-   -   could not grab your keyboard (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/692633-could-not-grab-your-keyboard.html)

lina 08-10-2012 01:53 PM

could not grab your keyboard

Hi,

I met following problem:

"Could not grab your keyboard.
A malicious client may be eavesdropping on your
session or you may just clicked a menu or some
application decided to get focused. Try again"

It has never happened before. It's my first time met above problem. When
I use wireless.

Are there some potential danger? Before the keyboard just no reaction.

now it has no problem.

Thanks with best regards,

lina 08-10-2012 02:11 PM

On Friday 10,August,2012 09:53 PM, lina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I met following problem:
>
> "Could not grab your keyboard.
> A malicious client may be eavesdropping on your
> session or you may just clicked a menu or some
> application decided to get focused. Try again"
>
> It has never happened before. It's my first time met above problem. When
> I use wireless.
>
> Are there some potential danger? Before the keyboard just no reaction.
>
> now it has no problem.
>
> Thanks with best regards,

I used the "Terminal server client" at that time.

With the following package I updated today:

binfmt-support
comerr-dev
consolekit
desktop-base
desktop-file-utils
doc-base
e2fslibs
e2fsprogs
fontconfig
fonts-opensymbol
gnome-icon-theme
gnome-menus
hicolor-icon-theme
initramfs-tools
install-info
libck-connector0
libck-connector-dev
libcomerr2
libglib2.0-0
libss2
man-db
menu
mime-support
python-uno
shared-mime-info
ttf-opensymbol
uno-libs3
ure

But I don't know which one is the culprit?

Thanks ahead, sorry I don't know which info. is the most relevant here,
so just providing something I could think of so far.

Best regards,

Camaleón 08-10-2012 04:17 PM

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 21:53:02 +0800, lina wrote:

> I met following problem:
>
> "Could not grab your keyboard.
> A malicious client may be eavesdropping on your session or you may just
> clicked a menu or some application decided to get focused. Try again"

(...)

Unless you provide additional information on the above message (when it
happens, what are you running...) I can only but recommend:

http://bit.ly/MHjIx8

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

lina 08-11-2012 03:07 AM

On Saturday 11,August,2012 12:17 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 21:53:02 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> I met following problem:
>>
>> "Could not grab your keyboard.
>> A malicious client may be eavesdropping on your session or you may just
>> clicked a menu or some application decided to get focused. Try again"
>
> (...)
>
> Unless you provide additional information on the above message (when it
> happens, what are you running...) I can only but recommend:

Thanks, I will try to answer the questions.

at that time I connected to another Window system via Terminal Server
Client, I was outside, the wireless connection was not so strong.
It was slow, so I left the laptop for 5 mins, around.
Then I came back, actually no one around and it's outside, in some
canteen at night.
First it's no reaction from keyboard,
my first worry was that the dampness. I mean inside there was
air-conditioner, so the temperature of the laptop was quite low, when
put outside, it's hot, so there will some water condensate on it.
Might those water affected the laptop.
Another worry was that, someone definitely hated me, drop some water on
it when I was absent (because I used to sit at that place whenever I sat
outside), it's quite a "mean" worry, anyway, that's how did I think at
the first mins.
With time going, still not work, the keyboard.
then the screen popped up this message, I looked around, nobody, so
there was no worry about "eavesdropping".
So I just shutdown the laptop and came back inside.

That's the whole story, but overall those info. seems helpless in this
context.

Chris Bannister 08-12-2012 02:01 PM

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 11:07:23AM +0800, lina wrote:
> With time going, still not work, the keyboard.
> then the screen popped up this message, I looked around, nobody, so
> there was no worry about "eavesdropping".
> So I just shutdown the laptop and came back inside.

:), the eavesdropping message probably refers to MITM (man in the
middle)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack

Google the exact message, it might lead you to the appllication which
sprouts it.

