Old 04-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Fabrizio Lippolis

Default etch installation on Compaq Proliant ML350 fails

I am trying to install Debian etch on a Compaq Proliant ML350. During
the installation process some hardware is recognized, the network card
too, and gets an IP address from the DHCP server. Before partitioning, a
message appears saying that the installation procedure can't find the
disks and asks to choose a driver. The machine has an Adaptec SCSI RAID
controller configured as RAID 5 with 3 disks connected to it. I tried to
choose some options, no way to go further. There is already a Debian
installation on this machine, so Debian works, but it's a woody with a
2.4 kernel. Now I want to format and start with a clean Debian
installation. Moreover I have installed etch on more modern HP servers
without problems. Any suggestion to complete the installation on this
machine?

Best regards,
*Fabrizio Lippolis*
phone +39.080.56.92.291
e-mail *fabrizio.lippolis@aurigaspa.com*
<mailto:fabrizio.lippolis@aurigaspa.com>

*Auriga SpA* - Strada Vassallo, 1 - 70125 Bari - IT
Phone +39.080.56.92.111 - Fax +39.080.56.92.112
www.aurigaspa.com <http://www.aurigaspa.com/> – info@aurigaspa.com
<mailto:info@aurigaspa.com>

Ai sensi del D.Lgs. 196/2003 si precisa che le informazioni contenute in
questo messaggio sono riservate ed a uso esclusivo del destinatario.
Qualora il presente messaggio Le fosse pervenuto per errore, La
invitiamo ad eliminarlo senza copiarlo e inoltrarlo a terzi, dandocene
gentilmente comunicazione. Grazie.

Pursuant to Legislative Decree No. 196/2003, you are hereby informed
that this message contains confidential information intended only for
the use of the addressee. If you are not the addressee, and have
received this message by mistake, please delete it and immediately
notify us. You may not copy or disseminate this message to anyone. Thank
you.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:55 PM
"Micaela Gallerini"

2008/4/14, Fabrizio Lippolis <fabrizio.lippolis@aurigaspa.com>:
> I am trying to install Debian etch on a Compaq Proliant ML350. During the
> installation process some hardware is recognized, the network card too, and
> gets an IP address from the DHCP server. Before partitioning, a message
> appears saying that the installation procedure can't find the disks and asks
> to choose a driver. The machine has an Adaptec SCSI RAID controller
> configured as RAID 5 with 3 disks connected to it. I tried to choose some
> options, no way to go further. There is already a Debian installation on
> this machine, so Debian works, but it's a woody with a 2.4 kernel. Now I
> want to format and start with a clean Debian installation. Moreover I have
> installed etch on more modern HP servers without problems. Any suggestion to
> complete the installation on this machine?

if you won't install etch by net-ist, try to set up the network and
the card network after the installation.

regards,

--
"all programs at word don't substitute human brain"
Rashna

Old 04-15-2008, 12:10 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 05:46:20PM +0200, Fabrizio Lippolis wrote:
> I am trying to install Debian etch on a Compaq Proliant ML350. During
> the installation process some hardware is recognized, the network card
> too, and gets an IP address from the DHCP server. Before partitioning, a
> message appears saying that the installation procedure can't find the
> disks and asks to choose a driver. The machine has an Adaptec SCSI RAID
> controller configured as RAID 5 with 3 disks connected to it. I tried to
> choose some options, no way to go further. There is already a Debian
> installation on this machine, so Debian works, but it's a woody with a
> 2.4 kernel. Now I want to format and start with a clean Debian
> installation. Moreover I have installed etch on more modern HP servers
> without problems. Any suggestion to complete the installation on this
> machine?

Confirm that you want to replace Woody with Etch rather than leaving
Woody intact and installing Etch on a different set of partitions
(perhaps with dual-boot).

If you want to replace Woody, have you considered just doing an update
to Sarge followed by an update to Etch?

Is it possible that Linux has removed support for the SCSI card in the
Etch kernel? Which generation (G#) is this proliant and which adaptec
scsi card?

Doug.