Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 AM
"Weaver"

Default Logging ISP Download Speed.

>> > Rick, careful when quoting...

>> > Weaver, you don't have to center your attention on the time it takes
>> > but the download speed (KiB/MiB per second). As I said, using Oracle
>> > servers I can get up to 10 MiB/s which is the best number I have
>> > ever got.

>> > That's a common feeling from users with high speed links, but there
>> > is not much we can do, simply put: todays Internet is not prepared
>> > for providing that speeds but in counted sites/hosts :-(
>> >
>> > Anyway, remember that you are paying for 100 Mbps that is around 12
>> > MiB/s.
>>
>> If you are referring to the download I mention, it's not even 1 MB/s.

>> > (...)
>> >
>> > Can you please provide the results of this speed test?
>> >
>> > http://www.speedtest.net/
>> >
>> > I get:
>> >
>> > Ping: 3 ms
>> > Download: 86.09 Mbps
>> > Upload: 9.96 Mbps
>>
>> I get:
>>
>> Ping: 69 ms
>> Download: 27.71 Mb/s
>> Upload: 2.28 Mb/s
>
> For comparision DSL 18000 + 1 MBit Upload speed:
>
> M-Net in Germany, Nuremberg
>
> Ping: 28 ms
> Download: 12,32 Mbps
> Upload: 1,06 Mbps

There are meny points of comparison.

I'm paying 83.5878 Euros.

As long as things like videos didn't have to stop and buffer two or three
time while I was watching them, I could be quite happy.
If I was getting an ADSL1 service and that's all I was paying for, I would
be quite happy.

But that is not the situation....yet.

It's the deal they are about to be hit with.
If that's all the product they are prepared to deliver, that's all they
will get paid for.
Regards,

Weaver.
--
"I invite you to name a society that created a secret prison
system, outside the rule of law, where torture takes place,

Old 08-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Donnerstag, 23. August 2012 schrieb Weaver:
> [...]
[…]

> >> If you are referring to the download I mention, it's not even 1
> >> MB/s.

> >> I get:
> >>
> >> Ping: 69 ms
> >> Download: 27.71 Mb/s
> >> Upload: 2.28 Mb/s
> >
> > For comparision DSL 18000 + 1 MBit Upload speed:
> >
> > M-Net in Germany, Nuremberg
> >
> > Ping: 28 ms
> > Download: 12,32 Mbps
> > Upload: 1,06 Mbps
>
> There are meny points of comparison.
>
> I'm paying 83.5878 Euros.

I am paying not even half of this . Its about 35 Euro.

For 80 Euros I would expect something more than this as well.

> As long as things like videos didn't have to stop and buffer two or
> three time while I was watching them, I could be quite happy.
> If I was getting an ADSL1 service and that's all I was paying for, I
> would be quite happy.

Yes, of course. Didn´t want to imply otherwise.

Actually I think the figures I get are quite close to what I pay for.
Download could be a bit faster maybe, but its a better relation than 27 to
100 Mbps.

But then the server have to deliver the bandwidth as well as each hop in
between. This becomes more difficult the higher the bandwidth is. As you are
for sure not the only one streaming videos from the net .

Old 08-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 13:29:52 -0700, Weaver wrote:

(...)

>> Can you please provide the results of this speed test?
>>
>> http://www.speedtest.net/
>>
>> I get:
>>
>> Ping: 3 ms
>> Download: 86.09 Mbps
>> Upload: 9.96 Mbps
>
> I get:
>
> Ping: 69 ms
> Download: 27.71 Mb/s
> Upload: 2.28 Mb/s
>
> Regards and thanks,

Holly cow! That numbers are not good at all.

- Ensure you are selecting a server that is close to your location
(whether in doubt, let the app to automatically select the best for you).

- Run the test at regular intervals, on different hours.

- Restart the modem-router, sometime they're simply "clogged".

- What kind of connection technology (cable, ftth, vdsl...) is your ISP
providning you? What's the up/down speed you have paid for?

- Is your local network using a gigabit infrastructure? This means
ethernet cabling has to be at least Cat 5e or Cat6, and also the modem-
router as well any other additional device you may have (e.g., ONT for
fiber links).

- Forget wireless devices if you want to get the best numbers for your
high speed connection.

- Look at the modem-router for the real speed it is synced.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Vi, 24 aug 12, 14:47:46, Camaleón wrote:

> > Ping: 69 ms
> > Download: 27.71 Mb/s
> > Upload: 2.28 Mb/s

[...]

> - Forget wireless devices if you want to get the best numbers for your
> high speed connection.

Good point, I get about 24+ Mbit/s (2.7 MB/s) over a 54 Mbit/s (Wireless
G) connection.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 08-24-2012, 06:30 PM
"Weaver"

On Fri, August 24, 2012 7:47 am, Camaleón wrote:

> (...)
>
>>> Can you please provide the results of this speed test?
>>>
>>> http://www.speedtest.net/
>>>
>>> I get:
>>>
>>> Ping: 3 ms
>>> Download: 86.09 Mbps
>>> Upload: 9.96 Mbps
>>
>> I get:
>>
>> Ping: 69 ms
>> Download: 27.71 Mb/s
>> Upload: 2.28 Mb/s
>>
>> Regards and thanks,
>
> Holly cow! That numbers are not good at all.

