Old 08-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Tony Baldwin

Default Who's interested in project management & collaboration tools? And...

On Sat, Aug 04, 2012 at 09:28:13PM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> .... where are they and how do I get their attention?
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> Open source software development involves a lot of distributed
> collaboration - and I expect that many folks here, like me, are
> involved in one or more projects, and dealing with all kinds of
> project management administrivia. So.. I wonder if I might solicit
> opinions....

I think project management means different things to different people.
I find that 0 (zero, none, nada) of project management applications meet my
needs as owner of a small language services provider (translation
agency), for instance.
They all seem overly complex and unadapted to my particular needs while
managing translation projects.
I've started writing a translation project management platform, myself,
in php/mysql. http://tonyb.us/transprocloud

> I've been working on some open source software to support virtual teams
> and projects - putting some of the experiences and techniques I've
> acquired over the years into code - and I'm trying to gather some
> support via Kickstarter.

I imagine if I put my project up on kickstarter, I would get exactly 0
(zero, none, nada) support, too.

> The thing is, I'm having a very hard time getting people to even visit
> the project's web page - so far, only about 300 people have visited the
> Kickstarter page, despite some serious attempts to spread the word
> across various email lists, twitter, and so forth.

Nobody cares about project management platforms, except people who
write them, I'm starting to believe.

> It's one thing if people were looking at the page and not contributing,
> but I can't even seem to get people's attention - which suggestions one
> or more of four things:
>
> - nobody cares about project management

BINGO! WE HAVE A WINNER!

> (I hope this isn't the case - I
> know administrivia isn't sexy, but an awful lot of people are working on
> an awful lot of projects, and getting buried in mountains of paper,
> email, phone calls, texts, meetings, and yellow stickies. I sure know
> that I'm always looking for ways to declutter that side of my life)
>
> - I'm not reaching people who care.
./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time!

Old 08-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Chris Bannister

On Sat, Aug 04, 2012 at 09:28:13PM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> So... I'd really welcome any feedback on the questions who cares about
> project management & collaboration tools, how to reach them, and what
> might motivate them enough to take a look at what I'm doing?

Instead of "motivation" think "inspiration".

Maybe people who already need that sort of thing already have it, and
don't need to look further. I'm thinking gantt charts, pert charts etc.

AIUI, a lot of project management is done using a whiteboard, diary,
phone etc.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 08-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Miles Fidelman

Chris Bannister wrote:

So... I'd really welcome any feedback on the questions who cares about
project management & collaboration tools, how to reach them, and what
might motivate them enough to take a look at what I'm doing?

Instead of "motivation" think "inspiration".

Good point.

Maybe people who already need that sort of thing already have it, and
don't need to look further. I'm thinking gantt charts, pert charts etc.

AIUI, a lot of project management is done using a whiteboard, diary,
phone etc.

That's exactly what I've found over the years, and what inspires this
project. It's really easy to manage a project when everybody can get
together around a whiteboard every few days. As soon as people are
spread across the net, it becomes a lot harder to do something as simple
as maintain an action item list. It turns into:

a. send it out by email, immediately followed by 100s of messages
containing questions and answers, details, updates, .... - which have to
be reassembled manually, or,

b. put the list on a wiki page, a google doc, or a google spreadsheet,
and deal with managing a host or relying on a service provider (and not
being able to work offline, or make private notes on your copy of the list)

What I'd really like to have is something as simple as linked
spreadsheets - but where the links actually work across the net, and
aren't tied to MS Office. Basically, an action item list, stored as a
local file, accessed through a browser, that syncs with copies across
the net with a peer-to-peer protocol. That would solve 95% of my
project management needs, and provide a platform that could be built on
(like spreadsheet templates).

But.. how to make this message crystal clear, and put it in front of
people who care... that's a challenge completely separate from writing
the code. Sigh...

Cheers,

Miles

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra