-   -   continuous reboots in a two nodes cluster with heartbeat and pacemaker. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/692958-continuous-reboots-two-nodes-cluster-heartbeat-pacemaker.html)

Mauro 08-11-2012 01:59 PM

continuous reboots in a two nodes cluster with heartbeat and pacemaker.

Hello, I'm experiencing continuous reboots of my two nodes in a
heartbeat+pacemaker cluster.
Reboots are random, one day they happen one other day not, sometime
for 7 days they don't happen, sometimes they happen at night.
They happen at random days and random time.
Nodes are connected to a Cisco 3570 switch and a SAN storage system.
Perhaps there is a misconfiguration in the interfaces?
Here is my interfaces file:

#
# XEN VLAN CONFIGURATION
#

# BACKEND MANAGEMENT VIRTUAL INFRASTRUCTURE - VLAN ID 118 - PH. IFACE eth0

auto eth0.118
iface eth0.118 inet static
address 192.168.244.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.244.255
gateway 192.168.244.1
vlan_raw_device eth0

# DMZ INTERNET VISIT-CAGLIARI - VLAN ID 109 - PH. IFACE eth1

auto eth1.109

auto xenbr.109
iface xenbr.109 inet manual
bridge_ports eth1.109
bridge_maxwait 0

# DMZ INTERNET - VLAN ID 111 - PH. IFACE eth1

auto eth1.111

auto xenbr.111
iface xenbr.111 inet manual
bridge_ports eth1.111
bridge_maxwait 0

# DMZ INTRANET - VLAN ID 112 - PH. IFACE eth1

auto eth1.112

auto xenbr.112
iface xenbr.112 inet manual
bridge_ports eth1.112
bridge_maxwait 0

# BACKEND APPLICATION INTERNET - VLAN ID 113 - PH. IFACE eth2

auto eth2.113

auto xenbr.113
iface xenbr.113 inet manual
bridge_ports eth2.113
bridge_maxwait 0

# BACKEND APPLICATION INTRANET - VLAN ID 114 - PH. IFACE eth2

auto eth2.114

auto xenbr.114
iface xenbr.114 inet manual
bridge_ports eth2.114
bridge_maxwait 0

# BACKEND DATABASE INTERNET - VLAN ID 115 - PH. IFACE eth2

uto eth2.115

auto xenbr.115
iface xenbr.115 inet manual
bridge_ports eth2.115
bridge_maxwait 0

# BACKEND DATABASE INTRANET - VLAN ID 116 - PH. IFACE eth2

auto eth2.116

auto xenbr.116
iface xenbr.116 inet manual
bridge_ports eth2.116
bridge_maxwait 0

# BACKEND AUTHENTICATION/AUTHORIZATION - VLAN ID 117 - PH. IFACE eth2

auto eth2.117

auto xenbr.117
iface xenbr.117 inet manual
bridge_ports eth2.117
bridge_maxwait 0

# BACKEND BACKUP - VLAN ID 119 - PH. IFACE eth3

auto eth3.119

auto xenbr.119
iface xenbr.119 inet manual
bridge_ports eth3.119
bridge_maxwait 0
bridge_fd 0

# LOCAL XEN POOL NETWORKS
#

# LIVE MIGRATION - VLAN ID 2001 - PH. IFACE eth0

auto eth0.2001
auto eth3.2001

iface eth0.2001 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth0

iface eth3.2001 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth3

auto bond.2001

iface bond.2001 inet static
address 10.1.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
bond-mode active-backup
slaves eth0.2001 eth3.2001
bond-miimon 100

# CLUSTER DOM0 - VLAN ID 2002 - PH. IFACE eth0/3

auto eth0.2002
iface eth0.2002 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth0

auto eth3.2002
iface eth3.2002 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth3

auto bond.2002
iface bond.2002 inet static
address 10.2.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
bond-mode active-backup
slaves eth0.2002 eth3.2002
bond-miimon 100

# CLUSTER WEB-INTERNET - VLAN ID 2003 - PH. IFACE eth0/3

auto eth0.2003

auto eth3.2003

iface eth0.2003 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth0

iface eth3.2003 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth3

auto bond.2003
iface bond.2003 inet manual
bond-mode active-backup
slaves eth0.2003 eth3.2003
bond-miimon 100

auto xenbr.2003
iface xenbr.2003 inet manual
bridge_ports bond.2003
bridge_maxwait 0
bridge_fd 0

