Old 08-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Chris Bannister

Default Cross-posting (was: package wxmacmolplt broken)

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 05:40:14PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Some days ago I cross-posted, apologized and warned! It's anyway not the
> best idea to do so.
>
> Excepted of some announcements cross-posting isn't a good idea,
> sometimes it's just less work for the person who does the post, but it
> e.g. very often leads to dead threads etc..

Cross posting is way better than multi-posting though.
The reasons should be obvious, and if you have ever tried to have a
conversation between two or more people in different rooms you will have
an understanding of what I mean. Bring them all into the one room, and
problem solved.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 08-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Chris Bannister

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 03:27:25PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 01:45:29 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > Besides, it is obvious in the headers whether the message is cross
> > posted, the warning is hence redundant, extra typing, and therefore
> > unnecessary.
>
> Not that obvious!
>
> Not all of us use the same kind of readers nor have the same
> configuration settings nor have that information expanded in front of our
> eyes.

All I can suggest is that you get a better MUA. I mean what MUA doesn't
show you (at least) the CC header?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 08-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 04:31:40 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 03:27:25PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 01:45:29 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
>> > Besides, it is obvious in the headers whether the message is cross
>> > posted, the warning is hence redundant, extra typing, and therefore
>> > unnecessary.
>>
>> Not that obvious!
>>
>> Not all of us use the same kind of readers nor have the same
>> configuration settings nor have that information expanded in front of
>> our eyes.
>
> All I can suggest is that you get a better MUA. I mean what MUA doesn't
> show you (at least) the CC header?

You can suggest it and I would reject it because that's not the point :-)

The point here is that when you are cross-posting *it costs nothing* to
warn about it to the rest of the audience.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Lu, 13 aug 12, 04:31:40, Chris Bannister wrote:

> All I can suggest is that you get a better MUA. I mean what MUA doesn't
> show you (at least) the CC header?

When I'm reading -user (or any other mailing list for the matter) I
generally pay no attention at all to the headers.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 08-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Lisi

On Sunday 12 August 2012 17:28:06 Chris Bannister wrote:
> Bring them all into the one room, and
> problem solved.

Not necessarily. I have had experience of one person who routinely
cross-posted, with the effect that all his threads were badly distorted:
fragmented and nearly impossible to follow. (And I belong to both mailing
lists. His threads must have been almost gibberish to anyone who was only
subscribed to one of them) In the end an administrator pointed out the
problems he was causing and asked him to stop.

Lisi