Old 08-10-2012, 12:35 AM

Default Noniteractive Installation

I am new to Linux. I would like to install Linux over and over again on
the same machine trying out different things. I would like to have a
record of what I did and what my findings were.

Is it possible to have a script that will guide the installation so
everything is recorded, where I can annotate each line to understand
what it does, and not have to answer any questions (which don't get
recorded and require me to wait for the interaction)?

What do I need to search for to find out how to do this? Is there
already a tool to do all of this?

What is a good source to help understand what all of the lines of script
mean?

What is a good way bring my machine back to its ground state to rebuild?

Thank you very much.

ray

Old 08-10-2012, 02:05 AM
Guy Gold

On Thu,Aug 09 05:35:PM, ray@aarden.us wrote:
> I am new to Linux. I would like to install Linux over and over again on
> the same machine trying out different things. I would like to have a
> record of what I did and what my findings were.

Hi Ray,
This can be a good place to start:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s01.html.en

Regardless of if you'll go with scripting or not :
"These messages can also be found in /var/log/syslog. After
installation, this log is copied to /var/log/installer/syslog on
your new system. Other installation messages may be found in
/var/log/ during the installation, and /var/log/installer/ after
the computer has been booted into the installed system."

--

Quick and simple Linux Solutions blog

http://www.at4me.com

Old 08-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 09 aug 12, 17:35:10, ray@aarden.us wrote:

> What do I need to search for to find out how to do this? Is there
> already a tool to do all of this?

Kind regards,
Andrei