# CLUSTER WEB-INTRANET - VLAN ID 2004 - PH. IFACE eth0/3

auto eth0.2004

auto eth3.2004

iface eth0.2004 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth0

iface eth3.2004 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth3

auto bond.2004
iface bond.2004 inet manual
bond-mode active-backup
slaves eth0.2004 eth3.2004
bond-miimon 100

auto xenbr.2004
iface xenbr.2004 inet manual
bridge_ports bond.2004
bridge_maxwait 0
bridge_fd 0

# CLUSTER STREAMING - VLAN ID 2005 - PH. IFACE eth0/3

auto eth0.2005

auto eth3.2005

iface eth0.2005 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth0

iface eth3.2005 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth3

auto bond.2005
iface bond.2005 inet manual
bond-mode active-backup
slaves eth0.2005 eth3.2005
bond-miimon 100

auto xenbr.2005
iface xenbr.2005 inet manual
bridge_ports bond.2005
bridge_maxwait 0
bridge_fd 0

# CLUSTER MAIL - VLAN ID 2006 - PH. IFACE eth0/3

auto eth0.2006

auto eth3.2006

iface eth0.2006 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth0

iface eth3.2006 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth3

auto bond.2006
iface bond.2006 inet manual
bond-mode active-backup
slaves eth0.2006 eth3.2006
bond-miimon 100

auto xenbr.2006
iface xenbr.2006 inet manual
bridge_ports bond.2006
bridge_maxwait 0
bridge_fd 0

# CLUSTER CONTENT FILTER - VLAN ID 2007 - PH. IFACE eth0/3

auto eth0.2007

auto eth3.2007

iface eth0.2007 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth0

iface eth3.2007 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth3

auto bond.2007
iface bond.2007 inet manual
bond-mode active-backup
slaves eth0.2007 eth3.2007
bond-miimon 100

auto xenbr.2007
iface xenbr.2007 inet manual
bridge_ports bond.2007
bridge_maxwait 0
bridge_fd 0

# CLUSTER PAGHE - VLAND ID 2008 - PH. IFACE eth0/3

auto eth0.2008

auto eth3.2008

iface eth0.2008 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth0

iface eth3.2008 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth3

uto bond.2008
iface bond.2008 inet manual
bond-mode active-backup
slaves eth0.2008 eth3.2008
bond-miimon 100

auto xenbr.2008
iface xenbr.2008 inet manual
bridge_ports bond.2008
bridge_maxwait 0
bridge_fd 0

# CLUSTER DB PAGHE - VLAN ID 2009 - PH. IFACE eth0/3

auto eth0.2009

auto eth3.2009

iface eth0.2009 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth0

iface eth3.2009 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth3

auto bond.2009
iface bond.2009 inet manual
bond-mode active-backup
slaves eth0.2009 eth3.2009
bond-miimon 100

auto xenbr.2009
iface xenbr.2009 inet manual
bridge_ports bond.2009
bridge_maxwait 0
bridge_fd 0

# CLUSTER PROXY-LDAP - VLAN ID 2010 - PH. IFACE eth0/3

auto eth0.2010

auto eth3.2010

iface eth0.2010 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth0

iface eth3.2010 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth3

auto bond.2010
iface bond.2010 inet manual
bond-mode active-backup
slaves eth0.2010 eth3.2010
bond-miimon 100

auto xenbr.2010
iface xenbr.2010 inet manual
bridge_ports bond.2010
bridge_maxwait 0
bridge_fd 0

# CLUSTER LDAP - VLAN ID 2011 - PH. IFACE eth0/3

auto eth0.2011

auto eth3.2011

iface eth0.2011 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth0

iface eth3.2011 inet manual
vlan_raw_device eth3

auto bond.2011
iface bond.2011 inet manual
bond-mode active-backup
slaves eth0.2011 eth3.2011
bond-miimon 100

auto xenbr.2011
iface xenbr.2011 inet manual
bridge_ports bond.2011
bridge_maxwait 0
bridge_fd 0

ha.cf is:

autojoin none
ucast bond.2001 10.1.0.2
warntime 15
deadtime 60
initdead 120
keepalive 5
node xen-p01
node xen-p02
crm respawn

Do you think there are some errors?
Thank you.

Stan Hoeppner 08-11-2012 05:23 PM

On 8/11/2012 8:59 AM, Mauro wrote:
> Hello, I'm experiencing continuous reboots of my two nodes in a
> heartbeat+pacemaker cluster.
> Reboots are random, one day they happen one other day not, sometime
> for 7 days they don't happen, sometimes they happen at night.
> They happen at random days and random time.
> Nodes are connected to a Cisco 3570 switch and a SAN storage system.
> Perhaps there is a misconfiguration in the interfaces?
> Here is my interfaces file:

> Do you think there are some errors?

