Old 04-13-2008, 01:50 PM
mike

Default update manger question

today when my update manger ran (on my lenny system) it said it couldn't
update normally, I had to run "apt-get dist-upgrade" to get the
openoffice and a few other applications installed.

My question is, What makes those different? Why not just a normal upgrade?
thanks
-mike

Old 04-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 09:50:16 -0400
mike <mail4mike2008-debian@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello mike,

> My question is, What makes those different? Why not just a normal
> upgrade?

$DEITY knows; I managed it with a normal upgrade. What update manager
are you using?

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Stained glass windows keep the cold outside
Religion - Public Image Ltd

Old 04-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Graham

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 09:50:16 -0400
mike <mail4mike2008-debian@yahoo.com> wrote:

> today when my update manger ran (on my lenny system) it said it
> couldn't update normally, I had to run "apt-get dist-upgrade" to get
> the openoffice and a few other applications installed.
> My question is, What makes those different? Why not just a normal
> upgrade? thanks
> -mike

I don't use Lenny, but I imagine it's due to new dependencies that an
upgraded package needed. apt-get upgrade will only upgrade the packages
that are currently on your installation, not anything new. If a package
requires a new package to satisfy a dependency, then you need to use
apt-get dist-upgrade instead of the usual upgrade, because that will
add new packages if needed.

Graham

Old 04-13-2008, 02:47 PM
mike