Old 08-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Default OnDemand-performance was (OT: klang)

Am Montag, 6. August 2012 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> Hi Debian and LAU list,

Hi,

> sorry for the cross-posting, but I want to verify if Debian still is
> using and not using some CPU frequency scaling script:

Why donīt you just look?

> On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 08:42:02 +0200, Jeremy wrote:
> > On 08/05/12 22:04, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >> Last time I used Debian there was a script /etc/init.d/cpufrequtils
> >> that set up the governor to ondemand.
> >
> > It's on Ubuntu too, but not on a default install. If Debian has
> > cpufrequtils installed by default and uses this instead of the
> > ondemand init script let me know so I can add it to the wiki.
>
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> thank you for maintaining this Wiki.
>
> From a script I wrote 2011-Nov-23 for Debian stable and testing, at
> least for stable I suspect this didn't change until today:
>
> [snip]
> CPUFREQ_SET=/usr/bin/cpufreq-set
> CPUFREQ_INFO=/usr/bin/cpufreq-info
> CPUFREQ_UTILS=/etc/init.d/cpufrequtils
> [snip]
>
> Yes, there was (is) no /etc/init.d/ondemand, but there was (is)
> /etc/init.d/cpufrequtils and Debian did (does) use
> cpufreq-set.

Package cpufrequtils, which seems to be superseded by cpupower, but I did
not see this one packaged yet.

I am not sure whether cpufrequtils is part of a default install, but even
if not I do believe that ondemand is standard governor in Linux.

martin@merkaba:~> grep CPU_FREQ /boot/config-3.2.0-3-amd64
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=m
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=m

And then even if cpufrequtils is not installed the kernel should do CPU
frequency scaling provided that udev finds and loads a kernel driver:

martin@merkaba:~> grep CPUFREQ /boot/config-3.2.0-3-amd64
CONFIG_X86_PCC_CPUFREQ=m
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m

It easy to verify this with a default install.

Ciao,

Old 08-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 10:43 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Why donīt you just look?

I already answered to Martin off-list, I guess the list should at least
getting informed, that I had a "default" Debian install in November 2012
and I'm not sure what exactly was/is default.

I'm nearly sure that default is
for the script /etc/init.d/cpufrequtils
and for the software it's cpufreq-set, cpufreq-info
and there's no script /etc/init.d/ondemand.

This is important to maintain a wiki for pro-audio tweaks.
http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=system_configuration#cpu_frequency_sca ling
It's done by Jeremy Jongepier and he asked for mistakes in the Wiki.

Regards,
Ralf

Old 08-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Montag, 6. August 2012 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 10:43 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Why donīt you just look?
>
> I already answered to Martin off-list, I guess the list should at least
> getting informed, that I had a "default" Debian install in November
> 2012 and I'm not sure what exactly was/is default.
>
> I'm nearly sure that default is
> for the script /etc/init.d/cpufrequtils
> and for the software it's cpufreq-set, cpufreq-info
> and there's no script /etc/init.d/ondemand.

I never seen any init script ondemand on any debian machine.

packages.debian.org doesnīt know such a file either for Squeeze.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 13:40 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Montag, 6. August 2012 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> > On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 10:43 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > Why donīt you just look?
> >
> > I already answered to Martin off-list, I guess the list should at least
> > getting informed, that I had a "default" Debian install in November
> > 2012 and I'm not sure what exactly was/is default.
> >
> > I'm nearly sure that default is
> > for the script /etc/init.d/cpufrequtils
> > and for the software it's cpufreq-set, cpufreq-info
> > and there's no script /etc/init.d/ondemand.
>
> I never seen any init script ondemand on any debian machine.
>
> packages.debian.org doesnīt know such a file either for Squeeze.

Thank you, I'll forward this to Linux audio users mailing list. Regards,
Ralf