Old 08-13-2012, 06:59 AM
Berni Elbourn

Default strange behavior after reboot, iceweasel locking everything up

[78506.185358] sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error -

auto reallocate failed

Sorry but you have already lost data. Avoid using the disk as it is no longer able to function reliably. Replace it
asap. ddrescue is a good tool in these situations. But probably best to re-install from scratch and restore your data
from a backup - but from a backup prior to when the disk errors started. Sadly, backups since may have some good data
but those backups will contain corrupt files.

Best wishes,

Berni

--
"Confidence is what you have before you understand a problem" - Woody Allen

Archive: 5028A5C3.4080407@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/5028A5C3.4080407@gmail.com

Old 08-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 21:43:33 -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 08:10:07PM -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:

(...)

> Nope.
> Still hanging....iceweasel hangs a long time just trying to grab pages,
> and I can't even go to another tab or something. The whole browser just
> locks up, for as much as a minute or two, when trying to load a page.
> It's become almost useless.
> I mean, what's the point in tabbed browsing if you can't read one tab
> while waiting for another to load?

Okay, Tony, before going any further into this, are you sure that your
hard disk and partitions are all fine? Were all the scary messages
finally went away? How about the SMART test?

If this is all good, then we can go on... if no, your priority should be
the hard disk at first place.

Now, in regards to your Iceweasel problems, some basic questions:

- Have you tried with an empty/fresh Icewasel profile?
- Have you tried with upstream Firefox?
- What does "top" say when system runs slowly?

The (sluggish) behaviour you're getting is not normal, even more with a
powerful computer like yours where Iceweasel has to run super-smoothly
and flawlessly.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Tony Baldwin

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 02:33:39PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 21:43:33 -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 08:10:07PM -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> > Nope.
> > Still hanging....iceweasel hangs a long time just trying to grab pages,
> > and I can't even go to another tab or something. The whole browser just
> > locks up, for as much as a minute or two, when trying to load a page.
> > It's become almost useless.
> > I mean, what's the point in tabbed browsing if you can't read one tab
> > while waiting for another to load?
>
> Okay, Tony, before going any further into this, are you sure that your
> hard disk and partitions are all fine? Were all the scary messages
> finally went away? How about the SMART test?

There are no NEW such messages in dmesg.
I ran fsck like 3 times, and the last time if finally ended with
File system has been modified...
and booted up fine without any more messages about a corrupt file
system.
Everything, except iceweasel, seems to be working normally.
In the meantime, I am using SRWare's Iron browser, but would prefer
to return to iceweasel.

> If this is all good, then we can go on... if no, your priority should be
> the hard disk at first place.
>
> Now, in regards to your Iceweasel problems, some basic questions:
>
> - Have you tried with an empty/fresh Icewasel profile?

Nope. Not sure how that's done, but, anyway, the reason I want
iceweasel back is to have all my bookmarks and settings and saved
passwords, etc.

> - Have you tried with upstream Firefox?

No. Just Iceweasel 14 from backports.
I try to use only debian packages.
(Ok, I'm using iron, which is not a debian pkg, but our chromium is
very old and out of date. Midori, arora, kazehake, and every other
browser we have in repos suck. Iceape is working, and I may use that,
but still, prefer my iceweasel).

> - What does "top" say when system runs slowly?

That's the weird part.
I run htop. It will say, with iceweasel running, that I'm still only
using like 1 or 2% cpu and 2 to 4 % ram.

> The (sluggish) behaviour you're getting is not normal, even more with a
> powerful computer like yours where Iceweasel has to run super-smoothly
> and flawlessly.

It was, in fact, until this recent matter.
A friend tells me he also is having similar issues, with iceweasel 14,
and they only started after a reboot.
Iceweasel was last updated sometime last week, I believe, when I ran
updates. I had not rebooted (generally don't) until Saturday, and then
this started, after the reboot.

I have reinstalled iceweasel a couple of time, but nothing changes.

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time!

Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Bob Proulx

Tony Baldwin wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:
> > Okay, Tony, before going any further into this, are you sure that your
> > hard disk and partitions are all fine? Were all the scary messages
> > finally went away? How about the SMART test?
>
> There are no NEW such messages in dmesg.

I was really worried there too. Those looked like a hardware related
issue, not a software related issue. Probably just a cable but still.

With the error from the syslog I would want to verify by unplugging
and plugging back in the SATA cables. The older ones did not have any
locks and would sometimes become dislodged. And even the newer ones
might have a spot of corrosion on the connector that would be fixed by
the remove and replace of the connector. These problems can show up
after getting a "thump" from something like kicking out the power
cord. Even just simple continuous vibration from the fans can cause
things to walk around a little.

> I ran fsck like 3 times, and the last time if finally ended with
> File system has been modified...

If there is a hardware issue be cautious about running fsck too
early. The disk might be perfectly fine but getting a corrupted
signal from a bad cable and the fsck modifications might actually be
unneeded.

> Nope. Not sure how that's done, but, anyway, the reason I want
> iceweasel back is to have all my bookmarks and settings and saved
> passwords, etc.

Firefox has had such a history of problems that they wrote automatic
backup of bookmarks into the browser! Well if they have a problem
then they might as well add code to work around it.

Go to Bookmarks, Show All Bookmarks, to pop up a bookmark managment
dialog. Then review the Import and Backup tab, Restore, and it should
list a set of days of backups from which you can restore bookmarks.
(These are actually json files in the .mozilla/firefox directory in
your $HOME.)

The rest of your history is stored in sqlite files. I have fished
through them at various times.

The point of all of this is that I have seen Firefox get very confused
due to problems with the state of the .mozilla files. Never with my
own desktop but routinely at a site with a substandard NFS mounted
home directory environment. In order to recover there I often
shutdown firefox, move their entire .mozilla directory out of the way,
and then copy the bookmarks directory back, then start firefox back up
again and restore the bookmarks. That has always worked and gets
people running again with all of their bookmarks. Most of them don't
care about their form history. I would imagine that it would be
possible to carefully restore the sqlite files too. Just an idea for
you. YMMV and all of that.

> (Ok, I'm using iron, which is not a debian pkg, but our chromium is
> very old and out of date. Midori, arora, kazehake, and every other
> browser we have in repos suck. Iceape is working, and I may use that,
> but still, prefer my iceweasel).

I am a big advocate of http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze backport for
stable. 14.0.1-1~bpo60+1 is current there as of today and that is the
same as the mozilla.org upstream.

> That's the weird part.
> I run htop. It will say, with iceweasel running, that I'm still only
> using like 1 or 2% cpu and 2 to 4 % ram.

Recently there was a kernel semaphore lockfile interaction that could
be seen in firefox and other programs. You might want to check that
you have the kernel upgrades appropriate for your release. If they
are mismatched it is possible that might cause you a similar problem.
Don't know but seems like a good thing to verify.

> It was, in fact, until this recent matter.
> A friend tells me he also is having similar issues, with iceweasel 14,
> and they only started after a reboot.
> Iceweasel was last updated sometime last week, I believe, when I ran
> updates. I had not rebooted (generally don't) until Saturday, and then
> this started, after the reboot.

See that sounds similar to the recent kernel semaphore issue. But
perhaps in reverse. Don't know. But this is the one I am talking
about.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/7/1/11

Not saying that is your problem. Just something I would verify that
you have the appropriate kernel and userland. This is all old news
now that a month has passed and I am not seeing this problem anywhere
with the stock packages. But working fine and then not after a reboot
sounds like a potentially similar issue.

Bob

Old 08-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 17:07:53 -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 02:33:39PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Okay, Tony, before going any further into this, are you sure that your
>> hard disk and partitions are all fine? Were all the scary messages
>> finally went away? How about the SMART test?
>
> There are no NEW such messages in dmesg. I ran fsck like 3 times, and
> the last time if finally ended with File system has been modified...
> and booted up fine without any more messages about a corrupt file
> system.

That seems reassuring but I would also run the hard disk health tests
from the hard disk manufacturer's utilities. And I'd do it just because
it costs you nothing and to be sure because I don't like to play with
this kind of errors as they can be really fatal ;-(

> Everything, except iceweasel, seems to be working normally. In the
> meantime, I am using SRWare's Iron browser, but would prefer to return
> to iceweasel.

Okay, let's continue then with Iceweasel oddities.

>> - Have you tried with an empty/fresh Icewasel profile?
>
> Nope. Not sure how that's done, but, anyway, the reason I want
> iceweasel back is to have all my bookmarks and settings and saved
> passwords, etc.

This is the first thing to try because usually these problems are coming
from your usual profile. Once you diagnose the problem then you can take
whatever steps on how to proceed but at least you know what's happening.

To test a new profile you can (among other options):

a) Rename the current folder (e.g., from "~/.mozilla" to
"~/.mozilla_orig") and as soon as you launch Iceweasel again a new empty
folder will be created.

b) Or simply create a new user in your system, login with it and launch
Icewasel.

And check for the results.

>> - Have you tried with upstream Firefox?
>
> No. Just Iceweasel 14 from backports. I try to use only debian packages.
> (Ok, I'm using iron, which is not a debian pkg, but our chromium is very
> old and out of date. Midori, arora, kazehake, and every other browser
> we have in repos suck. Iceape is working, and I may use that, but
> still, prefer my iceweasel).

This would be another good test but well, that decission is, of course,
up to you. Just to mention that Firefox (the upstream package) works
smoothly in my old Lenny system and is very easy to maintain/update.

>> - What does "top" say when system runs slowly?
>
> That's the weird part.
> I run htop. It will say, with iceweasel running, that I'm still only
> using like 1 or 2% cpu and 2 to 4 % ram.

You mean the Iceweasel GUI is lagging but you see nothing strange in its
process? No big amount of ram or cpu used by the browser nor any other
application? :-?

>> The (sluggish) behaviour you're getting is not normal, even more with a
>> powerful computer like yours where Iceweasel has to run super-smoothly
>> and flawlessly.
>
> It was, in fact, until this recent matter. A friend tells me he also is
> having similar issues, with iceweasel 14, and they only started after a
> reboot. Iceweasel was last updated sometime last week, I believe, when I
> ran updates. I had not rebooted (generally don't) until Saturday, and
> then this started, after the reboot.

That points to a profile issue, indeed.

In my case, to avoid that, I continously open/close the browser, remove
all cookies, history and temporal data and keep no passwords saved. Yes,
I'm not usual user-case, I know but this allows me to have a clean and
bright Firefox experience :-)

> I have reinstalled iceweasel a couple of time, but nothing changes.

Reinstalling makes no changes in your current profile, is kept "as is".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón