Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Dr Beco

Default Wheezy and Sun-Java

Dear linuxers,

According to this blog (
http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylvestre/2011/08/26/sun_java6_packages_removed_from_debian_u
)
from Sylvestre, responsible for maintaining sun-java*, Java did not
renew it's license, and so, sun-java6-jre and sun-java-plugin will not
be available on Wheezy.

The author suggests:
apt-get --purge remove sun-java6-jre && apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
in another (more recent) post.

Unfortunately, my internet baking does not recognize openjdk. Only
sun-java seems to work. When calling technical support, the attendant
insist I should upgrade to the last sun-java plugin. There is simply
no alternatives for me.

I managed to install sun-java after adding the old "squeeze"
repository temporarily to my sources.list. It is working now without
any problems.

I would like to call the attention to this problem. Please:

1) If possible, something like the flash plugin should be done. It
simply download the last sun-java from the original website and
installs it. (We don't need sun-java to be at the repository)
2) If using squeeze repository is the only way we can still have
sun-java6 working, don't break this possibility on the release version
of Wheezy.
3) If there is an easy way of creating a ".deb" package from the .tgz
on the original site, that would also be nice. Something like the
google-earth package, I believe.

There are many solutions, so please, just take a kind look into this!

Thanks,
Beco

--
Dr. Beco
A.I. research, Cognitive Scientist and Philosopher

Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Rob Owens

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 08:29:41PM -0300, Dr Beco wrote:
> Dear linuxers,
>
> According to this blog (
> http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylvestre/2011/08/26/sun_java6_packages_removed_from_debian_u
> )
> from Sylvestre, responsible for maintaining sun-java*, Java did not
> renew it's license, and so, sun-java6-jre and sun-java-plugin will not
> be available on Wheezy.
>
> The author suggests:
> apt-get --purge remove sun-java6-jre && apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
> in another (more recent) post.
>
> Unfortunately, my internet baking does not recognize openjdk. Only
> sun-java seems to work. When calling technical support, the attendant
> insist I should upgrade to the last sun-java plugin. There is simply
> no alternatives for me.

Did you install the icedtea plugin? That is the browser plugin that
works with openjdk. Just make sure that doesn't work before you go
through the trouble of installing sun/oracle java from squeeze or from
source.

-Rob

Old 08-15-2012, 12:32 AM
Aidan Gauland

Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> writes:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 08:29:41PM -0300, Dr Beco wrote:
>> Unfortunately, my internet baking does not recognize openjdk. Only
>> sun-java seems to work. When calling technical support, the attendant
>> insist I should upgrade to the last sun-java plugin. There is simply
>> no alternatives for me.
>>
> Did you install the icedtea plugin? That is the browser plugin that
> works with openjdk. Just make sure that doesn't work before you go
> through the trouble of installing sun/oracle java from squeeze or from
> source.

I can vouch for the icedtea plugin. I have to run Java applets for some
of my classes, and this has never given me any trouble. (Also using
wheezy.)

--Aidan

Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 AM
Andrew Reid

> Dear linuxers,
>
> According to this blog (
> http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylvestre/2011/08/26/sun_java6_packages_re
> moved_from_debian_u )
> from Sylvestre, responsible for maintaining sun-java*, Java did not
> renew it's license, and so, sun-java6-jre and sun-java-plugin will not
> be available on Wheezy.
>
> The author suggests:
> apt-get --purge remove sun-java6-jre && apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
> in another (more recent) post.

Several folks have recommended the icedtea plug-in, that's a good one.

What I have done on my (squeeze) systems is, get the Sun Java tgz,
and unpack it into /usr/local/stow/jre1.7.0_05 (or whatever, the
tgz will create the directory), and then push it into /usr/local
with "stow". The browser plug-in will then be in
/usr/local/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so, you can sym-link to it from
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, and it will then be preserved across
versions if you un-stow an old one and re-stow a new one, and
almost all browsers will find it there. (Konqueror won't, but
Konqueror's java set-up is different anyways).

I did this because I had a few things that absolutely insisted
on havnig Sun Java -- it's a bit fiddly to set up (and you may have
to learn about "stow", but this is time well spent...), but it's
reasonably robust.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Old 08-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 20:29:41 -0300, Dr Beco wrote:

> Dear linuxers,
>
> According to this blog (
> http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylvestre/2011/08/26/sun_java6_packages_removed_from_debian_u
> )
> from Sylvestre, responsible for maintaining sun-java*, Java did not
> renew it's license, and so, sun-java6-jre and sun-java-plugin will not
> be available on Wheezy.
>
> The author suggests:
> apt-get --purge remove sun-java6-jre && apt-get install openjdk-7-jre in
> another (more recent) post.

Yup, Oracle's Java is being dropped from many linux distributions (or at
least treated as a second-class JRE, which I think is a good counter-
measure).

> Unfortunately, my internet baking does not recognize openjdk. Only
> sun-java seems to work. When calling technical support, the attendant
> insist I should upgrade to the last sun-java plugin. There is simply no
> alternatives for me.

