Old 08-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Keith McKenzie

Default Setting up to do repetitive installs on ONE machine (cf BabelBox)

On 6 August 2012 14:46, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> I have two objectives:
> 1. Define, by experimentation, optimal installation parameters to meet my
> idiosyncratic concept of a "minimal install".
> 2. Determine if there are bugs in Debian Installer, the instructions for
> the installer, or MY reading of those instructions.
>
> I've bought the 8 DVD set of Debian 6.0.5 and have set aside a laptop as a
> testbed. I would divvy up the 80GB drive with 8-10GB for a quasi-static
> Debian install [some other experiments, possible supervisor for these tests]
> and ~40GB for DVD content [possibly some additional packages]. The rest
> would be for the resulting test install and possibly preserving some log
> files.
>
> "Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide" (particularly sections 4 & 5 and
> appendix B) give some indication that what I want to do is feasible.
> BabelBox {http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/BabelBox} indicates that
> something quite _similar_ has been done.
>

> Open questions about BabelBox and its suitability for my goals:
>
> BabelBox is apparently aimed at a fully scripted fully automated repetitive
> install install dependent only on the first DVD of a release [e.g. "When you
> get to partitioning, create a Linux partition on /dev/sda1 ( *_about 1.5 to
> 4GB_* depending on which media you want to use as installation media)..."
> {EMPHASIS added}].
>
> I will, initially, be doing only manual installs using preseeding to avoid
> entering fixed data - keyboard, time zone, user name/password, no networking
> etc.
>
> Can I simply copy all 8 DVD's to the root of my supervising Debian install?
> After an install will I be able to do apt-get to access the DVD content now
> residing on the hard drive?
> Am I missing something?
> Are there other routes to my goals I should investigate?

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/BabelBox says,
For questions about babelbox, contact the debian-boot mailing list.

I think you will only be able to access one .iso image.
If you want a repository, I think you will have to create one, & I
don't think you will just be able to access multiple dvd's.

I also think the installation will just be the standard desktop.

You have an interesting concept with what you are planning, but I
don't think it will be at all easy to accomplish, but I wish you luck.

--
Sent from FOSS (Free Open Source Software)
Debian GNU/Linux

Old 08-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Richard Owlett

Keith McKenzie wrote:

[...]

I had seen that.
I debated whether I was more a "user" than a potential "tester".
It appeared obvious that BabelBox was not meant to fill my
needs although there are some common features. As my subject
line indicates I was using it as a point of comparison.

Considering my last two questions

Am I missing something?
Are there other routes to my goals I should investigate?

to be primary, I chose this list.

I'll post also to the debian-boot mailing list.

I think you will only be able to access one .iso image.
If you want a repository, I think you will have to create one,& I
don't think you will just be able to access multiple dvd's.

I also think the installation will just be the standard desktop.

You have an interesting concept with what you are planning, but I
don't think it will be at all easy to accomplish, but I wish you luck.

I've never been noted for doing things the "easy way".

Archive: 50202189.5080602@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/50202189.5080602@cloud85.net

Old 08-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Lu, 06 aug 12, 08:46:14, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Are there other routes to my goals I should investigate?

FAI? http://fai-project.org

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 08-08-2012, 01:15 PM