To determine that you need to look at your logs files, not your config
files. If the nodes are rebooting due to fencing it will be logged
somewhere, as should the underlying network errors that cause the fence
to close.

--
Stan

Mauro 08-12-2012 09:44 AM

On 11 August 2012 19:23, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> On 8/11/2012 8:59 AM, Mauro wrote:
>> Hello, I'm experiencing continuous reboots of my two nodes in a
>> heartbeat+pacemaker cluster.
>> Reboots are random, one day they happen one other day not, sometime
>> for 7 days they don't happen, sometimes they happen at night.
>> They happen at random days and random time.
>> Nodes are connected to a Cisco 3570 switch and a SAN storage system.
>> Perhaps there is a misconfiguration in the interfaces?
>> Here is my interfaces file:
>

>> Do you think there are some errors?
>
> To determine that you need to look at your logs files, not your config
> files. If the nodes are rebooting due to fencing it will be logged
> somewhere, as should the underlying network errors that cause the fence
> to close.

Yes, I look at my logs but the only thing I see is that node 1 fence
node 2 or node 2 fence node 1 because one node doesn't see other node,
but I don't understard what is the problem, if it is a problem of my
NIC or other.

Stan Hoeppner 08-12-2012 06:39 PM

On 8/12/2012 4:44 AM, Mauro wrote:
> On 11 August 2012 19:23, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
>> On 8/11/2012 8:59 AM, Mauro wrote:
>>> Hello, I'm experiencing continuous reboots of my two nodes in a
>>> heartbeat+pacemaker cluster.
>>> Reboots are random, one day they happen one other day not, sometime
>>> for 7 days they don't happen, sometimes they happen at night.
>>> They happen at random days and random time.
>>> Nodes are connected to a Cisco 3570 switch and a SAN storage system.
>>> Perhaps there is a misconfiguration in the interfaces?
>>> Here is my interfaces file:
>>

>>> Do you think there are some errors?
>>
>> To determine that you need to look at your logs files, not your config
>> files. If the nodes are rebooting due to fencing it will be logged
>> somewhere, as should the underlying network errors that cause the fence
>> to close.
>
> Yes, I look at my logs but the only thing I see is that node 1 fence
> node 2 or node 2 fence node 1 because one node doesn't see other node,
> but I don't understard what is the problem, if it is a problem of my
> NIC or other.

Is there more than one set of these in any dmes files on either host:

Jul 26 00:38:26 [host] kernel: e100 0000:00:0d.0: eth0: NIC Link is Down
Jul 26 00:38:28 [host] kernel: e100 0000:00:0d.0: eth0: NIC Link is Up
100 Mbps Full Duplex

If so it may indicate a flaky NIC or switch port, possibly a bad patch
cable. Is there a switch between the hosts or a cross over cable?

But, look at the time interval between the down/up states. If it's
always less than the cluster action threshold then this shouldn't be an
issue. If it's greater than the threshold it is likely the cause of the
software fence activating.

There are other possible causes. This is simply the first that comes to
mind.

--
Stan

Mauro 08-12-2012 09:27 PM

On 12 August 2012 20:39, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> On 8/12/2012 4:44 AM, Mauro wrote:

>>> To determine that you need to look at your logs files, not your config
>>> files. If the nodes are rebooting due to fencing it will be logged
>>> somewhere, as should the underlying network errors that cause the fence
>>> to close.
>>
>> Yes, I look at my logs but the only thing I see is that node 1 fence
>> node 2 or node 2 fence node 1 because one node doesn't see other node,
>> but I don't understard what is the problem, if it is a problem of my
>> NIC or other.
>
> Is there more than one set of these in any dmes files on either host:
>
> Jul 26 00:38:26 [host] kernel: e100 0000:00:0d.0: eth0: NIC Link is Down
> Jul 26 00:38:28 [host] kernel: e100 0000:00:0d.0: eth0: NIC Link is Up
> 100 Mbps Full Duplex

No, any link down in any log file :-(
I really don\'t understand why the reboots :-(

> If so it may indicate a flaky NIC or switch port, possibly a bad patch
> cable. Is there a switch between the hosts or a cross over cable?

There is a cisco 3570 switch.

Stan Hoeppner 08-13-2012 03:43 AM

On 8/12/2012 4:27 PM, Mauro wrote:
> On 12 August 2012 20:39, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, I look at my logs but the only thing I see is that node 1 fence
>>> node 2 or node 2 fence node 1 because one node doesn\'t see other node,
>>> but I don\'t understard what is the problem, if it is a problem of my
>>> NIC or other.
>>
>> Is there more than one set of these in any dmes files on either host:
>>
>> Jul 26 00:38:26 [host] kernel: e100 0000:00:0d.0: eth0: NIC Link is Down
>> Jul 26 00:38:28 [host] kernel: e100 0000:00:0d.0: eth0: NIC Link is Up
>> 100 Mbps Full Duplex
>
> No, any link down in any log file :-(
> I really don\'t understand why the reboots :-(
>
>> If so it may indicate a flaky NIC or switch port, possibly a bad patch
>> cable. Is there a switch between the hosts or a cross over cable?
>
> There is a cisco 3570 switch.

Are these controlled shutdowns? Or are these hardware crash/reboots
that are occurring?

If the former you should see syslog entries for the shutdown sequence.
If the latter, you won\'t see anything in the logs. This would suggest
you\'ve got a hardware problem, and not related to faulty NICs or switches.

What kind of UPS are these machines powered from? Have you checked the
UPS and verified they are functioning properly? If you have a power
even and the UPS drop the load, the machines will reboot without a hint
in the logs as to what caused the reboot.

Finally, what servers are theses? Dell/HP/IBM or whitebox? Memory
mismatch or simply bad memory can cause inexplicable reboots. If the
machines are decent quality, they BIOS should log such events.

--
Stan

Mauro 08-13-2012 08:37 AM

continuous reboots in a two nodes cluster with heartbeat and pacemaker.

> Are these controlled shutdowns? Or are these hardware crash/reboots
> that are occurring?
>
> If the former you should see syslog entries for the shutdown sequence.
> If the latter, you won\'t see anything in the logs. This would suggest
> you\'ve got a hardware problem, and not related to faulty NICs or switches.
>
> What kind of UPS are these machines powered from? Have you checked the
> UPS and verified they are functioning properly? If you have a power
> even and the UPS drop the load, the machines will reboot without a hint
> in the logs as to what caused the reboot.
>
> Finally, what servers are theses? Dell/HP/IBM or whitebox? Memory
> mismatch or simply bad memory can cause inexplicable reboots. If the
> machines are decent quality, they BIOS should log such events.

Servers are Hp proliant DL580G5.
I\'m afraid that I have hardware problems :-(
The strange thing is that happens alternately in both nodes.

Stan Hoeppner 08-13-2012 08:58 PM

On 8/13/2012 3:37 AM, Mauro wrote:

>> Are these controlled shutdowns? Or are these hardware crash/reboots
>> that are occurring?
>>
>> If the former you should see syslog entries for the shutdown sequence.
>> If the latter, you won\'t see anything in the logs. This would suggest
>> you\'ve got a hardware problem, and not related to faulty NICs or switches.
>>
>> What kind of UPS are these machines powered from? Have you checked the
>> UPS and verified they are functioning properly? If you have a power
>> even and the UPS drop the load, the machines will reboot without a hint
>> in the logs as to what caused the reboot.
>>
>> Finally, what servers are theses? Dell/HP/IBM or whitebox? Memory
>> mismatch or simply bad memory can cause inexplicable reboots. If the
>> machines are decent quality, they BIOS should log such events.
>
> Servers are Hp proliant DL580G5.
> I\'m afraid that I have hardware problems :-(

I don\'t think you have enough solid information yet to make that
assumption, unless you\'ve discovered something you didn\'t share with us.

> The strange thing is that happens alternately in both nodes.

That being the case I\'d suspect something other than server hardware.
To be sure, manually remove one node from the cluster and see how long
the remaining node runs without rebooting. If it doesn\'t reboot at all,
that eliminates hardware as the fault point.

--
Stan

Mauro 08-14-2012 06:24 AM

On 13 August 2012 22:58, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> That being the case I\'d suspect something other than server hardware.
> To be sure, manually remove one node from the cluster and see how long
> the remaining node runs without rebooting. If it doesn\'t reboot at all,
> that eliminates hardware as the fault point.

good idea, I do it now.

Mauro 08-17-2012 06:52 AM

On 14 August 2012 08:24, Mauro <mrsanna1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13 August 2012 22:58, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
>
>> That being the case I\'d suspect something other than server hardware.
>> To be sure, manually remove one node from the cluster and see how long
>> the remaining node runs without rebooting. If it doesn\'t reboot at all,
>> that eliminates hardware as the fault point.
>
> good idea, I do it now.

I\'ve done what you have suggested.
It seems that the node reboots without reason.
It is like it is powered off, in fact in the boolog I see that the
journal filesystem is recovered.
It seems very strange to me, perhaps ram bugged?