FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Joel Rees
 
Default Looking for interactive programming with simple graphics like old CoCo BASIC or turbo pascal

On 8/15/12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 22:32:43 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to show my son how to use his computer to help him solve his
>> high school math. He's in his second year at an engineering/technology
>> prep high school here in the Kansai area of Japan and has trouble seeing
>> the reasons for the methods of solution they are trying to teach him by
>> rote.
>>
>> heh.
>>
>> Anyway, what I'm looking for is something that will allow him to loop
>> through the equations and watch the results. Numbers are easy, of
>> course. Perl (his only language so far) gets us that far.
>
> (...)
>
> How about Free Pascal and the Lazarus IDE? As I have understood, it's the
> linux counterpart for Turbo Pascal :-?

Hmm.

Breaking out synaptic, I see that there are metapackages for lazarus
and freepascal.

The lazarus metapackage loads the gtk2 variant of the ide. Any
thoughts about the qt4 variant? (I'm inclined to go with the
metapackage if I do this, QT has never been anything but opaque to me,
so far.)

Wow! 109M download, 691M of disk space expected to be used.

Well, I do have the free space, and I see that part of that is gdb and
other dev stuff I need anyway.

> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
>

--
Joel Rees


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAAr43iP1XoSjAcqn9Q9jSbnmDWwdT+Vci8c2_aaqKHtFeHYmE A@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAAr43iP1XoSjAcqn9Q9jSbnmDWwdT+Vci8c2_aaqKHtFeHYmE A@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 08-17-2012, 04:29 AM
Jude DaShiell
 
Default Looking for interactive programming with simple graphics like old CoCo BASIC or turbo pascal

bwbasic is available along with g77 and a few versions of forth.
There's a fortran95 system that can be downloaded outside of debian that
does graphics and works on windows systems too and if the person you're
trying to help is engineering-bound, forth is a good language to pick
up. Julian V. Noble wrote a book called "Scientific Forth" which ought
to help out quite a bit.

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Joel Rees wrote:

> On 8/15/12, Camale?n <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 22:32:43 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to show my son how to use his computer to help him solve his
> >> high school math. He's in his second year at an engineering/technology
> >> prep high school here in the Kansai area of Japan and has trouble seeing
> >> the reasons for the methods of solution they are trying to teach him by
> >> rote.
> >>
> >> heh.
> >>
> >> Anyway, what I'm looking for is something that will allow him to loop
> >> through the equations and watch the results. Numbers are easy, of
> >> course. Perl (his only language so far) gets us that far.
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > How about Free Pascal and the Lazarus IDE? As I have understood, it's the
> > linux counterpart for Turbo Pascal :-?
>
> Hmm.
>
> Breaking out synaptic, I see that there are metapackages for lazarus
> and freepascal.
>
> The lazarus metapackage loads the gtk2 variant of the ide. Any
> thoughts about the qt4 variant? (I'm inclined to go with the
> metapackage if I do this, QT has never been anything but opaque to me,
> so far.)
>
> Wow! 109M download, 691M of disk space expected to be used.
>
> Well, I do have the free space, and I see that part of that is gdb and
> other dev stuff I need anyway.
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > --
> > Camale?n
> >
>
> --
> Joel Rees
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAAr43iP1XoSjAcqn9Q9jSbnmDWwdT+Vci8c2_aaqKHtFeHYmE A@mail.gmail.com
>
>

Support
your local
church or
synagogue,
worship at
Bank Of
America!
----------------------------------------------------------------

Jude <jdashiel-at-shellworld-dot-net>
<http://www.shellworld.net/~jdashiel/nj.html>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: alpine.BSF.2.01.1208170025330.11742@freire1.furyyj beyq.arg">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.BSF.2.01.1208170025330.11742@freire1.furyyj beyq.arg
 
Old 08-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Looking for interactive programming with simple graphics like old CoCo BASIC or turbo pascal

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 09:27:46 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:

> On 8/15/12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> How about Free Pascal and the Lazarus IDE? As I have understood, it's
>> the linux counterpart for Turbo Pascal :-?
>
> Hmm.
>
> Breaking out synaptic, I see that there are metapackages for lazarus and
> freepascal.

A quick note about this.

I don't recall what debian flavour you're running but if you finally
decide to give these applications a chance, ensure you install the latest
available versions (wheezy/sid should be fine but squeze may include an
old release; if that's the case, the upstream project usually provide
updated precompiled packages for many distributions).

> The lazarus metapackage loads the gtk2 variant of the ide. Any thoughts
> about the qt4 variant? (I'm inclined to go with the metapackage if I do
> this, QT has never been anything but opaque to me, so far.)

Can't comment on the packages themselves, sorry, I never used Lazarus/
Freepascal before but this is what users recommend as a replacement for
TurboPascal.

> Wow! 109M download, 691M of disk space expected to be used.

Wow, that's *a lot*.

> Well, I do have the free space, and I see that part of that is gdb and
> other dev stuff I need anyway.

Consider installing that big amount of data in a virtual machine instead
filling up your disk in a very insane way because if you finally don't
like it, it's easier to delete a VM than having to remove those
packages ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/k0lq8v$o53$15@ger.gmane.org
 
Old 08-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Slavko
 
Default Looking for interactive programming with simple graphics like old CoCo BASIC or turbo pascal

Ahoj,

Dňa Fri, 17 Aug 2012 16:07:59 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
napÃ*sal:

> > The lazarus metapackage loads the gtk2 variant of the ide. Any thoughts
> > about the qt4 variant? (I'm inclined to go with the metapackage if I do
> > this, QT has never been anything but opaque to me, so far.)
>
> Can't comment on the packages themselves, sorry, I never used Lazarus/
> Freepascal before but this is what users recommend as a replacement for
> TurboPascal.

I was playing with it and using in my school to tech students some years
ago and i translated the Lazarus GUI.

The Lazarus is Delphi 6 replacement. The developers goal is to provide
full compatibility (not in code, but only functional) replacement of
the mentioned Delphi 6. It is based on FreePascal, which is not
TurboPascal replacement, but provides full (and modern) OOP ObjectPascal.

The Lazarus Qt IDE is not packaged in Debian yet - it provides empty
package, which depends on the GTK only. I was playing with Qt3 and Lazarus
IDE and it was working for me, after some tweaking - there was wiki about
it.

IMHO, the main advantage of the Lazarus and the FreePascal is, that they
both provides full portability. They works on Linux and Windows too, and
there is possible to crosscompile (i never tried it) apps.

Main disadvantage is, that any Lazarus application contains full LCL
(Lazarus Component Library). Yes any, the "Hello world" too and then
simple apps binaries are too big (some MB).

There are some apps (GUI and nonGUI) builded with FreePascal (and maybe
with Lazarus too) in debian repo, try to find - i don't remember them - to
see effect.

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:58 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org