I would mention it to your administrator, he/she would probably want to
know.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

lina 08-12-2012 02:52 PM

On Sunday 12,August,2012 10:01 PM, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 11:07:23AM +0800, lina wrote:
>> With time going, still not work, the keyboard.
>> then the screen popped up this message, I looked around, nobody, so
>> there was no worry about "eavesdropping".
>> So I just shutdown the laptop and came back inside.
>
> :), the eavesdropping message probably refers to MITM (man in the
> middle)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack
>
> Google the exact message, it might lead you to the appllication which
> sprouts it.

Thank you, there indeed one thing pretty weird, recently working on the
remote windows system via the terminal server client are damn slow.
I just wait and wait for its reaction, it's not something happened weeks
before.

I don't know how to examine it, will wireshark be helpful in examing here?
It use RDP protocol, with username and password.

> I would mention it to your administrator, he/she would probably want to
> know.

BTW, I just drop him an email. Thanks again,

Best regards,

Chris Bannister 08-12-2012 04:35 PM

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 10:52:11PM +0800, lina wrote:
> I don't know how to examine it, will wireshark be helpful in examing here?
> It use RDP protocol, with username and password.

If you know enough to know how to use it and interpret the results, then
sure, why not?

Mmmm, what does your network/system administrator get paid for again? :)

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Camaleón 08-12-2012 04:40 PM

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:07:23 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Saturday 11,August,2012 12:17 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 21:53:02 +0800, lina wrote:
>>
>>> I met following problem:
>>>
>>> "Could not grab your keyboard.
>>> A malicious client may be eavesdropping on your session or you may
>>> just clicked a menu or some application decided to get focused. Try
>>> again"
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Unless you provide additional information on the above message (when it
>> happens, what are you running...) I can only but recommend:
>
> Thanks, I will try to answer the questions.

Much better, thanks :-)

So in brief, that you were connected over a remote session to another
system and you suddenly got the message after a while, right?

Okay, the first I would do is replacing the keyboard or if you are using
the one of your laptop, attach an external one and check if the message
reappears.

Should this happens again, you can try to remotely login to the laptop
(via ssh) and restart the X server (init 1) in te hope this solves the
problem. You can also restart your current user session or open a new one
(from another user, in paralel).

Also, review your "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for any anomality. It could have
been a random hardware glitch.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

lina 08-12-2012 04:47 PM

On 13 Aug, 2012, at 0:40, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:07:23 +0800, lina wrote:

>>> (...)
>>>
>>> Unless you provide additional information on the above message (when it
>>> happens, what are you running...) I can only but recommend:
>>
>> Thanks, I will try to answer the questions.
>
> Much better, thanks :-)
>
> So in brief, that you were connected over a remote session to another
> system and you suddenly got the message after a while, right?
>
> Okay, the first I would do is replacing the keyboard or if you are using
> the one of your laptop, attach an external one and check if the message
> reappears.
>
> Should this happens again, you can try to remotely login to the laptop
> (via ssh) and restart the X server (init 1) in te hope this solves the
> problem. You can also restart your current user session or open a new one
> (from another user, in paralel).
>
> Also, review your "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for any anomality. It could have
> been a random hardware glitch.

Thanks. It only happened once. But the slowness of the remote ones came up quite often.

Next time I guess I won't be easily a bit freak out to shut down the laptop.
I may check that day's Xorg.0.log.

Best regards,

lina 08-12-2012 04:54 PM

On 13 Aug, 2012, at 0:35, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 10:52:11PM +0800, lina wrote:
>> I don't know how to examine it, will wireshark be helpful in examing here?
>> It use RDP protocol, with username and password.
>
> If you know enough to know how to use it and interpret the results, then
> sure, why not?
I will take it as chance to learn.

> Mmmm, what does your network/system administrator get paid for again? :)
Actually I only know one of them.
He is a quite nice person. There are also some other I'm not familiar with.
I guess he will send me feedback in one day or two.

Thanks again with best regards,