Old 08-17-2012, 03:46 AM
Thierry Chatelet

Default QSS button (Quick Security Setup)

On Friday 17 August 2012 05:21:23 Dr Beco wrote:
> Dear usernixes,
>
> According to:
>
> http://www.tp-link.com/lk/article/?id=171
>
> There are routers (coincidentally, I have one of them) that accept a
> new device to establish a wireless connection without having to use
> password. The method is simple:
>
> 1- Push the QSS button on the router.
> 2- Run the QSS.EXE program on your windows machine in 2 minutes after
> you pressed the QSS button.
>
> That is it! You are now connected!
>
> But, hey! QSS.EXE? How can we do it in our debian?
>
> Thanks!
> Beco.

User guide of your router will give you all information. If you dont have it,
download it.
Thierry

Old 08-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Dr Beco

> > On Friday 17 August 2012 05:21:23 Dr Beco wrote:
> > According to:
> >
> > http://www.tp-link.com/lk/article/?id=171
>

> On Friday 17 August 2012 Thierry wrote:
>User guide of your router will give you all information. If you dont have it,
>download it.
>Thierry

Hi Thierry,

Thanks for the reply, but the user guide did not help.

http://cz.tp-link.com/resources/software/20111616204111.pdf

I just want to know if there is a QSS program (binary) for debian.

Method ONE is as simple as:

1) Press QSS button on the router.
2) Run QSS.EXE on your computer.

User guide suggests my computer also has a QSS button, and that is not true.
Also, user guide name the binary as "Configuration Utility of QSS",
and even the pictures looks like windows style.

Thanks,
Beco.

--
Dr. Beco
A.I. research, Cognitive Scientist and Philosopher

Old 08-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On Friday 17 August 2012 07:41:28 Dr Beco wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, but the user guide did not help.
>
> http://cz.tp-link.com/resources/software/20111616204111.pdf
>
> I just want to know if there is a QSS program (binary) for debian.

I guess no.

> Method ONE is as simple as:
>
> 1) Press QSS button on the router.
> 2) Run QSS.EXE on your computer.
>
> User guide suggests my computer also has a QSS button, and that is not
> true. Also, user guide name the binary as "Configuration Utility of QSS",
> and even the pictures looks like windows style.
>

> Thanks,
> Beco.

But, using a wired connection as in paragraph 3.1, 3.2, you should be able to
use the QSS from the router thru your internet explorer as shown in 4.3 and
later. Good luck!!!
Thierry

Old 08-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Brian

On Fri 17 Aug 2012 at 00:21:23 -0300, Dr Beco wrote:

> According to:
>
> http://www.tp-link.com/lk/article/?id=171
>
> There are routers (coincidentally, I have one of them) that accept a
> new device to establish a wireless connection without having to use
> password. The method is simple:
>
> 1- Push the QSS button on the router.
> 2- Run the QSS.EXE program on your windows machine in 2 minutes after
> you pressed the QSS button.
>
> That is it! You are now connected!
>
> But, hey! QSS.EXE? How can we do it in our debian?

You install and set up wpasupplicant to do it.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Darac Marjal

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:21:23AM -0300, Dr Beco wrote:
> Dear usernixes,
>
> According to:
>
> http://www.tp-link.com/lk/article/?id=171
>
> There are routers (coincidentally, I have one of them) that accept a
> new device to establish a wireless connection without having to use
> password. The method is simple:
>
> 1- Push the QSS button on the router.
> 2- Run the QSS.EXE program on your windows machine in 2 minutes after
> you pressed the QSS button.
>
> That is it! You are now connected!
>
> But, hey! QSS.EXE? How can we do it in our debian?

The generic term for this is "Wifi Protected Setup" or WPS. Support
isn't terribly well integrated into linux's wireless tools at the
moment, but you can install "reaver" (apt-get install reaver), which
should help you get connected.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Brian

On Fri 17 Aug 2012 at 10:52:30 +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:21:23AM -0300, Dr Beco wrote:
> > Dear usernixes,
> >
> > According to:
> >
> > http://www.tp-link.com/lk/article/?id=171
> >
> > There are routers (coincidentally, I have one of them) that accept a
> > new device to establish a wireless connection without having to use
> > password. The method is simple:
> >
> > 1- Push the QSS button on the router.
> > 2- Run the QSS.EXE program on your windows machine in 2 minutes after
> > you pressed the QSS button.
> >
> > That is it! You are now connected!
> >
> > But, hey! QSS.EXE? How can we do it in our debian?
>
> The generic term for this is "Wifi Protected Setup" or WPS. Support
> isn't terribly well integrated into linux's wireless tools at the
> moment, but you can install "reaver" (apt-get install reaver), which
> should help you get connected.

Why is a brute force attack program needed to use something which is
integrated into wpa_supplicant and wpa_gui?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Darac Marjal

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 01:36:23PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 17 Aug 2012 at 10:52:30 +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:21:23AM -0300, Dr Beco wrote:
> > > Dear usernixes,
> > >
> > > According to:
> > >
> > > http://www.tp-link.com/lk/article/?id=171
> > >
> > > There are routers (coincidentally, I have one of them) that accept a
> > > new device to establish a wireless connection without having to use
> > > password. The method is simple:
> > >
> > > 1- Push the QSS button on the router.
> > > 2- Run the QSS.EXE program on your windows machine in 2 minutes after
> > > you pressed the QSS button.
> > >
> > > That is it! You are now connected!
> > >
> > > But, hey! QSS.EXE? How can we do it in our debian?
> >
> > The generic term for this is "Wifi Protected Setup" or WPS. Support
> > isn't terribly well integrated into linux's wireless tools at the
> > moment, but you can install "reaver" (apt-get install reaver), which
> > should help you get connected.
>
> Why is a brute force attack program needed to use something which is
> integrated into wpa_supplicant and wpa_gui?

Is it? Last time I looked it wasn't. If wpa_supplicant handles it now,
then that's a lot easier. (Perhaps updating the apt summary might've
helped me

Old 08-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 00:21:23 -0300, Dr Beco wrote:

(...)

> But, hey! QSS.EXE? How can we do it in our debian?

You can't (unless you run wine) so don't run it and proceed with the
usual configuration steps to setup your wireless AP ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Dr Beco

Hi fellows,

> Thierry wrote:
> But, using a wired connection as in paragraph 3.1, 3.2, you should be able to
> use the QSS from the router thru your internet explorer as shown in 4.3 and
> later. Good luck!!!
> Thierry

Thierry, I don't have windows in this machine, neither internet
explorer (argh!), and the whole point of the button is to do a "quick"
setup without the need to know admin password, or even the very
wireless passphrase! So if I need to boot windows or use a wired
cable, it is not looking so "quick" anymore.

Darac, thanks, but I woudn't use brute force. I think "reaver" is more
like a tool to help in an inhospitable situation.

> Brian wrote:
> You install and set up wpasupplicant to do it.

After googling and researching I'm still in the dark. It looks like
this is the way to go. But I never used it before. Is it like a "PAM"
module that you set up in some config file?

This site tells a lot about configuration, but nothing about WPS or QSS.
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_install_wpa_supplicant
When using wpa_supplicant, the examples need a passphrase or password.

The man page also does not help:
http://linux.die.net/man/5/wpa_supplicant.conf

This site explains some config files in detail, but I still cant
figure out how to make this thing work.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant

I bet it is not that hard. After all, it is a quick setup!

Edited:
After trying wpa_cli, I could find a PBC push button! It connected my
netbook to the router (successful connection message) , but I received
no IP (IP field left blank).

Any ideas or site with some tutorial?

Thanks,
Beco.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:46 PM
shawn wilson

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Dr Beco <rcb@beco.cc> wrote:
> Hi fellows,
>
>> Thierry wrote:
>> But, using a wired connection as in paragraph 3.1, 3.2, you should be able to
>> use the QSS from the router thru your internet explorer as shown in 4.3 and
>> later. Good luck!!!
>> Thierry
>
> Thierry, I don't have windows in this machine, neither internet
> explorer (argh!), and the whole point of the button is to do a "quick"
> setup without the need to know admin password, or even the very
> wireless passphrase! So if I need to boot windows or use a wired
> cable, it is not looking so "quick" anymore.
>
> Darac, thanks, but I woudn't use brute force. I think "reaver" is more
> like a tool to help in an inhospitable situation.

the point of reaver is to show you why wps is *bad* - disable it if
you can. i mean, it's almost as bad as wep - it doesn't buy you much
as far as security goes. if you don't like psk stuff, setup radius or
similar.