-   -   package wxmacmolplt broken (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/692573-package-wxmacmolplt-broken.html)

Francesco Pietra 08-10-2012 10:27 AM

package wxmacmolplt broken

Hi all:

Package wxmacmolplt on wheezy is broken. It currently requires
libglew1.6, while libglew1.7 is currently installed.

thanks
francesco pietra

Camaleón 08-10-2012 03:05 PM

package wxmacmolplt broken

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:27:22 +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:

(please, don't cross-post without warning the users about it)

> Package wxmacmolplt on wheezy is broken. It currently requires
> libglew1.6, while libglew1.7 is currently installed.

Mmm, I see no package in Debian repos with that name :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Chris Bannister 08-12-2012 01:45 PM

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 03:05:56PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:27:22 +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
>
> (please, don't cross-post without warning the users about it)

Huh? Since when? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting

"A crossposted message takes up less server storage space, and creates
less network traffic, than if individual messages had been posted to
multiple newsgroups."

You might be confusing cross posting with multi posting; multi posting
is frowned upon.

Besides, it is obvious in the headers whether the message is cross
posted, the warning is hence redundant, extra typing, and therefore
unnecessary.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Bob Proulx 08-12-2012 08:48 PM

Chris Bannister wrote:
> Huh? Since when? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting
>
> "A crossposted message takes up less server storage space, and creates
> less network traffic, than if individual messages had been posted to
> multiple newsgroups."

Of course that applies to usenet newsgroups but does not apply to
mailing lists such as debian-user. Mailing lists will generate a new
message with the same message-id for every message regardless of
whether it is crossposted to several mailing lists or not. There is
no savings of server space as there is in a usenet group. It should
be obvious that mailing lists are simply managing email. Sorry but
the ability to share a posting across newsgroups is a detail of a
usenet newsgroup and trying to apply it to a mailing list which is
something completely different is missing the mark by a mile.

This detail is not dimished by having gateways that copy mailing list
traffic to a newsgroup and the reverse. The primary item is the
mailing list. The newsgroup is a derivative of it.

Bob

Chris Bannister 08-13-2012 01:21 PM

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 02:48:44PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Chris Bannister wrote:
> > Huh? Since when? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting
> >
> > "A crossposted message takes up less server storage space, and creates
> > less network traffic, than if individual messages had been posted to
> > multiple newsgroups."
>
> Of course that applies to usenet newsgroups but does not apply to
> mailing lists such as debian-user. Mailing lists will generate a new
> message with the same message-id for every message regardless of
> whether it is crossposted to several mailing lists or not.

Eeek! of course, humble apologies. But crossposting is still preferable
to multi posting as far as ML are concerned, would you agree?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Bob Proulx 08-13-2012 06:11 PM

Chris Bannister wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Of course that applies to usenet newsgroups but does not apply to
> > mailing lists such as debian-user. Mailing lists will generate a new
> > message with the same message-id for every message regardless of
> > whether it is crossposted to several mailing lists or not.
>
> Eeek! of course, humble apologies. But crossposting is still preferable
> to multi posting as far as ML are concerned, would you agree?

Well... Neither are really preferable. :-)

Posting the same message multiple times to multiple mailing lists is
obviously bad. But crossposting also has problems. I mean do I as a
subscriber on one of the mailing lists reply to all of them or just
the one to which I am subscribed? If I do respond to all and the
other mailing lists have different policies such as requiring being
subscribed to post then I end up with a rejection. (Not a problem on
Debian lists but true on others.) So normally I would only reply to
the mailing list to which I am subscribed. But then that causes a
split brain problem in the conversion. In any case it gets messy.

I would prefer if people picked one venue and then had some patience
for the discussion there before trying to start up the same thing on
another list. Depending upon the result the discussion may move. Or
it may conclude just fine on the first list. Or it may move but with
a completely different direction due to the gain of the initial
discussion.

I don't think it is always bad. For example I would use it for
announcements to an announcement only list in addition to a discussion
list. But then also set both Mail-Followup-To and Reply-To back to a
single discussion list. Because otherwise people group reply
discussion back to the announcement only list. As an announcement
list moderator elsewhere let me say that it does add to the moderator
workload to need to be watchful for discussion replies from people who
didn't know how to reply or used a poor mailer that didn't follow the
rules in the reply. And for anyone that replies to them on the
discussion list the CC's can continue for a long time.

In the end it is a judgement call.

Bob