Old 08-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Darac Marjal

Default replacing GDM with a script

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 12:22:27PM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> I am running 3 Linux distros with Sid as my main one. I am curious
> to know if it's possible to replace GDM with a BASH script. The
> issue is complicated because I run 3 window managers with Sid and a
> similar situation with the other 2 distros. Googling the problem
> hasn't turned up much of interest. I am in Sid most of the time, so
> the script could only apply here. Does anyone have any suggestions?

With all the same functionality? Unlikely.

As a simple "mystartx <session>"? Probably. Try looking at how the
simpler display-managers work (lightdm, slim, nodm etc).

Old 08-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Dan Ritter

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 12:22:27PM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> I am running 3 Linux distros with Sid as my main one. I am curious
> to know if it's possible to replace GDM with a BASH script. The
> issue is complicated because I run 3 window managers with Sid and a
> similar situation with the other 2 distros. Googling the problem
> hasn't turned up much of interest. I am in Sid most of the time, so
> the script could only apply here. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but let me outline
some possibilities:

- you don't have to run GDM at all. Disable it with update-rc.d
and shut it down (/etc/init.d/gdm stop). Then you can start X
per user with startx. You can script that.

- Perhaps you want to have custom GDM sessions? Look at the
config files. You can select a desktop environment at GDM
login time.

-dsr-

Old 08-02-2012, 06:10 PM
cortman

Or you can add a command to start x and your window manager to init.d.

Regards,
Cortman

Old 08-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Wayne Topa

I am running 3 Linux distros with Sid as my main one. I am curious
to know if it's possible to replace GDM with a BASH script. The
issue is complicated because I run 3 window managers with Sid and a
similar situation with the other 2 distros. Googling the problem
hasn't turned up much of interest. I am in Sid most of the time, so
the script could only apply here. Does anyone have any suggestions?

With all the same functionality? Unlikely.

As a simple "mystartx<session>"? Probably. Try looking at how the
simpler display-managers work (lightdm, slim, nodm etc).

I have been using this in my .bashrc file for years. Maybe it could
help you? I have never used GDM.

x()
{
depth=${1:-24}
for i in `seq 0 4`; do if [ ! -f /tmp/.X${i}-lock ]; then D=$i;
break; fi; done

if [ -z $D ]; then
echo "No free virtual terminal"
else
/usr/bin/startx -- :${D} -depth 24 -dpi 96 2> ~/.X.err >
~/.X.out &

fi
}

Archive: 501ACE49.3070101@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/501ACE49.3070101@gmail.com

Old 08-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Tom H

Old 08-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Wayne Topa

[...]

I assume I'd have to disable (or remove) GDM. How do you use it ?

I don't see why , but remember I have never used gdm and don't have it
installed.

1. Add the above to .bashrc
2. run . .bashrc to reread the .bashrc file
3. to run it just type an x to go to X.

HTH

Archive: 501AEF1E.7040101@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/501AEF1E.7040101@gmail.com

Old 08-03-2012, 01:57 AM