Old 08-09-2012, 12:48 AM
L V Gandhi

Default Squeeze install in ultrabooks with SSD and HDD

Has any one installed dual boot system of windows and squeeze in
ultrabooks with both mSATA SSD and HDD?
Kindly give links or procedure to keep windows and linux.

--
L V Gandhi

Old 08-09-2012, 04:28 AM
Gary Dale

Has any one installed dual boot system of windows and squeeze in
ultrabooks with both mSATA SSD and HDD?
Kindly give links or procedure to keep windows and linux.

You don't have to do anything special. Just partition the disks the way
you like. Linux installers normally expect that dual booting is a common
requirement so they usually handle it pretty well.

Archive: 50233C73.9030709@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/50233C73.9030709@rogers.com

Old 08-09-2012, 12:37 PM
L V Gandhi

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> wrote:
> On 08/08/12 08:48 PM, L V Gandhi wrote:
>>
>> Has any one installed dual boot system of windows and squeeze in
>> ultrabooks with both mSATA SSD and HDD?
>> Kindly give links or procedure to keep windows and linux.
>>
> You don't have to do anything special. Just partition the disks the way you
> like. Linux installers normally expect that dual booting is a common
> requirement so they usually handle it pretty well.

I think it is not so easy as I have googled it. Intel RST, UEFI etc
making things difficult and many have bricked their system. Hence my
post.

--
L V Gandhi

Old 08-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Gary Dale

Has any one installed dual boot system of windows and squeeze in
ultrabooks with both mSATA SSD and HDD?
Kindly give links or procedure to keep windows and linux.

You don't have to do anything special. Just partition the disks the way you
like. Linux installers normally expect that dual booting is a common
requirement so they usually handle it pretty well.

I think it is not so easy as I have googled it. Intel RST, UEFI etc
making things difficult and many have bricked their system. Hence my
post.
Check the BIOS to see if UEFI can be turned off. If it can't then you
can't boot from an uncertified OS. However, I'm not aware of any systems
currently that don't allow you to turn off UEFI. If yours is one, then
return the computer and get one that allows you to install a different OS.

Archive: 5023DED9.7060304@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/5023DED9.7060304@rogers.com

Old 08-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Greg Madden

On Thursday 09 August 2012 4:37:05 am L V Gandhi wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> wrote:
> > On 08/08/12 08:48 PM, L V Gandhi wrote:
> >> Has any one installed dual boot system of windows and squeeze in
> >> ultrabooks with both mSATA SSD and HDD?
> >> Kindly give links or procedure to keep windows and linux.
> >
> > You don't have to do anything special. Just partition the disks the way
> > you like. Linux installers normally expect that dual booting is a common
> > requirement so they usually handle it pretty well.
>
> I think it is not so easy as I have googled it. Intel RST, UEFI etc
> making things difficult and many have bricked their system. Hence my
> post.

I think the issues you read about are for Windows 8 and the 'secure boot' feature
of the UEFI bios?

I have not tried Squeeze, Wheezy works fine on a Thinkpad with the UEFI bios, SSD
& mSata.

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 08-10-2012, 02:15 AM
L V Gandhi

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 09 August 2012 4:37:05 am L V Gandhi wrote:
>> >
>> > You don't have to do anything special. Just partition the disks the way
>> > you like. Linux installers normally expect that dual booting is a common
>> > requirement so they usually handle it pretty well.
>>
>> I think it is not so easy as I have googled it. Intel RST, UEFI etc
>> making things difficult and many have bricked their system. Hence my
>> post.
>

> I think the issues you read about are for Windows 8 and the 'secure boot' feature
> of the UEFI bios?
>
> I have not tried Squeeze, Wheezy works fine on a Thinkpad with the UEFI bios, SSD
> & mSata.
>
> --
> Peace,
>
> Greg

Thanks. Do you have dual boot system of windows and wheezy or only
wheezy? If dual boot, can you explain the procedure you adapted to
install both OSs

--
L V Gandhi