-   -   UEFI install (was: Squeeze install in ultrabooks with SSD and HDD) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/692553-uefi-install-squeeze-install-ultrabooks-ssd-hdd.html)

Martin Steigerwald 08-10-2012 09:17 AM

Am Donnerstag, 9. August 2012 schrieb Greg Madden:
> On Thursday 09 August 2012 4:37:05 am L V Gandhi wrote:
> > >
> > > You don't have to do anything special. Just partition the disks the
> > > way you like. Linux installers normally expect that dual booting
> > > is a common requirement so they usually handle it pretty well.
> >
> > I think it is not so easy as I have googled it. Intel RST, UEFI etc
> > making things difficult and many have bricked their system. Hence my
> > post.
>
> I think the issues you read about are for Windows 8 and the 'secure
> boot' feature of the UEFI bios?
>
> I have not tried Squeeze, Wheezy works fine on a Thinkpad with the UEFI
> bios, SSD & mSata.

I think Squeeze does not support UEFI properly. It would at least need
a 3.2 backport kernel

What did you do to make it work? I have tried two times to get
either of:

- GPT + UEFI
- MBR + UEFI
- GPT + BIOS

to work on a ThinkPad T520 and the only think that works right now is

- MBR + BIOS

My problem was that the UEFI boot menu never offered to boot from the
EFI boot partition that I made. I think I might have been missing some
efibootmgr magic that was explained here or elsewhere before, but as you
managed to get to work, I´d like to know the exact steps or a link to a
guide that works, before trying again. Why the GPT + BIOS stuff did not
work is beyond me – I hat a BIOS boot partition for GRUB and grub-install
also seemed to use it.

I bet its not really faster tough since the ThinkPad doesn´t take much
time in the BIOS anyway. And due to LVM I do not really need GPT, but it
would be nice to have it anyway.

Thanks,