Old 08-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Camaleón

Default CIFS mount intermittently unavailable: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -5

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:30:37 +1000, Robert S wrote:

> I have a debian machine called "debian" and a windows XP machine called
> "server". I have a permanent mounted read-only share called
> serverdoc. My /etc/fstab looks like this:
>
> //server/doc /opt/chroot/mnt/server cifs
> credentials=/
root/.smbmount,username=medical,uid=medical,file_mode=0 755,dir_mode=0755,noserverino
> 0 0
>
> This works well most of the time but at times I get a input/output error
> when I try to access this share. My syslog shows the following:
>
> Aug 16 15:36:35 debian kernel: [1289131.676869] Status code returned
> 0xc00000d0 NT_STATUS_REQUEST_NOT_ACCEPTED

(...)

That's usually a problem coming from the Windows's XP "idiotic" policy
that has reached the maximum of simultaneous allowed user connection in a
workgroup network. IIRC, the limit is set in ten (10) users for XP
Professional. You can easily check this from the Windows MMC (system
tools/shared folders/sessions).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón