Old 04-17-2008, 06:41 AM
Daniel Dalton

Default command line browser questions: - javascript - lynx history

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Celejar wrote:

I believe so; you would probably get the source deb and build it
yourself with JS configured.

Will look into that when I get a chance. Thanks.

NN_il_Confusionario that much Javascript content is unnecessary, my

Yes, I agree... I would use firefox if I could, but unfortunately more
sites work with lynx than talk with firefox... :-)

I rarely have any real problems with FF (IW); most of my difficulties
derive from the fact that I am unwilling to install Flash, but my
impression from this list is that there's actually quite good Flash
support via the flash plugin, at least on i386 and possibly other
architectures that can use some sort of wrapper. What sites give you

Yes, flash is ok on my sighted brothers debian box...

trouble with FF?

Its the fact I'm blind actually, firefox works fine with them... Just orca
doesn't read them well...
Like firefox and flash and everything would be fine on this box for a
sighted person since I'm totally blind and use braille and speech that is
where the problem is...

Either hoping for orca to improve, or hoping for a cmd solution...

great problem is that my consumer wireless AP / switch / router
interfaces all require Javascript, so I can't modify their
configurations from the cli.

Uh... My router seems to work fine, but I mostly ssh in anyway.
Openwrt's web gui seems to be pretty good... :-)

That's fine if your router runs Openwrt; mine (Trendnet TEW-452BRP)

Yes, I know.

isn't listed as supported (but it's also not on the unsupported page).

I wouldn't try it then...

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
<daniel.dalton@iinet.net.au>

Old 04-17-2008, 07:26 AM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:17:05PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:45:30 +1000 (EST)
> Daniel Dalton <daniel.dalton@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Celejar wrote:
> > If I was to use elinks must I compile from source to get javascript
> > support?
> I believe so; you would probably get the source deb and build it
> yourself with JS configured.

I am quite sure that among prebuild debian packages only the
experimental elinks (partially) supports javascript:

$ apt-cache pkgnames|grep elinks
elinks-data
elinks-doc
elinks-lite
elinks

$ apt-cache policy elinks
elinks:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 0.11.1-1.2etch1
Version table:
0.12~20080127-2 0
899 http://ftp.it.debian.org experimental/main Packages
0.11.3-6 0
900 http://ftp.it.debian.org unstable/main Packages
0.11.3-5 0
998 http://ftp.it.debian.org testing/main Packages
0.11.1-1.2etch1 0
999 http://ftp.it.debian.org stable/main Packages
999 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
0.10.4-7.1 0
999 http://ftp.it.debian.org oldstable/main Packages
999 http://security.debian.org oldstable/updates/main Packages

$ apt-cache show elinks|grep ^Depends:
Depends: elinks-data (= 0.12~20080127-2), guile-1.8-libs, libbz2-1.0, libc6 (>= 2.7-1), libexpat1 (>= 1.95.8), libgmp3c2, libgnutls26 (>= 2.2.0-0), libgpmg1 (>= 1.20.0), libidn11 (>= 0.5.18), libltdl3 (>= 1.5.2-2), liblua50 (>= 5.0.3), liblualib50 (>= 5.0.3), libmozjs0d (>= 1.8.1.5), libperl5.8 (>= 5.8.8), libruby1.8 (>= 1.8.6.111), libsmbclient (>= 3.0.2a-1), python2.4 (>= 2.3.90), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.0.2)
Depends: elinks-data (= 0.11.3-6), libbz2-1.0, libc6 (>= 2.7-1), libexpat1 (>= 1.95.8), libgnutls26 (>= 2.2.0-0), libgpmg1 (>= 1.20.0), libidn11 (>= 0.5.18), liblua50 (>= 5.0.3), liblualib50 (>= 5.0.3), libperl5.8 (>= 5.8.8), libruby1.8 (>= 1.8.6.114), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
Depends: elinks-data (= 0.11.3-5), libbz2-1.0, libc6 (>= 2.7-1), libexpat1 (>= 1.95.8), libgnutls26 (>= 2.2.0-0), libgpmg1 (>= 1.20.0), libidn11 (>= 0.5.18), liblua50 (>= 5.0.3), liblualib50 (>= 5.0.3), libperl5.8 (>= 5.8.8), libruby1.8 (>= 1.8.6.114), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
Depends: libbz2-1.0, libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1), libexpat1 (>= 1.95.8), libgnutls13 (>= 1.4.0-0), libgpmg1 (>= 1.19.6-1), liblua50 (>= 5.0.3), liblualib50 (>= 5.0.3), libperl5.8 (>= 5.8.8), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1), debconf
Depends: libbz2-1.0, libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21), libexpat1 (>= 1.95.8), libgnutls11 (>= 1.0.16), libgpmg1 (>= 1.19.6-1), liblua50 (>= 5.0.2-5), liblualib50 (>= 5.0.2-5), libperl5.8 (>= 5.8.4), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1), debconf

(note the libmozjs0d in the first line only)

However, the sources for elinks in experimental compile fine even under sarge.

The instructions for activating javascript (and in particoular
installing the needed debian packages) are in

elinks-0.12~20080127/doc/ecmascript.txt

> > What is its javascript like? Does it work with youtube for example?
> I have no idea.

I also have no idea. I have just tried to visit youtube with my newly
compiled elinks, but I have to admit that I am not able to navigate
youtube (yes, I am too stupid to be able to use modern websites and GUIs)

> > > great problem is that my consumer wireless AP / switch / router
> > > interfaces all require Javascript, so I can't modify their
> > > configurations from the cli.
> >
> > Uh... My router seems to work fine, but I mostly ssh in anyway.
> > Openwrt's web gui seems to be pretty good... :-)
>
> That's fine if your router runs Openwrt; mine (Trendnet TEW-452BRP)
> isn't listed as supported (but it's also not on the unsupported page).

I have forgotten to say other thing about such equipements:

beware of apparently slight changes. I have seen two such equipements by
edimax, with the same model number, same (very low) price, and with
_exactly_ the same external look (but _slightly_ different heavvy paper
box). One has telnet, the other one not. The files that one sees by ftp
are quite different (but the important file, the configuration file, is
almost the same). One web interface is usable without javascript (once
one already knows which pages to visit), the other one is not
(fortunately, it is the one with telnet which has the most unfriendly
web interface).

Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Daniel Dalton

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:45:30 +1000 (EST)
What is its javascript like? Does it work with youtube for example?

I have no idea.

I also have no idea. I have just tried to visit youtube with my newly
compiled elinks, but I have to admit that I am not able to navigate
youtube (yes, I am too stupid to be able to use modern websites and GUIs)

Damn, I'll try later, but that's quite sad...
Hopefully I can get access to more websites with it though.
How about hotmail.com
Can you access that? Or does it give you javascript errors?

Thanks,

Old 04-17-2008, 11:03 AM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 07:31:41PM +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> >I have just tried to visit youtube with my newly
> >compiled elinks, but I have to admit that I am not able to navigate
> >youtube (yes, I am too stupid to be able to use modern websites and GUIs)
> Damn, I'll try later, but that's quite sad...
> Hopefully I can get access to more websites with it though.
> How about hotmail.com
> Can you access that? Or does it give you javascript errors?

with 'o' key in links (Option manager) I have activated two keys for
ECMAScript

Enable
Script error reporting

I have no javascript errors; for example I am now in
http://m.it.youtube.com/details?v=jcvfaMRf2P0&warned=1&v2=1
(but I do not know if javascript was needed to reach tha page).

The problem for me with youtube is that *I* am not able to navigate
youtube. Up to now I had to use youtube only one time, about 9 months
ago, and it took me at lest 5 minutes with firefox to find what to do in
the page to find the link to download the file. I have no understanding
of the "logic" behind any kind of "modern" interfaces.

With hotmail.com on the other hand I have an error:

ReferenceError: onLoad_Login is not defined

and then the page says

JavaScript required to sign in

Windows Live ID requires JavaScript to sign in. This web browser either does not support
JavaScript, or scripts are being blocked.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Celejar

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:41:04 +1000 (EST)
Daniel Dalton <daniel.dalton@iinet.net.au> wrote:

[snip]

> >> Yes, I agree... I would use firefox if I could, but unfortunately more
> >> sites work with lynx than talk with firefox... :-)
> >
> > I rarely have any real problems with FF (IW); most of my difficulties
> > derive from the fact that I am unwilling to install Flash, but my
> > impression from this list is that there's actually quite good Flash
> > support via the flash plugin, at least on i386 and possibly other
> > architectures that can use some sort of wrapper. What sites give you
>
> Yes, flash is ok on my sighted brothers debian box...
>
> > trouble with FF?
>
> Its the fact I'm blind actually, firefox works fine with them... Just orca
> doesn't read them well...
> Like firefox and flash and everything would be fine on this box for a
> sighted person since I'm totally blind and use braille and speech that is
> where the problem is...
> Either hoping for orca to improve, or hoping for a cmd solution...

I was not reading this thread very carefully, and I didn't realize that
you were referring to speech support; I should have realized that you
meant exactly what you said when you wrote "talk with firefox" ...

> >> Uh... My router seems to work fine, but I mostly ssh in anyway.
> >> Openwrt's web gui seems to be pretty good... :-)
> >
> > That's fine if your router runs Openwrt; mine (Trendnet TEW-452BRP)
>
> Yes, I know.
>
> > isn't listed as supported (but it's also not on the unsupported page).
>
> I wouldn't try it then...

>From a quick perusal of the Openwrt site and Wiki that the two main
determinants of support are the chipset and the memory (flash and vram)
capacity. The unit is Atheros based (it's a 108 super g model), for
which there's apparently at least some support, but there's apparently
no real way to determine the memory capacity short of opening the box,
checking part numbers, and then researching them.

> Daniel Dalton

Celejar

Old 04-18-2008, 01:34 AM
Kevin Mark

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 01:03:19PM +0200, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 07:31:41PM +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> > >I have just tried to visit youtube with my newly
> > >compiled elinks, but I have to admit that I am not able to navigate
> > >youtube (yes, I am too stupid to be able to use modern websites and GUIs)
> > Damn, I'll try later, but that's quite sad...
> > Hopefully I can get access to more websites with it though.
> > How about hotmail.com
> > Can you access that? Or does it give you javascript errors?
>
> with 'o' key in links (Option manager) I have activated two keys for
> ECMAScript
>
> Enable
> Script error reporting
>
> I have no javascript errors; for example I am now in
> http://m.it.youtube.com/details?v=jcvfaMRf2P0&warned=1&v2=1
> (but I do not know if javascript was needed to reach tha page).
>
> The problem for me with youtube is that *I* am not able to navigate
> youtube. Up to now I had to use youtube only one time, about 9 months
> ago, and it took me at lest 5 minutes with firefox to find what to do in
> the page to find the link to download the file. I have no understanding
> of the "logic" behind any kind of "modern" interfaces.

Not that this solves your problem but are you aware that there are
scripts in Debian that you can use to download video files from YouTube
and other sites.
-K
--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|

Old 04-18-2008, 05:28 AM
NN_il_Confusionario

> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:26:57 +0200
> NN_il_Confusionario <pinkof.pallus@tiscalinet.it> wrote:
> > I have just tried to visit youtube with my newly
> > compiled elinks, but I have to admit that I am not able to navigate
> > youtube

Kevin Mark's idea of using

$ apt-cache search youtube
clive - Video extraction utility for YouTube, Google Video and other video sites
libwebservice-youtube-perl - Perl module that provides an interface to YouTube services
metacafe-dl - download videos from metacafe.com
nicovideo-dl - Download videos from www.nicovideo.jp
totem-plugins - Plugins for the Totem media player
youtube-dl - download videos from youtube.com

$ apt-cache search hotmail
gotmail - utility to download email from a Hotmail or MSN account
hotsmtp - SMTP to Hotmail (HTTPmail) gateway
hotway - POP3 to Hotmail (HTTPmail) gateway

might be quite useful. For me at least youtube-dl (the sid vesrion I
have just installed in etch) is the easiest way to access youtube
(conbined with google searches for youtube using lynx. And obviously wget).

> > I have forgotten to say other thing about such equipements:
> >
> > beware of apparently slight changes.

Another thing: in such edimax equipements, javascript is heavvily used
for "user input validation". Yes, quite probabily the (closed source)
software on the router does not check for correctnes of the input, but
the javascript code which the browser downloads and executes tries to do
this. Go figure. At least this is not publicized as a security measure.