Old 08-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Steven Rosenberg

Default Wheezy and Sun-Java

On 08/14/2012 05:32 PM, Aidan Gauland wrote:

Rob Owens<rowens@ptd.net> writes:

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 08:29:41PM -0300, Dr Beco wrote:

Unfortunately, my internet baking does not recognize openjdk. Only
sun-java seems to work. When calling technical support, the attendant
insist I should upgrade to the last sun-java plugin. There is simply
no alternatives for me.

Did you install the icedtea plugin? That is the browser plugin that
works with openjdk. Just make sure that doesn't work before you go
through the trouble of installing sun/oracle java from squeeze or from
source.

I can vouch for the icedtea plugin. I have to run Java applets for some
of my classes, and this has never given me any trouble. (Also using
wheezy.)

I made the switch from sun-java to icedtea while still in Squeeze and
had a bit of trouble with one of my web apps.

But when I upgraded to Wheezy, the new icedtea seemed to clear
everything up, and now I'm having no problems.

Archive: 502EC8A4.8000104@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/502EC8A4.8000104@gmail.com

Old 08-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Dr Beco

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Lou wrote:
>
> The plugin's included in jre and jdk - if you don't see it in aboutlugins most likely the symlink to libnpjp2.so has gone missing.
> The debian-way of adding this link is to place an entry called mozilla-javaplugin.so to /etc/alternatives :
>
> sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/mozilla-javaplugin.so" "mozilla-javaplugin.so"
> "/usr/lib/jvm/j2sdk1.6-oracle/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so" 3
>
> sudo update-alternatives --config mozilla-javaplugin.so
> choose your weapon there if you got multiple solutions
> after that consider testing java @ http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp - it might complain java 7 is out,
> but you can ignore that until February/2013, just make sure to keep java6 up to date.

Hi there Lou,

Please, how can I update-alternatives for Google Chrome (not Chromium)?

I have this weird situation:
Installed:

(*) java-6-openjdk
(*) java-7-openjdk
(*) sun-java v. 1.7.0.6

# update-alternatives --get-selections | grep plugin
chromium-javaplugin.so auto
/usr/lib/jvm/j2re1.7-oracle/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so
flash-mozilla.so auto
/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
iceweasel-javaplugin.so auto
/usr/lib/jvm/j2re1.7-oracle/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so
mozilla-javaplugin.so manual
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so

When verifying java with Chrome I get:
A newer version of Java is available
Please click the download button to get the recommended Java for your computer.
Your Java version: Version 7 Update 3

But I don't have this version installed!! :-O

When verifying java with IceWeasel:
Congratulations!
You have the recommended Java installed (1.7.0_06).

Also, I'm trying to give Chrome the update-alternatives way, so I
could test if my banking also accept version 7 of openjdk.

It would be great to simple use something like:

#update-alternatives --config chrome-javaplugin.so

Thanks,
Beco.

PS. I installed java using this procedure:

Downloaded
jre-7u6-linux-x64.tar.gz
from java site

Issued:
$ make-jpkg jre-7u6-linux-x64.tar.gz

That creates:
oracle-j2re1.7_1.7.0+update6_amd64.deb

Then installed with dpkg.

--
Dr. Beco
A.I. research, Cognitive Scientist and Philosopher

Old 08-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Dr Beco

Hi Lou,

It looks like I got it. Reporting what I've done:

#update-alternatives --install
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so mozilla-javaplugin.so
/usr/lib/jvm/j2re1.7-oracle/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so 999

Now,

#update-alternatives --config mozilla-javaplugin.so

And choosing j2re1.7-oracle gives the Chrome Java Test a
congratulations, you've got the last java!

So it looks like Chrome just uses /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Choosing java-7-openjdk-amd64, the test says Java 7 update 3.

And gives this message on top of the windows:

Could not load IcedTea-Web Plugin (using IcedTea-Web 1.2 (1.2-2)).

But, it works. And now the test result for my internet banking: It
works just fine with version 7 of openjdk! Yay!

Thanks guys,