Old 08-16-2012, 12:42 PM
John Hasler

Default Wheezy and Sun-Java

Brad Rogers writes:
> The naming of the plug-in is asinine, to say the least. I understand
> how they arrived at it "hot java" to "iced tea" isn't such a leap, but
> it doesn't help users find it.

"JAVA" and "OPENJDK" are registered trademarks which were being
rigorously enforced at the time the project started. "Iced Tea" doesn't
seem like such a bad mnemonic for "Java".
--
John Hasler

Old 08-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Brad Rogers

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 07:42:06 -0500
John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:

Hello John,

>"JAVA" and "OPENJDK" are registered trademarks which were being
>rigorously enforced at the time the project started. "Iced Tea" doesn't

I wasn't aware of that. It explains a great deal.

>seem like such a bad mnemonic for "Java".

True, but from the new-comers POV, not necessarily an easy jump. When I
had to drop Sun Java in favour of openjdk, I got lucky finding the
plug-in.

I don't remember what my search foo was, but it was obviously right on
the money that day. ;-)

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 08-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Alex Mestiashvili

On 08/15/2012 01:29 AM, Dr Beco wrote:
> Dear linuxers,
>
> According to this blog (
> http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylvestre/2011/08/26/sun_java6_packages_removed_from_debian_u
> )
> from Sylvestre, responsible for maintaining sun-java*, Java did not
> renew it's license, and so, sun-java6-jre and sun-java-plugin will not
> be available on Wheezy.
>
> The author suggests:
> apt-get --purge remove sun-java6-jre && apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
> in another (more recent) post.
>
> Unfortunately, my internet baking does not recognize openjdk. Only
> sun-java seems to work. When calling technical support, the attendant
> insist I should upgrade to the last sun-java plugin. There is simply
> no alternatives for me.
>
> I managed to install sun-java after adding the old "squeeze"
> repository temporarily to my sources.list. It is working now without
> any problems.
>

> I would like to call the attention to this problem. Please:
>
> 1) If possible, something like the flash plugin should be done. It
> simply download the last sun-java from the original website and
> installs it. (We don't need sun-java to be at the repository)
> 2) If using squeeze repository is the only way we can still have
> sun-java6 working, don't break this possibility on the release version
> of Wheezy.
> 3) If there is an easy way of creating a ".deb" package from the .tgz
> on the original site, that would also be nice. Something like the
> google-earth package, I believe.
>
> There are many solutions, so please, just take a kind look into this!
>

> Thanks,
> Beco

Hi Beco,

openjdk seem to be the way to go, but in case it doesn't fit you needs
you can package oracle's java by your own:
https://github.com/rraptorr/sun-java6
https://github.com/rraptorr/oracle-java7

Best regards,
Alex

Old 08-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:48:51 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Yup, Oracle's Java is being dropped from many linux distributions (or
>> at least treated as a second-class JRE, which I think is a good
>> counter- measure).
>
> Oracle's Java *is* a second class citizen, as intended by Oracle
> themselves.

On the paper, maybe. In real life, hard to believe ;-)

> Previously, Oracle Java 6 was the standard reference implementation of
> the Java specification. With Java 7, OpenJDK is the standard reference
> implementation[1]. The irony of this, of course, is that Oracle's own
> Java is now the "fork" and OpenJDK is the "real" Java.
>
> [1] https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/moving_to_openjdk_as_the

That's what Sun (and now Oracle) have been saying since long time ago
("hey, we're open, we're cool, we share... stay with us") but look, even
the OpenJDK site points to Oracle's implementation of Java from where to
get the sources and experience tells users something different.

> So, if your bank doesn't work with OpenJDK 7, then your bank is wrong.
> I see you're still trying to use Oracle Java 6 (the old standard),
> have you tried OpenJDK Java 7 at all (the new, blessed by Oracle,
> standard)?

Nah, that never works. You cant't modify the way a bank (or any other non-
public institution) works and develops its applications. This is kinda
chicken-egg problem which usually ends up in either these two ways:

1/ You quit from your bank/company and put your money elsewhere (not
always a viable option).

2/ You install the tool they require (this usually costs less and has
minor drawbacks).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 20:32:01 -0300, Dr Beco wrote:

(...)

> Camaleón, Thanks for pointing the security risks of my current option
> (using squeeze on wheezy).

Just to clarify this a bit: the danger is using an outdated Oracle's Java
version, regardless the place you get it (Oracle's own site or Debian
official repository).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-16-2012, 06:59 PM
"Christofer C. Bell"

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:48:51 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So, if your bank doesn't work with OpenJDK 7, then your bank is wrong.
>> I see you're still trying to use Oracle Java 6 (the old standard),
>> have you tried OpenJDK Java 7 at all (the new, blessed by Oracle,
>> standard)?
>
> Nah, that never works. You cant't modify the way a bank (or any other non-
> public institution) works and develops its applications. This is kinda
> chicken-egg problem which usually ends up in either these two ways:
>
> 1/ You quit from your bank/company and put your money elsewhere (not
> always a viable option).
>
> 2/ You install the tool they require (this usually costs less and has
> minor drawbacks).

Right, however, I wasn't suggesting attempting to change the way the
bank works. I'm saying that Oracle's JRE 6 worked with the bank while
OpenJDK's JRE 6 did not. Perhaps as Oracle developed version 7, the
necessary support for the OP's bank may have been incorporated into
OpenJDK's JRE 7 and that perhaps he should try it to see if it works.

Meaning:

1/ Stay with your current bank.

2/ Try OpenJDK 7 because you may be surprised and it may work as well
as Oracle JRE 6.

--
Chris

Old 08-17-2012, 03:14 AM
Dr Beco

Dear Alex and Lou,

You guys hit the money as broom yields honey!

(Email to point another *good* SOLUTION to this problem)

Download ".deb" package for sun-java here:
https://github.com/rraptorr/oracle-java7
or here (old):
https://github.com/rraptorr/sun-java6

Or make your own package as explained here:
http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylvestre/2012/02/29/java_package_replacement_of_sun_java6

Just download the *.bin and use (for example):
$make-jpkg ~/Downloads/jdk-6u31-linux-x64.bin

I wonder, this solutions give us not only JDK or JRE, but also the
plugin, don't they?

Thanks,
Beco

--
Dr. Beco
A.I. research, Cognitive Scientist and Philosopher

Old 08-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Lou