Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 AM
"Digby Tarvin"

Default Kernel source packages..

Can anyone shed any light on the differences between the
various kernel source packages in the repository, and which is
the best choice for just being able to reproduce the running kernel?

The example in my Martin Kraft book refers to:
apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.8
but I can't find a 'kernel-source-anything'..

The docs on debian.org suggest
apt-get install linux-source-2.6

but looking in the repository I also see
linux-source
as well as
linux-tree-2.6.18-n
where n is a number between 1 and 8, and there are also
linux-tree-2.6.18.dfag.1-n
where n is 9-19, some with 'etch' followed by a digit appaended.

The above are all 'v' packages. There is also
linux-source-2.6.18
and
linux-tree-2.6.18
which are actual packages.
Can anyone explain what the reasonaing is behind this organization?

Thanks,
DigbyT

Old 04-14-2008, 03:24 AM
David Witbrodt

> Can anyone shed any light on the differences between
> the various kernel source packages in the
repository,
> and which is the best choice for just being able to
> reproduce the running kernel?
>
> The example in my Martin Kraft book refers to:
> apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.8
> but I can't find a 'kernel-source-anything'..

The book is great, but already a bit out of date.
Krafft has a website (not recently updated) which
includes error corrections and new information here:

http://debiansystem.info

If you read the section of the book discussing the
naming of kernel-related packages -- including images,
headers-only packages, and source packages -- then all
of the information is correct... it's just that Debian
policy renamed 'kernel-*' to 'linux-*' many moons ago
(back at kernel 2.6.12, I believe). See this:

http://debiansystem.info/readers/changes/260-package-names

HTH,
Dave Witbrodt

Old 04-14-2008, 05:05 AM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 12:52:41AM +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> Can anyone shed any light on the differences between the
> various kernel source packages in the repository,

kernel-source-* are for sarge and below
linux-source-* are for etch and beyond
Then do
apt-cache show $PACKAGE
and read the Description:
(for example, difference between linux-source-2.6.18 and linux-tree-2.6.18)

> and which is
> the best choice for just being able to reproduce the running kernel?

apt-cache show linux-image-$(uname -r)|grep ^Source:

Possibly it will return that the source package for your running kernel is

linux-2.6

then (if you use deb-src lines in sources.list)

grep -A1 "^Package: linux-2.6" /var/lib/apt/lists/*_Sources|less

will show all binary packages produced by the linux-2.6 source package.

Chose the linux-source-* or linux-tree-* or whatever you prefer (possibly
linux-source-2.6.18 or linux-source-2.6.24).

If you want to recompile, also
apt-cache show kernel-package
might be useful

Old 04-14-2008, 06:19 AM
martin f krafft

also sprach Digby Tarvin <lists2008@skaro.afraid.org> [2008.04.14.0252 +0200]:
> The example in my Martin Kraft book refers to:
> apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.8
> but I can't find a 'kernel-source-anything'..

Try linux-source-*. The kernel packaging has changed substantially
since my book was published.

I am working on a new edition. Unfortunately, I cannot foresee
a release date yet.

> Can anyone explain what the reasonaing is behind this
> organization?

Did you see kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org?

--
.'`. martin f. krafft <madduck@debian.org>
: :' : proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user

(a)bort, (r)etry, (p)retend this never happened

Old 04-15-2008, 03:25 PM
"Digby Tarvin"

Many thanks to David, NN_il_Confusion and martin for their suggestions,
in particular..

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:24:09PM -0700, David Witbrodt wrote:

> The book is great, but already a bit out of date.
> Krafft has a website (not recently updated) which
> includes error corrections and new information here:
>
> http://debiansystem.info
.
.

Excellent! Very glad to know about that we site. Thanks! (and to Martin
for setting it up)

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 07:05:33AM +0200, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 12:52:41AM +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> > Can anyone shed any light on the differences between the
> > various kernel source packages in the repository,
>
> kernel-source-* are for sarge and below
> linux-source-* are for etch and beyond
> Then do
> apt-cache show $PACKAGE
> and read the Description:
> (for example, difference between linux-source-2.6.18 and linux-tree-2.6.18)
.
.

I'm still a bit of a newbie with the Debian package management stuff.
Obviously a bit more reading to do, but it is nice to know there are
ways to get the answers to these things... thanks for the clues as to
where to look..

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 08:19:41AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:

> Try linux-source-*. The kernel packaging has changed substantially
> since my book was published.
>
> I am working on a new edition. Unfortunately, I cannot foresee
> a release date yet.

Must be quite a job keeping up with a moving target like the
Debian system...

I hate the thought of throwing away my well thumbed first edition,
but I suppose it is inevitable. Maybe you should think of putting out
a yearly addendum between editions. I'd subscribe

Are there, incidentally, any journals out there that are particulalry
good for debian users?

> > Can anyone explain what the reasonaing is behind this
> > organization?
>
> Did you see kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org?

Thanks, stumbled across a link to this on the debian.org site after
I sent the original message. Still reading...

Regards,
DigbyT