Old 08-07-2012, 03:51 AM
Gary Dale

Default BD-RE mount problem

I've been using BD-RE discs for backups on a Debian/Squeeze server for a
couple of years now. In the last week or so the backups have been
failing. I haven't modified my backup script so I thought about possible
hardware issues.

- I tried changing the BluRay writer but got the same problem.
- I tried new discs but got the same problem.
- I tried replacing the PCI-SATA controller that the machine needed for
the BluRay writer, but still got the same problem.
- the discs do formate correctly when I try dvd+rw-format -force=full
/dev/sr0

Finally, I tried an entirely different machine with a different model of
BluRay writer and I'm still getting the same problem.

This new machine has a different architecture (AMD64) and is running
Debian/Wheezy. Why am I getting the same problem?

I tried a new disc again, and this time formatted it through K3B instead
of using dvd+rw-format directly. It appeared to format correctly - and
no longer shows as an empty BD-RE disc when I insert it - but still
wouldn't mount.

All the mount attempts give exactly the same result:

# mount /media/dvd
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
dmesg | tail or so

The /etc/fstab entry is the same between the two machines:
/dev/sr0 /media/dvd udf user 0 0

I'm using Memorex BD-RE 2x discs. I've used an LG, ASUS and Pioneer
BluRay writer - the first two on the older machine. The ASUS and Pioneer
are brand new writers.

Any ideas?

Archive: 502090C8.9080401@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/502090C8.9080401@rogers.com

Old 08-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Gary Dale

[...]

Further to above, I did a file copy using K3B onto one of the BD-RE
discs that won't mount. K3B appeared to recognize that there was a udf
file system on the disc.

After it finished, it automounted as /media/cdrom0 with fs type iso9660.
However, I could also mount it as /media/dvd. Switching to root, I was
also able to mount it using

mount -t udf /dev/sr0 /media/dvd
Running mount shows that it is mounted as a udf file system.

However, I can't mount it -rw. It insists that the file system is read-only.

Also, I booted my computer from a USB key containing system rescue CD.
Again, the mount fails.

Here's a sequence I just tried:

root@transponder:/home/garydale# mkudffs /dev/sr0
Error opening device: Read-only file system
root@transponder:/home/garydale# mount /media/dvd

root@transponder:/home/garydale# mount /media/cdrom0
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
dmesg | tail or so

Afterward, I started up k3B and tried tools | format. The format dialog
has a pulldown for the media which shows "Complete Data BD-RE". It
wouldn't do a format - said it didn't need to do one - unless I do a
force, which I decided against.

I was able to burn a data project, after which the BluRay disc
automounts as /media/cdrom0 again. The mount command (no options) shows
it as:

/dev/sr0 on /media/cdrom0 type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

I can also mount it as /media/dvd, where the mount command shows it
mounted as:

/dev/sr0 on /media/dvd type udf (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,utf8)

Trying to format the disk using dvd+rw-format is now giving me:
root@transponder:/home/garydale# dvd+rw-format -force=full /dev/sr0
* BD/DVD±RW/-RAM format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 7.1.
* 24.2GB BD media detected.
* formatting .:-[ FORMAT UNIT failed with SK=5h/INVALID FIELD IN
PARAMETER LIST]: Input/output error

I get the same if I try to -blank or -format as well.

And of course, the device shows as 100% full under df, since it seems to
really be an iso9660 formatted disc.

Here's the dvd+rw-mediainfo:

root@transponder:/home/garydale# dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0
INQUIRY: [PIONEER ][BD-RW BDR-207D][1.10]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
Mounted Media: 43h, BD-RE
Media ID: RITEK/BW1
Current Write Speed: 2.0x4495=8990KB/s
Write Speed #0: 2.0x4495=8990KB/s
Speed Descriptor#0: 00/11826175 R@2.0x4495=8990KB/s W@2.0x4495=8990KB/s
READ DISC INFORMATION:
Disc status: complete
Number of Sessions: 1
State of Last Session: complete
Number of Tracks: 1
READ FORMAT CAPACITIES:
formatted: 11826176*2048=24220008448
00h(3000): 11826176*2048=24220008448
30h(3000): 11826176*2048=24220008448
30h(5000): 11564032*2048=23683137536
30h(1000): 12088320*2048=24756879360
31h(800): 12219392*2048=25025314816
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
Track State: complete
Track Start Address: 0*2KB
Free Blocks: 0*2KB
Track Size: 11826176*2KB
FABRICATED TOC:
Track#1 : 14@0
Track#AA : 14@11826176
Multi-session Info: #1@0
READ CAPACITY: 11826176*2048=24220008448

I've been formatting DVD-RAM discs as UDF for years before switching to
BD-RE. I've always been able to mount them, erase files from them and
copy files to them without problems. Now it suddenly seems like none of
my BluRay equipped machines will let me do it.

Any ideas anyone?

Archive: 50217139.3080701@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/50217139.3080701@rogers.com

Old 08-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Chris Bannister

On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 11:51:36PM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
> I'm using Memorex BD-RE 2x discs. I've used an LG, ASUS and Pioneer
> BluRay writer - the first two on the older machine. The ASUS and
> Pioneer are brand new writers.
>
> Any ideas?

Have you tried different media?

Also a quick google shows that you might get some help on the cdwrite
list: http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 08-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Chris Bannister

[Ccing cdwrite@other.debian.org]

Any ideas?

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 03:49:13PM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
> [...]
> formatted: 11826176*2048=24220008448
> 00h(3000): 11826176*2048=24220008448
> 30h(3000): 11826176*2048=24220008448
> 30h(5000): 11564032*2048=23683137536
> 30h(1000): 12088320*2048=24756879360
> 31h(800): 12219392*2048=25025314816
> READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
> Track State: complete
> Track Start Address: 0*2KB
> Free Blocks: 0*2KB
> Track Size: 11826176*2KB
> FABRICATED TOC:
> Track#1 : 14@0
> Track#AA : 14@11826176
> Multi-session Info: #1@0
> READ CAPACITY: 11826176*2048=24220008448
>
> I've been formatting DVD-RAM discs as UDF for years before switching
> to BD-RE. I've always been able to mount them, erase files from them
> and copy files to them without problems. Now it suddenly seems like
> none of my BluRay equipped machines will let me do it.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 08-09-2012, 04:08 PM
"Thomas Schmitt"

Hi,

[i am subscribed to cdwrite@other.debian.org, not to debian-user]

> > >I tried a new disc again, and this time formatted it through K3B
> > >instead of using dvd+rw-format directly.

I don't know what K3B does as "formatting", but dvd+rw-format does
only a hardware level formatting. It does not create a filesystem.

> > Further to above, I did a file copy using K3B onto one of the BD-RE
> > discs that won't mount. K3B appeared to recognize that there was a
> > udf file system on the disc.

I would rather expect that it created one around the files which
you told it to copy.

> > After it finished, it automounted as /media/cdrom0 with fs type
> > iso9660.

So it is probably an ISO 9660/UDF hybrid filesystem created by
mkisofs (which was started under the control of K3B).

> > However, I can't mount it -rw. It insists that the file system is
> > read-only.

This is not the variant of UDf which you want.
You want a read-write filesystem.

> > root@transponder:/home/garydale# mkudffs /dev/sr0
> > Error opening device: Read-only file system

This should have worked.
Do you have no w-permission to /dev/sr0 ?

I just exercised with success:
mkudffs /dev/sr1
mount /dev/sr1 /mnt
cp /some/dir /mnt
umount /mnt

Hardware:
INQUIRY: [HL-DT-ST][BD-RE GGW-H20L ][YL03]
Mounted Media: 43h, BD-RE
Media ID: VERBAT/IM0

(Not that i ever would do that for backup. The umount time alone gives
me creeps. No chance to get full write speed. Arrrgh !!!
I use my own ISO 9660 multi-session tool xorriso for backups.)

> > root@transponder:/home/garydale# dvd+rw-format -force=full /dev/sr0
> > * BD/DVD±RW/-RAM format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 7.1.
> > * 24.2GB BD media detected.
> > * formatting .:-[ FORMAT UNIT failed with SK=5h/INVALID FIELD IN
> > PARAMETER LIST]: Input/output error

It would be interesting to see what paramaters the program sent
with the FORMAT UNIT command. According to the source code it would
be Format Type 0x30 with sub-type 2.
This should not cause an error.

> > Here's the dvd+rw-mediainfo:
> >
> > root@transponder:/home/garydale# dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0
> > READ FORMAT CAPACITIES:
> > formatted: 11826176*2048=24220008448

Well, it is already formatted. That should suffice for a whole
media life. The problem is to get mkudffs to work.

Maybe it is reluctant to overwrite a valid ISO 9660 or UDF on the
medium ?
Try to overwrite it by brute force
umount /dev/sr0
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sr0 bs=2048 count=1024
mkudffs /dev/sr0

If 1024 blocks of 0s is not enough, then try to flood the whole medium
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sr0 bs=2048 count=11826176

> > Any ideas anyone?

You could use sequential burn programs like growisofs or xorriso.
Both can add files to ISO 9660 filesystems on BD-RE.
Those filesystems are mountable read-only.

If you canafford to have the medium only readable on Linux,
then you could try to format it by mkfs -t ext2.
But that might reduce the lifetime of your BD-RE by overwriting the
same blocks frequently.

Actually your mkudffs approach should just work (with all its
advantages and drawbacks towards ISO 9660 sessions.)

Have a nice day

Thomas

Old 08-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Gary Dale

[...]

Yes, I have read-write permissions. I tried xorriso to fix the disc as
well but it also fails.

root@transponder:/home/garydale# dvd+rw-format -force=full /dev/sr0
* BD/DVD±RW/-RAM format utility by<appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 7.1.
* 24.2GB BD media detected.
* formatting .:-[ FORMAT UNIT failed with SK=5h/INVALID FIELD IN
PARAMETER LIST]: Input/output error

It would be interesting to see what paramaters the program sent
with the FORMAT UNIT command. According to the source code it would
be Format Type 0x30 with sub-type 2.
This should not cause an error.
I've seen mention of this in some of my google searches on the various
messages I've been getting. Can you elaborate on how to change the
format type from the command line?

Here's the dvd+rw-mediainfo:

root@transponder:/home/garydale# dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0
READ FORMAT CAPACITIES:
formatted: 11826176*2048=24220008448

Well, it is already formatted. That should suffice for a whole
media life. The problem is to get mkudffs to work.

Maybe it is reluctant to overwrite a valid ISO 9660 or UDF on the
medium ?
Try to overwrite it by brute force
umount /dev/sr0
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sr0 bs=2048 count=1024
mkudffs /dev/sr0

If 1024 blocks of 0s is not enough, then try to flood the whole medium
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sr0 bs=2048 count=11826176

Already tried that. dd complains:
dd: opening `/dev/sr0': Read-only file system

Any ideas anyone?

You could use sequential burn programs like growisofs or xorriso.
Both can add files to ISO 9660 filesystems on BD-RE.
Those filesystems are mountable read-only.

If you canafford to have the medium only readable on Linux,
then you could try to format it by mkfs -t ext2.
But that might reduce the lifetime of your BD-RE by overwriting the
same blocks frequently.

Actually your mkudffs approach should just work (with all its
advantages and drawbacks towards ISO 9660 sessions.)

I use udf so I can access the files directly. I have found it useful to
do a cmp between the files on the HD and the BD-RE to ensure they copied
correctly. If the cmp fails, I rsync the bad file (these are .tar.lzma
archives that are often quite large). I try this 3 times before
reporting a backup error.

Archive: 5023E8C7.40103@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/5023E8C7.40103@rogers.com

Old 08-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Keith McKenzie

On 9 August 2012 17:43, Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> wrote:

> Already tried that. dd complains:
> dd: opening `/dev/sr0': Read-only file system

It sounds like it is mounted; try unmounting it, & then try dd again.

