Old 04-13-2008, 11:01 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

Default libdvdcss2 can't decrypt DVDs

Hello there. First time I post to this list.

I am having problems decrypting DVDs. It may be a hardware bug, but I
actually suspect more of a software bug. Allow me to describe the
symptoms.

About two months ago, I could happily play any DVD that I put into my
drive, using Marillat's libdvdcss2 package. Also around that time, I
may have bumped my laptop's DVD drive or something to that effect,
since I started to notice skipping during DVD playback, although DVDs
would still play. Also during one full-upgrade on that occasion (I
track lenny, with an occasional non-critical sid package here and
there), I rebooted the lappy, and now DVDs won't play, although they
did just before the reboot. So I'm not sure if the full-upgrade or if
physical damage to my DVD drive is the problem.

I tested hardware errors by using dd to copy the entirety of one
uncrackable DVD. I got no I/O errors when doing so, but maybe I should
test that again.

I just remembered that I also fooled around with regionset, which said
that my DVD player probably had no region, but I told it to attempt to
set a region anyways, but it replied that it couldn't do so.

Here is what looks like relevant error messages:

libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x000002a0
libdvdcss debug: cracking title key at block 672
libdvdcss error: read error
libdvdcss debug: read error at block 672, resorting to secret arcanes to recover
libdvdcss debug: opening target `/dev/hda'
libdvdcss debug: using libc for access
libdvdcss error: read error
libdvdcss debug: end of title reached
libdvdcss debug: successful attempts 0/0, scrambled blocks 0/0
libdvdcss debug: title key is 00:00:00:00:00
libdvdcss error: fatal error in vts css key

I thought that "read error" could be a hardware problem, but like I
said above, I couldn't get any read errors when dding the beginning of
the disk. I wasn't patient enough to wait for dd to copy all the end
to the disk, but I assume that the encryption information is at the
beginning of the disk. Furthermore, unencrypted pirated DVDs play
fine, and they're thankfully very readily available here in Mexico. I
may just resort to only buying pirated DVDs since the MPAA's DRM is
making me it impossible for me to watch their movies. :-)

It would still be nice to be able to crack my own DVDs instead of
getting help from the professional pirates. Help?

Thanks in advance,
- Jordi G. H.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:04 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

On 13/04/2008, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought that "read error" could be a hardware problem, but like I
> said above, I couldn't get any read errors when dding the beginning of
> the disk.

Oh, never mind. It is a hardware problem. I tested this one minute
after posting this:

jordi@Iris:/media/cdrom/VIDEO_TS$ dd if=VIDEO_TS.VOB of=/home/jordi/foo
dd: reading `VIDEO_TS.VOB': Input/output error
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes (0 B) copied, 0.0580532 s, 0.0 kB/s

:-(

- Jordi G. H.