Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

Default command line browser questions: - javascript - lynx history

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 09:08:47PM +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> Does anyone know how I can view the lynx history?

for me the backspace key works to see the history of the current lynx
session

> So how can I see the prior websites accessed from say the last week?

>From time to time I manually save the contents of the history page

> Does anyone know of a command line browser that supports javascript?

links2 in etch has a limited support for javascript

It has been removed in newer versions (lenny)

> (lynx doesn't like javascript).

A few javascript enabled sites can be visited with lynx by looking at
the html source of the page (backslash key in lynx) and serching the
links to be followed

> Its ok if its not lynx, but I think I will still use lynx for every day
> browsing since it works well with most sites and is extremely accessible.

90% of the time, what can not be visited with lynx is only a waste of
time when visited with other browsers. At least it is so for my personal
non-blind (but GUI-impaired) needs.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Celejar

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:52:26 +0200
NN_il_Confusionario <pinkof.pallus@tiscalinet.it> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 09:08:47PM +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:

[snip]

> > Does anyone know of a command line browser that supports javascript?
>
> links2 in etch has a limited support for javascript
>
> It has been removed in newer versions (lenny)
>
> > (lynx doesn't like javascript).
>
> A few javascript enabled sites can be visited with lynx by looking at
> the html source of the page (backslash key in lynx) and serching the
> links to be followed
>
> > Its ok if its not lynx, but I think I will still use lynx for every day
> > browsing since it works well with most sites and is extremely accessible.
>
> 90% of the time, what can not be visited with lynx is only a waste of
> time when visited with other browsers. At least it is so for my personal
> non-blind (but GUI-impaired) needs.

As I have written in other mails to this list, there is apparently no
non GUI browser with proper Javascript support. While I agree with
NN_il_Confusionario that much Javascript content is unnecessary, my
great problem is that my consumer wireless AP / switch / router
interfaces all require Javascript, so I can't modify their
configurations from the cli.

Celejar

Old 04-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Jasper

Daniel Dalton <daniel.dalton <at> iinet.net.au> writes:
> Does anyone know how I can view the lynx history?
> So how can I see the prior websites accessed from say the last week?

Lynx does not keep a history between sessions.
Coockies can be set to be preserved, history not, afaik.

You may keep a complete session by hitting the capital V, that gives a list of
all visited links, hit the backspace for the source of that list, hit p to print
it to file, give it a name ending in .html and you have your session recorded.

--Jasper.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:31 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:06:53AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> great problem is that my consumer wireless AP / switch / router
> interfaces all require Javascript,

I agree that this is a very bad thing.

For my good luck, almost all such equipements with which I had to
personally interact had also pages (hidden inside frames) for the most
impotrant settings which are directly reachable without javascript (but
to discover these pages I had to use a javascript enabled browser. Then
bookmarking these pages was sufficient).

For other equipements this was not possible, but the configutation was
saved in a text file which can be downloaded and uploaded via ftp.

Other equipements have a telnet interface.

But I know that there are also completely unfortunate equipements.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Celejar

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:57:38 -0500

> On 04/14/08 07:52, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 09:08:47PM +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> [snip]
> >> Does anyone know of a command line browser that supports javascript?
> >
> > links2 in etch has a limited support for javascript
> >
> > It has been removed in newer versions (lenny)
>
> js support, or links2? (links2 2.1pre33-1 is in Sid.)

The former; from the links2 changelog:

=== RELEASE 2.1pre29 ===

[snip]

Mon Apr 16 01:49:07 MET DST 2007 mikulas:

Javascript was removed. The reason is that it is very buggy, Martin
Pergel doesn't have time to develop it and code is so messy that no one
else can understand it.

If you use links for special purposes (embedded devices, etc.), you can
bring javascript back by copying javascript files from previous release,
removing "dnl javascript" lines from configure.in, adding *.c and *.h
files to Makefile.am and re-running automake and autoconf.

Javascript hooks from main code were not removed --- they just won't be
maintained.

> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA USA

Celejar

Old 04-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Celejar

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:31:18 +0200
NN_il_Confusionario <pinkof.pallus@tiscalinet.it> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:06:53AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > great problem is that my consumer wireless AP / switch / router
> > interfaces all require Javascript,
>
> I agree that this is a very bad thing.
>
> For my good luck, almost all such equipements with which I had to
> personally interact had also pages (hidden inside frames) for the most
> impotrant settings which are directly reachable without javascript (but
> to discover these pages I had to use a javascript enabled browser. Then
> bookmarking these pages was sufficient).

Thanks, perhaps I'll look into that.

> For other equipements this was not possible, but the configutation was
> saved in a text file which can be downloaded and uploaded via ftp.

I haven't seen that option, but maybe it's there somewhere.

> Other equipements have a telnet interface.

I'm pretty sure mine don't; my impression was that that's a feature
usually found on more expensive, 'business' type units.

> But I know that there are also completely unfortunate equipements.

Yes; . I have just retired an old Netgear MR814v2 (which seemed to
be failing), which completely refused to talk to you if you didn't
speak JS, and I currently use a couple of Trendware units (TEW-432BRP
and TEW-452BRP), which both use the same management interface, which is
partially but incompletely functional without JS support.

Celejar

Old 04-14-2008, 03:32 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 08:57:38AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > links2 in etch has a limited support for javascript
> > It has been removed in newer versions (lenny)
> js support, or links2? (links2 2.1pre33-1 is in Sid.)

js. Sorry for my (very) bad english.
As it was already written past month,

Also elinks seem to have a partial javascript support based on
mozilla's one, and it seems to be activated in debian/rules for one of
the elinks packages in experimental (I have not cheked the other ones):
--with-spidermonkey

Old 04-17-2008, 01:45 AM
Daniel Dalton