-   -   how to ::: installing debian in laptop (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/69322-how-installing-debian-laptop.html)

"SENTHIL KUMAR" 04-14-2008 07:29 AM

how to ::: installing debian in laptop

Hi all,

I have a DELL XPS M 1330 lap top. 32 bit . i have installed ubuntu,
but not happy with it. i'm a newbie for linux. . i found that there is
some drivers missing when tried to install debian in te dell
laptop(network driver). is it some thing wrong in my installation step
or problem with debian ecth....guide me throu pls.

"s. keeling" 04-14-2008 01:26 PM

SENTHIL KUMAR <nucleic81@gmail.com>:

> I have a DELL XPS M 1330 lap top. 32 bit . i have installed ubuntu,
> but not happy with it. i'm a newbie for linux. . i found that there is
> some drivers missing when tried to install debian in te dell
> laptop(network driver). is it some thing wrong in my installation step
> or problem with debian ecth....guide me throu pls.

That sounds like you're missing ndiswrapper (sp?).

What wireless subsystem do you have? "lspci -v | less"

"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso" 04-14-2008 01:46 PM

On 14/04/2008, s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:
> SENTHIL KUMAR <nucleic81@gmail.com>:
>

> > I have a DELL XPS M 1330 lap top. 32 bit . i have installed ubuntu,
> > but not happy with it. i'm a newbie for linux. . i found that there is
> > some drivers missing when tried to install debian in te dell
> > laptop(network driver). is it some thing wrong in my installation step
> > or problem with debian ecth....guide me throu pls.
>

> That sounds like you're missing ndiswrapper (sp?).

No, the laptop Senthil mentioned has an intel 4965 driver. It doesn't
need ndiswrapper. It uses the iwlwifi driver that's already part of
vanilla kernels after 2.6.22, and a firmware blob that can be found in
non-free (firmware-iwlwifi), but they're not in etch.

My own recommendation would be to install the stabler-than-it-sounds
testing distribution, or to wait what, six months? until lenny
releases.

However, I will acknowledge that it's probably a bad idea to recommend
the testing distribution to a newbie.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.