Old 08-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Denis Witt

Default Nagios shows only one Host (Services)

Hi,

after upgrade to Wheezy one of my Nagios installation shows only one (of
three) hosts on "Services"-Page. On the "Hosts"-Page all three machines
are listed and I can even go to the "Status-Detail"-Page.

Another Nagios instance works fine.

I've uploaded my config here: http://paste.debian.net/184146/

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Archive: 502E0947.1090903@concepts-and-training.de">http://lists.debian.org/502E0947.1090903@concepts-and-training.de

Old 08-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 11:05:11 +0200, Denis Witt wrote:

> after upgrade to Wheezy one of my Nagios installation shows only one (of
> three) hosts on "Services"-Page. On the "Hosts"-Page all three machines
> are listed and I can even go to the "Status-Detail"-Page.
>
> Another Nagios instance works fine.
>
> I've uploaded my config here: http://paste.debian.net/184146/
>
> Any ideas?

If you already discarded a problem from the configuration file, I would
try to stop and then start the service to ensure there's only one
instance up and running. I say this because I've read some reports from
users experiencing this problem of hosts/services not showing up when
several instances have been started.

Ah, look, it is documented:

Hosts and services intermittently disappear from the web interface
http://support.nagios.com/knowledgebase/faqs/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&ca tid=35&faq_id=21&expand=false&showdesc=true

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Denis Witt

Hi Camaleon,

thanks for your reply.

Camaleón wrote:

> If you already discarded a problem from the configuration file, I
> would try to stop and then start the service to ensure there's only
> one instance up and running. I say this because I've read some
> reports from users experiencing this problem of hosts/services not
> showing up when several instances have been started.

I check that and there was only one process running.

I stopped and started the Daemon anyway, but nothing changed.

>> Ah, look, it is documented:
>> Hosts and services intermittently disappear from the web interface
>> http://support.nagios.com/knowledgebase/faqs/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&ca tid=35&faq_id=21&expand=false&showdesc=true

The Services/Hosts didn't disappear from time to time, only the exact
same host is always shown with it services. The other two are missing,
but I can access their services any time without problems if I go to the
"Hosts" page (status.cgi?hostgroup=all&style=hostdetail).

>From there I can choose "View Status Detail For This Host" and all
services are shown fine.

It's like there is some kind of setting saying "Show only first host".
("Limit Results" is 100 per default but it doesn't matter if I set it to
a higher value.)

Bye.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 21:13:03 +0200, Denis Witt wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>
>> If you already discarded a problem from the configuration file, I would
>> try to stop and then start the service to ensure there's only one
>> instance up and running. I say this because I've read some reports from
>> users experiencing this problem of hosts/services not showing up when
>> several instances have been started.
>
> I check that and there was only one process running.
>
> I stopped and started the Daemon anyway, but nothing changed.

Ah, okay then. As you commented something about it was working fine in another
instance, that "triggered" a light in my head :-)

>> Ah, look, it is documented:
>> Hosts and services intermittently disappear from the web interface
>> http://support.nagios.com/knowledgebase/faqs/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&ca tid=35&faq_id=21&expand=false&showdesc=true
>
> The Services/Hosts didn't disappear from time to time, only the exact
> same host is always shown with it services. The other two are missing,
> but I can access their services any time without problems if I go to the
> "Hosts" page (status.cgi?hostgroup=all&style=hostdetail).

>From the configuration file you uploaded to Debian paste I only miss the
definitions for "services", is that correct? Unless they're set in a
different configuraion file, there should be listed somewhere.

> From there I can choose "View Status Detail For This Host" and all
> services are shown fine.
>
> It's like there is some kind of setting saying "Show only first host".
> ("Limit Results" is 100 per default but it doesn't matter if I set it to
> a higher value.)

Weird, yes. Maybe a problem/glitch coming from the web interface (the CGI
script in charge of rendering the information) and not from Nagios itself.
Can you generate a fake event to check if the reaction from Nagios is as
expected in all levels?

Also, given you updated from Squeeze, it could be useful to review the Nagios
logs and also starting, not from scratch but from a "basic" template and
then adding new hosts/services to see how it goes, to discard a simple
configuration issue that can be making noise.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Denis Witt

On 18.08.2012 22:43, Camaleón wrote:

I check that and there was only one process running.
I stopped and started the Daemon anyway, but nothing changed.

Ah, okay then. As you commented something about it was working fine in another
instance, that "triggered" a light in my head :-)

I have two machines running the Nagios Daemon. One for all internal
machines, one for all external machines.

From the configuration file you uploaded to Debian paste I only miss the
definitions for "services", is that correct? Unless they're set in a
different configuraion file, there should be listed somewhere.

Yes, it's rather long. Some Services are defined in
services_nagios2.cfg, but most Services are defined in the Host
configuration itself, example:

define service{
use generic-service ; Name
of service template to use

host_name vm.local
service_description Disk Space
check_command check_nrpe_1arg!check_all_disks
notification_interval 0
}

define service{
use generic-service ; Name
of service template to use

host_name vm.local
service_description VirtualBox WinXP IE6
check_command check_nrpe_1arg!check_vm_wxpie6
notification_interval 0
}

define service{
use generic-service ; Name
of service template to use

host_name vm.local
service_description VirtualBox WinXP IE7
check_command check_nrpe_1arg!check_vm_wxpie7
notification_interval 0
}

define service{
use generic-service ; Name
of service template to use

host_name vm.local
service_description VirtualBox WinXP IE8
check_command check_nrpe_1arg!check_vm_wxpie8
notification_interval 0
}

I didn't post them as I don't think it has anything to do with the problem.

Weird, yes. Maybe a problem/glitch coming from the web interface (the CGI
script in charge of rendering the information) and not from Nagios itself.
Can you generate a fake event to check if the reaction from Nagios is as
expected in all levels?

Events working fine. Warnings, Critical, Recovery, Acknowledge
everything works as expected. So, yes, it might be just a CGI-Problem.

Also, given you updated from Squeeze, it could be useful to review the Nagios
logs and also starting, not from scratch but from a "basic" template and
then adding new hosts/services to see how it goes, to discard a simple
configuration issue that can be making noise.

I've purged the Nagios installation (apt-get purge nagios*) and checked
that all config files we're deleted. The I reinstalled Nagios (localhost
was shown correctly). Then I just copied the dx_nagios2.cfg and the
vm_nagios2.cfg into "conf.d". Same problem as before.

Also I compared the "internal" config with the "external" config (again)
but can't see any difference. Beside from the Host-Config and the
htpasswd.users it is identical, according to "diff".

Anyway I was able to narrow it down to one single config file
(dx_nagios2.conf) but I can't see any flaw in it. The funny thing is, if
I rename the host from "dx.local" to "zdx.local" everything works fine
as the Host is the last Host to show up in "Services".

Strange, but I think I can live with that.

Thanks for your help.

Bye.

Archive: 50334F1F.5060400@concepts-and-training.de">http://lists.debian.org/50334F1F.5060400@concepts-and-training.de

Old 08-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 11:04:31 +0200, Denis Witt wrote:

> On 18.08.2012 22:43, Camaleón wrote:

>>> I check that and there was only one process running. I stopped and
>>> started the Daemon anyway, but nothing changed.
>
>> Ah, okay then. As you commented something about it was working fine in
>> another instance, that "triggered" a light in my head :-)
>
> I have two machines running the Nagios Daemon. One for all internal
> machines, one for all external machines.

Is there some kind of proxy or filter between the system running Nagios
and the client machine from where you are accessing (if any)?

(...)

>> Weird, yes. Maybe a problem/glitch coming from the web interface (the
>> CGI script in charge of rendering the information) and not from Nagios
>> itself. Can you generate a fake event to check if the reaction from
>> Nagios is as expected in all levels?
>
> Events working fine. Warnings, Critical, Recovery, Acknowledge
> everything works as expected. So, yes, it might be just a CGI-Problem.

(...)

> Anyway I was able to narrow it down to one single config file
> (dx_nagios2.conf) but I can't see any flaw in it. The funny thing is, if
> I rename the host from "dx.local" to "zdx.local" everything works fine
> as the Host is the last Host to show up in "Services".

That behaviour has a slight resemblance to this bug report:

While not exactly the same, both problems seem to be related with the
"host_name" variable and both experience problems to render the host from
the Services tab. Curious.

> Strange, but I think I can live with that.

If you were able to reproduce the issue it could be reported but given
that works fine in another host, you will have to convince developers
that the problem is not in your side which is a rather hard task :-)

> Thanks for your help.

You're welcome and good to know you at least discovered the problematic
file/setting.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Denis Witt

On 21.08.2012 18:21, Camaleón wrote:

Is there some kind of proxy or filter between the system running Nagios
and the client machine from where you are accessing (if any)?

No.

That behaviour has a slight resemblance to this bug report:

While not exactly the same, both problems seem to be related with the
"host_name" variable and both experience problems to render the host from
the Services tab. Curious.

Yes, but I don't think that "dx.local" is comparable to "null". Also
dx.local was the only host that was shown, pdc.local and vm.local wasn't.

Strange, but I think I can live with that.

If you were able to reproduce the issue it could be reported but given
that works fine in another host, you will have to convince developers
that the problem is not in your side which is a rather hard task :-)

I can't. I just can say that if I use the file with a name that isn't
the last to render it breaks things, but I have no idea why. And I can
say that the same config works fine with Squeeze.

Bye.

Archive: 5033B952.2060907@concepts-and-training.de">http://lists.debian.org/5033B952.2060907@concepts-and-training.de

Old 08-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 18:37:38 +0200, Denis Witt wrote:

> On 21.08.2012 18:21, Camaleón wrote:

>> That behaviour has a slight resemblance to this bug report:

>> While not exactly the same, both problems seem to be related with the
>> "host_name" variable and both experience problems to render the host
>> from the Services tab. Curious.
>
> Yes, but I don't think that "dx.local" is comparable to "null". Also
> dx.local was the only host that was shown, pdc.local and vm.local
> wasn't.

No, of course is not the same, but too much for a simply casualty that a
change in the name of the host can render it invisible from the services
tab :-)

>>> Strange, but I think I can live with that.
>
>> If you were able to reproduce the issue it could be reported but given
>> that works fine in another host, you will have to convince developers
>> that the problem is not in your side which is a rather hard task :-)
>
> I can't. I just can say that if I use the file with a name that isn't
> the last to render it breaks things, but I have no idea why. And I can
> say that the same config works fine with Squeeze.

And the same config also works fine in a second wheezy instance, right?

I can't recall if you already looked at the Nagios and/or Apache2 logs,
just in case...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Denis Witt

On 21.08.2012 19:27, Camaleón wrote:

I can't. I just can say that if I use the file with a name that isn't
the last to render it breaks things, but I have no idea why. And I can
say that the same config works fine with Squeeze.

And the same config also works fine in a second wheezy instance, right?

It's not exactly the same, but it is very very similar.

I can't recall if you already looked at the Nagios and/or Apache2 logs,
just in case...

The logs looks fine. Maybe it's just a strange char in the config, but
if so then it must be at the very end of the file as all Services are
shown, I deleted the last lines and put them in again by hand, but
nothing changed.

Anyway, I can see all services on one page again and even if the
Hostname isn't the right one, I can live with that.

Bye.