Old 04-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Alexander GQ Gerasiov

Default 2.6.24.4+debian+openvz doesn't work with nvidia-glx

Hi, folks.

I'm trying to switch my vserver installation to openvz, but meet some
problems:

I get openz's git, prepare a patch from it, then get debian kernel
(2.6.24.4 + debian patches) and compile all this together.

It looks like it works (I didn't test it well, but at least kernel has
some api vzcrtl uses.), but nvidia closed source drivers don't.

It's kernel part compiles well, module loads, but Xserver can't get
connection to kernel part, and says something like "could not
initialize device". Nvidia driver version 169.12-1 from Debian Sid.

Can anybody comment this? Is there any success stories with
openvz+nvidia-glx?

--
Best regards,
Alexander GQ Gerasiov

Contacts:
e-mail: gq@cs.msu.su Jabber: gq@jabber.ru
Homepage: http://gq.net.ru ICQ: 7272757

Old 04-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Alexander GQ Gerasiov wrote:

Hi, folks.

I'm trying to switch my vserver installation to openvz, but meet some
problems:

I get openz's git, prepare a patch from it, then get debian kernel
(2.6.24.4 + debian patches) and compile all this together.

It looks like it works (I didn't test it well, but at least kernel has
some api vzcrtl uses.), but nvidia closed source drivers don't.

It's kernel part compiles well, module loads, but Xserver can't get
connection to kernel part, and says something like "could not
initialize device". Nvidia driver version 169.12-1 from Debian Sid.

Can anybody comment this? Is there any success stories with
openvz+nvidia-glx?

After you recompile 2.6.24.4 (why not .5?) how do you install the nvidia
driver?

Hugo

Old 04-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Alexander GQ Gerasiov

>After you recompile 2.6.24.4 (why not .5?)
Ah, you right, that was 2.6.24.5 (I play with linux-2.6 source package.)

>how do you install the nvidia driver?
Don't worry, I know this part,
aptitude install linux-headers-2.6.24-1-openvz-686
m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source

--
Best regards,
Alexander GQ Gerasiov

Contacts:
e-mail: gq@cs.msu.su Jabber: gq@jabber.ru
Homepage: http://gq.net.ru ICQ: 7272757
PGP fingerprint: 0628 ACC7 291A D4AA 6D7D 79B8 0641 D82A E3E3 CE1D

Old 04-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Alexander GQ Gerasiov

Oh, problem was in vmalloc. default limit is 128M, but openvz+nvidia
wants ~130 %)
passing vmalloc=256m to kernel boot command line solve the problem.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Chris Bannister

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 01:50:31PM +0400, Alexander GQ Gerasiov wrote:
> It's kernel part compiles well, module loads, but Xserver can't get
> connection to kernel part, and says something like "could not
> initialize device". Nvidia driver version 169.12-1 from Debian Sid.

Is the card supported by that version of nvidia-glx?

--
Chris.
======