Old 04-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

Default VLANs on Debian Etch

Hey everyone,

I've been googling around for information regarding VLANs on debian. What I need to do is create a VLAN interface so that all packets outgoing from my Etch box (telnet, pings, etc.) are tagged with a specific VLAN. I am not sure how this is done in etch.

Here is a summary of what I found:

* VLAN support has been integrated into Linux Kernel since 2.4.14.

* Not all network cards support VLAN tagging. How do I find out if it does?

* Configuring VLAN is done through the 'vconfig' program but it is not installed by default in etch.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Amit

Old 04-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Steve Kemp

On Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 12:52:12 -0700, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:

> * VLAN support has been integrated into Linux Kernel since 2.4.14.

Yes.

> * Not all network cards support VLAN tagging. How do I find out if it does?

Try it and see?

> * Configuring VLAN is done through the 'vconfig' program but it is
> not installed by default in etch.

Indeed. But you can get it and set it up easily:

"apt-get install vlan"
"vi /etc/network/config" - then add something like:

auto eth0:1
iface eth0:1 inet static
address 10.0.0.3
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.0.0.1
vlan_raw_device eth0

Obviously the network and device settings will vary.

> Any ideas?

Hard to say, there is a rough overview above, but you don't say
what you've tried, or what you'd like to do. Honestly if you don't
offer evidence of putting in a minimal bit of evidence it is likely
your message(s) will just be deleted..

Steve
--
# Commercial Debian GNU/Linux Support
http://www.linux-administration.org/

Old 04-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Allan Wind

On 2008-04-13T12:52:12-0700, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> * Not all network cards support VLAN tagging. How do I find out if it does?

Look at the hardware specifications published by vendor, or failing that look
at the retail specifications.

> * Configuring VLAN is done through the 'vconfig' program but it is not installed by default in etch.

$ apt-file search bin/vconfig
vlan: sbin/vconfig

The other important piece of data is setting up suitable interfaces in
/etc/network/interfaces. Here is what I do:

[...]

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto eth0.1
iface eth0.1 inet dhcp
pre-up /etc/init.d/iptables start

auto eth0.2
iface eth0.2 inet static
address 192.168.0.1
broadcast 192.168.0.255
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0

where .1 and .2 are the vlan numbers.

/Allan
~

Old 04-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 20:57:51 +0100
Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 12:52:12 -0700, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
>
> > * VLAN support has been integrated into Linux Kernel since 2.4.14.
>
> Yes.
>
> > * Not all network cards support VLAN tagging. How do I find out if it does?
>
> Try it and see?
>
> > * Configuring VLAN is done through the 'vconfig' program but it is
> > not installed by default in etch.
>
> Indeed. But you can get it and set it up easily:
>
> "apt-get install vlan"
> "vi /etc/network/config" - then add something like:
>
> auto eth0:1
> iface eth0:1 inet static
> address 10.0.0.3
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 10.0.0.1
> vlan_raw_device eth0
>
> Obviously the network and device settings will vary.
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> Hard to say, there is a rough overview above, but you don't say
> what you've tried, or what you'd like to do. Honestly if you don't
> offer evidence of putting in a minimal bit of evidence it is likely
> your message(s) will just be deleted..

Thanks for quick reply. You're right I should have searched aptitude and looked at the vlan package.

I should have put in more details of what I've done.

I apologize.

Amit

Old 04-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Steve Kemp

On Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 13:15:36 -0700, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:

> I should have put in more details of what I've done.
> I apologize.

No problem, and you're welcome. You were just unlucky enough to
receive that section of my mail.

There have been lots of queries recently with people saying things
like "Tell me how to fix a bug", etc, with no sign of actual effort
on their part.

I overreacted. Anyway I'm glad you're on the right track now.

Steve