Old 04-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Rob Gabaree

Default Best/correct way to use Python 2.5 in Etch?

Hi all,

I know that Etch comes with Python 2.4 by default and that I can
install 2.5 via `aptitude` and have it available via the `python2.5`
binary. But once I do that, is there anything else I should do?

I've searched Google and seen that many people have edited '/usr/share/
python/debian_defaults' to make `python2.5` the 'default-version' and
remove it from the 'unsupported-versions' line, and then do something
like `pycentral updatedefault python2.4 python2.5`, although doing
that and running `pyversions -vd` still returns 2.4 for me for some
reason. People have also removed the '/usr/bin/python' symlink and
replaced it with a symlink pointing to python2.5, but I'm not sure if
that will break anything.

Is the above necessary to do, or should I simply use `python2.5`
whenever I want to use Python 2.5 and leave the '/usr/bin/python'
binary and 'debian_defaults' file alone? I know that with python-
setuptools, I can simply use `easy_install-2.5` instead of just
`easy_install` to have my packages automatically played in the correct
Python site-packages directory, so it doesn't seem like an issue
there.

Thanks for any help!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 10:55:14 -0700 (PDT)
Rob Gabaree <rgabaree@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know that Etch comes with Python 2.4 by default and that I can
> install 2.5 via `aptitude` and have it available via the `python2.5`
> binary. But once I do that, is there anything else I should do?
>
> I've searched Google and seen that many people have edited '/usr/share/
> python/debian_defaults' to make `python2.5` the 'default-version' and
> remove it from the 'unsupported-versions' line, and then do something
> like `pycentral updatedefault python2.4 python2.5`, although doing
> that and running `pyversions -vd` still returns 2.4 for me for some
> reason. People have also removed the '/usr/bin/python' symlink and
> replaced it with a symlink pointing to python2.5, but I'm not sure if
> that will break anything.
>
> Is the above necessary to do, or should I simply use `python2.5`
> whenever I want to use Python 2.5 and leave the '/usr/bin/python'
> binary and 'debian_defaults' file alone? I know that with python-
> setuptools, I can simply use `easy_install-2.5` instead of just
> `easy_install` to have my packages automatically played in the correct
> Python site-packages directory, so it doesn't seem like an issue
> there.
>
> Thanks for any help!

Hi there,

I had this exact same problem. I needed python 2.5 but had etch. I do not recommend to install python 2.5 from aptitude since it is not the newest version available. Here are the steps I took...

* Simply download and install the latest python from source. It is very easy to do.
- This installs it to /usr/local/ so it is separate from python 2.4 installed in etch.
- Now, whenever you type 'python' or 'easy_install' it automatically refers to the python 2.5 you installed in /usr/local since debian by default has /usr/local before /usr/bin in your PATH variable.

* Now, you can install any package you like using easy_install and you have a separate python 2.5 and you don't have to worry about symlinks, default python, etc.

I have using this on a production etch machine without any problems.

Let me know if you need further help or more detailed instructions.

Amit