It has been a few days since their last contact.
In the interim I have watched the speed factor improve.
I'm now getting a download speed of 93.51 Mb/s.

> - Ensure you are selecting a server that is close to your location
> (whether in doubt, let the app to automatically select the best for you).

The server is getting selected by the app and it's in the city I am living
in.

> - Run the test at regular intervals, on different hours.

I've been doing that and feeding the figures back to them.
They have their own server for speed testing and there has been some
disparity in the figures.
That has been fed back to them also.

> - Restart the modem-router, sometime they're simply "clogged".

Yes, I have done that on a number of occasions.
I'm quite satisfied that there is no bottleneck at this end.
Everything is a minimum of 100 Mb capable.

> - What kind of connection technology (cable, ftth, vdsl...) is your ISP
> providning you? What's the up/down speed you have paid for?

Cable and an upper limit of 100 Mb/s.
They advertise 2 Mb/s upload, which is less than half the international
average.
As somebody that would be classified as a typical home-based end user,
that doesn't concern me however.

> - Is your local network using a gigabit infrastructure? This means
> ethernet cabling has to be at least Cat 5e or Cat6, and also the modem-
> router as well any other additional device you may have (e.g., ONT for
> fiber links).

No fibre, although a national roll-out for that service has begun (along
with compromised routers, no doubt).
Gigabit infrastructure is what it is advertised at present.

> - Forget wireless devices if you want to get the best numbers for your
> high speed connection.

Yes, I'm aware of that one.
Still a lover of wires.

> - Look at the modem-router for the real speed it is synced.

They supply the router - a tailored Netgear CG3100.
I can't find any reference to sync.

If they maintain a reasonable download rate, I'll hold off on the media
campaign.
They have been advised.
Regards and thanks,

Weaver.
--
"The truth is, there is no Islamic army or terrorist group
called Al Qaida. And any informed intelligence officer knows

Old 08-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:30:05 -0700, Weaver wrote:

> On Fri, August 24, 2012 7:47 am, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> Ping: 69 ms
>>> Download: 27.71 Mb/s
>>> Upload: 2.28 Mb/s
>>>
>>> Regards and thanks,
>>
>> Holly cow! That numbers are not good at all.
>
> It has been a few days since their last contact. In the interim I have
> watched the speed factor improve. I'm now getting a download speed of
> 93.51 Mb/s.

Ah, that number looks more normal.

>> - Ensure you are selecting a server that is close to your location
>> (whether in doubt, let the app to automatically select the best for
>> you).
>
> The server is getting selected by the app and it's in the city I am
> living in.

Okay.

>> - Run the test at regular intervals, on different hours.
>
> I've been doing that and feeding the figures back to them. They have
> their own server for speed testing and there has been some disparity in
> the figures.
> That has been fed back to them also.

I prefer to use a different speed test other than the one my provider
suggests, just to have something to compare with (and also because I
don't trust them too much...).

>> - Restart the modem-router, sometime they're simply "clogged".
>
> Yes, I have done that on a number of occasions. I'm quite satisfied that
> there is no bottleneck at this end. Everything is a minimum of 100 Mb
> capable.

Fine.

>> - What kind of connection technology (cable, ftth, vdsl...) is your ISP
>> providning you? What's the up/down speed you have paid for?
>
> Cable and an upper limit of 100 Mb/s. They advertise 2 Mb/s upload,
> which is less than half the international average.
> As somebody that would be classified as a typical home-based end user,
> that doesn't concern me however.

Ah, then the "upload" speed rate you got was very good.

One question... cable operators also promote/promise a 100% of the
contracted speed? You know that for ADSL the norm is a guarantee the 10%
of the hired speed (for fiber is usually the 100%) but as I never workes
with cable I can't tell :-?

>> - Is your local network using a gigabit infrastructure? This means
>> ethernet cabling has to be at least Cat 5e or Cat6, and also the modem-
>> router as well any other additional device you may have (e.g., ONT for
>> fiber links).
>
> No fibre, although a national roll-out for that service has begun (along
> with compromised routers, no doubt).
> Gigabit infrastructure is what it is advertised at present.

I mean in your premises, at your home (your computer's network card, your
switch, cabling...) it has to be all Gigabit. For ADSL using ethernet is
fine but when you are reaching higher speeds is better to use Gigabit to
avoid bottlenecks at your side.

>> - Forget wireless devices if you want to get the best numbers for your
>> high speed connection.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of that one.
> Still a lover of wires.

Good :-)

>> - Look at the modem-router for the real speed it is synced.
>
> They supply the router - a tailored Netgear CG3100. I can't find any
> reference to sync.

Mmm, that looks like a router not the modem. This value uses to be
available at the modem but to be sincere, I don't know how the cable
modems can be accessed (should they can), you will have to look at the
manual.

As a side note, remember that a cable connections are shared between many
people, not just you (that's why I prefer fiber or ADSL :-P), so unless
your provider does a good job in load balancing and has good equipment at
their exchange, you can experience these sudden speed drop downs from
time to time.

> If they maintain a reasonable download rate, I'll hold off on the media
> campaign.
> They have been advised.
> Regards and thanks,

Well put! :-)