Old 08-11-2012, 06:58 AM
Greg Madden

Default UEFI install (was: Squeeze install in ultrabooks with SSD and HDD)

On Friday 10 August 2012 1:17:16 am Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 9. August 2012 schrieb Greg Madden:

> > > I think it is not so easy as I have googled it. Intel RST, UEFI etc
> > > making things difficult and many have bricked their system. Hence my
> > > post.
> >
> > I think the issues you read about are for Windows 8 and the 'secure
> > boot' feature of the UEFI bios?
> >
> > I have not tried Squeeze, Wheezy works fine on a Thinkpad with the UEFI
> > bios, SSD & mSata.
>
> I think Squeeze does not support UEFI properly. It would at least need
> a 3.2 backport kernel
>
> What did you do to make it work? I have tried two times to get
> either of:
>
> - GPT + UEFI
> - MBR + UEFI
> - GPT + BIOS
>
> to work on a ThinkPad T520 and the only think that works right now is
>
> - MBR + BIOS
>
> My problem was that the UEFI boot menu never offered to boot from the
> EFI boot partition that I made. I think I might have been missing some
> efibootmgr magic that was explained here or elsewhere before, but as you
> managed to get to work, I´d like to know the exact steps or a link to a
> guide that works, before trying again. Why the GPT + BIOS stuff did not
> work is beyond me – I hat a BIOS boot partition for GRUB and grub-install
> also seemed to use it.
>
> I bet its not really faster tough since the ThinkPad doesn´t take much
> time in the BIOS anyway. And due to LVM I do not really need GPT, but it
> would be nice to have it anyway.

I am not dual booting, I am using virtualization for the second OS. I have two
ssd's, not at the same time, Win7 host and a Wheezy host.

Not sure about all the:
> - GPT + UEFI
> - MBR + UEFI
> - GPT + BIOS

I just installed Wheezy and it seemed to install just like any other install I
have done.

--
Peace,

Greg