Yes, sad but true. Many sites and applications are developed for Oracle's
Java and present some errors when using one from a different vendor ;-(

> I managed to install sun-java after adding the old "squeeze" repository
> temporarily to my sources.list. It is working now without any problems.

That's not the way to go. There's nothing bad about installing Oracle's
java packages BUT please, do not get old versions because they present
security issues. Instead, go to Oracle's site and get the updated
releases of Java packages from there by following their instructions.

> I would like to call the attention to this problem. Please:
>
> 1) If possible, something like the flash plugin should be done. It
> simply download the last sun-java from the original website and installs
> it. (We don't need sun-java to be at the repository)

To be sincere, I wouldn't go for it. Oracle is who started this "war" and
changed the rules for the Java distribution so I wouldn't make any move
to facilititate users to install their Java version.

> 2) If using squeeze repository is the only way we can still have sun
>-java6 working, don't break this possibility on the release version of
> Wheezy.

Using Squeeze's Java is a very bad idea and shouldn't be recommended
at all (I already explained why).

> 3) If there is an easy way of creating a ".deb" package from the .tgz on
> the original site, that would also be nice. Something like the
> google-earth package, I believe.

I would ask Oracle about this, it can be legal/licensing reasons that
forbid users from doing it :-/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Lou

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 20:29:41 -0300, Dr Beco wrote:

3) If there is an easy way of creating a ".deb" package from the .tgz
on the original site, that would also be nice. Something like the
google-earth package, I believe.

There are many solutions, so please, just take a kind look into this!

That's been taken care of last February:

http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylvestre/2012/02/29/java_package_replacement_of_sun_java6

You will have to update yourself once a new binary comes out. It works
against java6 and java7

Archive: BLU0-SMTP2550498DB71CEDCF12157CDD8B60@phx.gbl">http://lists.debian.org/BLU0-SMTP2550498DB71CEDCF12157CDD8B60@phx.gbl

Old 08-15-2012, 05:48 PM
"Christofer C. Bell"

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 20:29:41 -0300, Dr Beco wrote:
>
>> Dear linuxers,
>>
>> According to this blog (
>> http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylvestre/2011/08/26/sun_java6_packages_removed_from_debian_u
>> )
>> from Sylvestre, responsible for maintaining sun-java*, Java did not
>> renew it's license, and so, sun-java6-jre and sun-java-plugin will not
>> be available on Wheezy.
>>
>> The author suggests:
>> apt-get --purge remove sun-java6-jre && apt-get install openjdk-7-jre in
>> another (more recent) post.
>
> Yup, Oracle's Java is being dropped from many linux distributions (or at
> least treated as a second-class JRE, which I think is a good counter-
> measure).

Oracle's Java *is* a second class citizen, as intended by Oracle
themselves. Previously, Oracle Java 6 was the standard reference
implementation of the Java specification. With Java 7, OpenJDK is the
standard reference implementation[1]. The irony of this, of course,
is that Oracle's own Java is now the "fork" and OpenJDK is the "real"
Java.

[1] https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/moving_to_openjdk_as_the

So, if your bank doesn't work with OpenJDK 7, then your bank is wrong.
I see you're still trying to use Oracle Java 6 (the old standard),
have you tried OpenJDK Java 7 at all (the new, blessed by Oracle,
standard)?

--
Chris

Old 08-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Dr Beco

Chris and Lou, Thanks for the oracle's blog link and news. OpenJDK
started to sound better after reading that Oracle itself is moving to
it.

Camaleón, Thanks for pointing the security risks of my current option
(using squeeze on wheezy).

Andrew, your answer was very helpful. Thanks. It sounds like a plan!
I'll be doing the procedure you pointed out in the next versions,
until we get something easier to do.

Rod and Aidan, you both commented about icedtea plugin. I'll test it
on my baking next weekend. So as I understand, there is no
open-jdk-plugin? One should use icedtea-plugin with open-jdk, is that
so? Thanks!

Old 08-16-2012, 02:17 AM
Rob Owens

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 08:32:01PM -0300, Dr Beco wrote:

> Rod and Aidan, you both commented about icedtea plugin. I'll test it
> on my baking next weekend. So as I understand, there is no
> open-jdk-plugin? One should use icedtea-plugin with open-jdk, is that
> so? Thanks!

That is correct. On my squeeze system, icedtea6-plugin shows
openjdk-6-jre as a dependency.

-Rob

Old 08-16-2012, 07:45 AM
Brad Rogers

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 20:32:01 -0300
Dr Beco <rcb@beco.cc> wrote:

Hello Dr,

>open-jdk-plugin? One should use icedtea-plugin with open-jdk, is that
>so? Thanks!

As other have said, yes. The naming of the plug-in is asinine, to say
the least. I understand how they arrived at it "hot java" to "iced tea"
isn't such a leap, but it doesn't help users find it.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is