Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Debian desktop news

Is this [1] true? I welcome this.

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
-------- Forwarded Message --------
To: linux-audio-user
Subject: [LAU] Debian desktop news
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 22:40:37 -1000

Debian is dropping GNOME3 as their default desktop environment, and
going with XFCE. Why? Because they can't fit Debian+GNOME3 onto a single CD.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE1NTk

You may now return to your regularly-scheduled interruption.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Darac Marjal

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 03:08:50PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Is this [1] true? I welcome this.

Partly. See http://lists.debian.org/jvu3q0$kgo$12@dough.gmane.org and
the ongoing thread.

However, I don't know whether you can really say "Debian+GNONE3". Debian
is nothing without the packages. Gnome 3 is part of Debian.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Guy Gold

On Fri,Aug 10 02:26:PM, Darac Marjal wrote:

> However, I don't know whether you can really say "Debian+GNONE3". Debian
> is nothing without the packages. Gnome 3 is part of Debian.

When was GNOME3 the default desktop for Debain ? (luckily , it
was not in squeeze, which came with GNOME2 , I'm unning Squeeze
with Gnome 2.3 , am I missing anything ?

--
Quick and simple Linux solutions Blog - http://www.at4me.com

Old 08-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Dan Ritter

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 09:33:04AM -0400, Guy Gold wrote:
> On Fri,Aug 10 02:26:PM, Darac Marjal wrote:
>
> > However, I don't know whether you can really say "Debian+GNONE3". Debian
> > is nothing without the packages. Gnome 3 is part of Debian.
>
> When was GNOME3 the default desktop for Debain ? (luckily , it
> was not in squeeze, which came with GNOME2 , I'm unning Squeeze
> with Gnome 2.3 , am I missing anything ?

GNOME 3 has never been the default desktop for Debian Stable. It
was, for a while, the default for Wheezy, but has been replaced
by XFCE because GNOME 3 will not fit on the first CD image.

You will still be able to install GNOME 3 by either downloading
more images or using the standard repositories.

GNOME 3 is quite different from the GNOME 2 series, and has made
some people correspondingly upset. XFCE is fairly similar to
GNOME 2, and may suit those people better. In particular, GNOME
3 really wants 3D accelerated video. XFCE doesn't care much
about that.

-dsr-

--
http://randomstring.org/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.
You can't fight for freedom by taking away rights.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:30 PM
John Hasler

Guy writes:
> When was GNOME3 the default desktop for Debain ?

Gnome was the default desktop for quite a while. It was assumed that
Gnome3 would be the default for Wheezy but it turns out to be too large
to fit on the first CD. Gnome3 will presumably be a choice in Tasksel.
It would be possible, I suppose, to make Gnome the default desktop on
the first DVD but I see no reason why the installer crew should make the
extra effort.
--
John Hasler

Old 08-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Guy Gold

On Fri,Aug 10 09:55:AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> GNOME 3 is quite different from the GNOME 2 series, and has made
> some people correspondingly upset. XFCE is fairly similar to
> GNOME 2, and may suit those people better. In particular, GNOME
> 3 really wants 3D accelerated video. XFCE doesn't care much

Yes, I have worked with XFCE .
Does that mean that future releases of Debian will no longer
support GNOME 2 ?

--
Quick and simple Linux solutions Blog - http://www.at4me.com

Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 14:26 +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 03:08:50PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Is this [1] true? I welcome this.
>
> Partly. See http://lists.debian.org/jvu3q0$kgo$12@dough.gmane.org and
> the ongoing thread.
>
> However, I don't know whether you can really say "Debian+GNONE3". Debian
> is nothing without the packages. Gnome 3 is part of Debian.

Thank you and I apologize again. I already noticed this thread.

Regards,
Ralf

Old 08-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 09:33 -0400, Guy Gold wrote:
> On Fri,Aug 10 02:26:PM, Darac Marjal wrote:
>
> > However, I don't know whether you can really say "Debian+GNONE3". Debian
> > is nothing without the packages. Gnome 3 is part of Debian.
>
> When was GNOME3 the default desktop for Debain ? (luckily , it
> was not in squeeze, which came with GNOME2 , I'm unning Squeeze
> with Gnome 2.3 , am I missing anything ?

For some people GNOME is GNOME. For me GNOME3 isn't GNOME.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:35:52 -0400, Guy Gold wrote:

> Does that mean that future releases of Debian will no longer support
> GNOME 2 ?

Yes, I think so... since Wheezy and until Squeeze is supported.

GNOME2 has been (or will be soon) deprecated/dead end from upstream GNOME
project (the same it was KDE3) so what can distributions do to handle
this? GNOME2 (and most important, its related libraries) is not going to
receive enhancements anymore so should distributions spend their scarce
resources in packaging a DE (with OTOH, is a rather bigger and complex
project) that is not being actively developed/evolved?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Guy Gold

Yes, there it is :

from : http://wiki.debian.org/DebianWheezy

=======================
Packages & versions

apt: 0.9.7
kernel: Linux 3.2
gcc: 4.7.1

Gnome 3.4, KDE 4.8, Xfce 4.8

libc: eglibc 2.13
X Server: Xorg R7.7

======================

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:35:52 -0400, Guy Gold wrote:
>
> > Does that mean that future releases of Debian will no longer support
> > GNOME 2 ?
>
> Yes, I think so... since Wheezy and until Squeeze is supported.
>
> GNOME2 has been (or will be soon) deprecated/dead end from upstream GNOME
> project (the same it was KDE3) so what can distributions do to handle
> this? GNOME2 (and most important, its related libraries) is not going to
> receive enhancements anymore so should distributions spend their scarce
> resources in packaging a DE (with OTOH, is a rather bigger and complex
> project) that is not being actively developed/evolved?
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Guy Gold