Old 08-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Off topic Gimp-2.8_Save and save as bad behavior

On Sat, 2012-08-11 at 20:21 +0200, maderios wrote:
> Hi
> I posted this message on the Gimp user list
> gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list/2012-August/date.html
>
> Hi
> This message is addressed to developers.
> New Gimp-2.8 would be a good tool but it is unusable for me. Example: I
> use, hundreds of times per hour, the functions "save" and "save as",
> indifferently on .png. xcf or .jpeg. To this end, I set two keyboard
> shortcuts with one finger: save=s and save as=u. So I can save lot of
> time. With version 2.8 , it's impossible . I'm professional. My job is
> to work on images and I can't lost my time. Sorry...
> So back to Gimp-2.6. I compiled it on Debian Testing/Wheezy (after
> downgrading gegl and babl) and it works well.
> This is very annoying. It would be nice to recover ergonomics and
> traditional functions "save" and "save as" in Gimp-2.8.
> At least give the user the choice....
> Thanks for your work.
> Best regards
> Maderios

The strange thing IMO is, that save and save as are completely the same
and we need to use export nowadays.

For professional artists (music and drawing) Linux breaks the workflow
much to often. If possible I don't upgrade a system that once fit to my
needs, unfortunately there are sometimes reasons to upgrade.

Regards,
Ralf

Old 08-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Gary Dale

[...]

I agree that the use export instead of save / save as is a little
bizarre. However, it doesn't really destroy the workflow - just the
muscle memory.

I'd like to see export do something different - such as save a part of
file or save into a non-graphic format. However, The Gimp isn't the only
application that has trouble figuring out what belongs in save / save as
and what belongs in export. Just get used to it. If you use The Gimp
that much, it shouldn't take long.