--
Sent from FOSS (Free Open Source Software)
Debian GNU/Linux

Old 08-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Gary Dale

dd: opening `/dev/sr0': Read-only file system

It sounds like it is mounted; try unmounting it,& then try dd again.

root@transponder:/home/garydale# umount /dev/sr0
umount: /dev/sr0: not mounted
root@transponder:/home/garydale# dd of=/dev/sr0 bs=2048 count=1024
dd: opening `/dev/sr0': Read-only file system

Also,

root@transponder:/home/garydale# mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sr0
mke2fs 1.42.4 (12-Jun-2012)
/dev/sr0 is entire device, not just one partition!
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
/dev/sr0: Read-only file system while setting up superblock

Archive: 5023F33D.1000906@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/5023F33D.1000906@rogers.com

Old 08-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Gary Dale

You could use sequential burn programs like growisofs or xorriso.
Both can add files to ISO 9660 filesystems on BD-RE.
Those filesystems are mountable read-only.

If you canafford to have the medium only readable on Linux,
then you could try to format it by mkfs -t ext2.
But that might reduce the lifetime of your BD-RE by overwriting the
same blocks frequently.

Actually your mkudffs approach should just work (with all its
advantages and drawbacks towards ISO 9660 sessions.)

Have a nice day

Thomas
Actually, I also tried using K3B to burn as udf. I started a Data
Project then under Properties | Filesystem there are a couple of UDF
options. Neither worked. Both say "Could not determine size of
resulting image file"

The debugging output is :

Devices
-----------------------
PIONEER BD-RW BDR-207D 1.10 (/dev/sr0, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM,
DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL)
[DVD-ROM, DVD-R Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Sequential, DVD-R Dual
Layer Jump, DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW,
DVD+R, DVD+R Dual Layer, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, BD-ROM, BD-R Sequential
(SRM), BD-R Random (RRM), BD-RE] [SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R,
RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite, Layer Jump, Random
Recording, Sequential Recording, Sequential Recording + POW] [%7]

K3b::IsoImager
-----------------------
mkisofs print size result: 0 (0 bytes)

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 2.0.2
KDE Version: 4.8.4 (4.8.4)
QT Version: 4.8.2
Kernel: 3.2.0-3-amd64

Used versions
-----------------------
mkisofs: 1.1.11

mkisofs
-----------------------
/usr/bin/genisoimage: Unable to find previous session PVD '/dev/sr0'.

mkisofs calculate size command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/genisoimage -cdrecord-params 0,0 -gui -graft-points
-print-size -quiet -volid K3b data project -volset -appid K3B THE CD
KREATOR (C) 1998-2010 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND MICHAL MALEK -publisher
-preparer -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort
/tmp/kde-garydale/k3bM10144.tmp -rational-rock -hide-list
/tmp/kde-garydale/k3ba10144.tmp -no-cache-inodes -udf
-full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 3 -path-list
/tmp/kde-garydale/k3bu10144.tmp

Archive: 5023F672.8010709@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/5023F672.8010709@rogers.com

Old 08-09-2012, 05:45 PM
"Thomas Schmitt"

Hi,

> Yes, I have read-write permissions.

Something does not work properly.
Are any related messages to see in the output of dmesg ?

> I tried xorriso to fix the disc as well but it also fails.

What did you try and what did it report when it failed ?
(We could get a log of SCSI commands from xorriso by
command -scsi_log on .)

> > > root@transponder:/home/garydale# dvd+rw-format -force=full /dev/sr0
> > > * formatting .:-[ FORMAT UNIT failed with SK=5h/INVALID FIELD IN
> > > PARAMETER LIST]: Input/output error

> I've seen mention of this in some of my google searches on the various
> messages I've been getting. Can you elaborate on how to change the format
> type from the command line?

If you use -force without "=full" then you get sub-type 3.
>From dvd+rw-format.cpp:
if (full && (formats[i+4+4]>>2)!=0x31)
formats[i+4+4] |= 2;// "Full Certificaton"
else if ((formats[i+4+4]>>2)==0x30)
formats[i+4+4] |= 3;// "Quick Certification"

But i do not see the formatting state of the medium as the cause
of your problems.

> dd: opening `/dev/sr0': Read-only file system

Something is wrong deep in the kernel or in the hardware.
A BD-RE should be writable at least for the superuser.

But how does this match your report that it fails on another
system too ?
Very riddling.

Can you read raw data from the medium ?
dd if=/dev/sr0 bs=2048 count=16 | wc