FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Sthu Deus
 
Default Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

Good time of the day.


Please help me to make my mic. working on wheezy laptop. It has

[AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

sound card. Though mic work in laptop built-in test suite (called on
key press at boot), amixer shows no mic:

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 24 [77%] [-10.50dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 24 [77%] [-10.50dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Capabilities: pvolume penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 103 [40%] [-30.40dB]
Front Right: Playback 103 [40%] [-30.40dB]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 15
Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [off]
Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Digital',0
Capabilities: cvolume penum
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 120
Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [-30.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [-30.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Mux',0
Capabilities: cvolume penum
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 4
Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB]

- this is complete its output.

Please share any ideas on what can be done to make mic. working.

Thanks for Your time.


Sthu.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 501a4bbd.5086980a.1bc8.5b19@mx.google.com">http://lists.debian.org/501a4bbd.5086980a.1bc8.5b19@mx.google.com
 
Old 08-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 16:43:21 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Please help me to make my mic. working on wheezy laptop. It has
>
> [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

That info is not enough to identify your hardware properly :-)

Run these command and put here the ouput:

cat /proc/asound/cards
head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec*

> sound card. Though mic work in laptop built-in test suite (called on key
> press at boot), amixer shows no mic:

(...)

> - this is complete its output.
>
> Please share any ideas on what can be done to make mic. working.

It can be that sound card is not being properly detected and you need to pass
the "model=" parameter to the ALSA config file. Depending on the codec and your
kernel verion, you can edit the alsa configuration file and append to the
"options" line a value that matches with your sound card hardware settings:

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt

It can also be that your sound card chipset is too new for your kernel or alsa
version but that would be strange given that your're on wheezy. Was the mic
detected before or has never worked?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jvh24t$e45$21@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 AM
Sthu Deus
 
Default Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

Good time of the day, Camaleón.


Thank You for Your time and answer.
You wrote:

> > [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
>
> That info is not enough to identify your hardware properly :-)

> Run these command and put here the ouput:

OK, here it comes:

> cat /proc/asound/cards

0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
HDA ATI SB at 0xc0000000 irq 16

> head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec*

head: cannot open `/proc/asound/card0/codec' for reading: No such file
or directory

What do I miss here?

> > sound card. Though mic work in laptop built-in test suite (called
> > on key press at boot), amixer shows no mic:
>
> (...)
>
> > - this is complete its output.
> >
> > Please share any ideas on what can be done to make mic. working.
>
> It can be that sound card is not being properly detected and you need
> to pass the "model=" parameter to the ALSA config file. Depending on
> the codec and your kernel verion, you can edit the alsa configuration
> file and append to the "options" line a value that matches with your
> sound card hardware settings:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt

I have searched through the list for "HDA-Intel" - but did not find it,
but at the same time I have found corresponding line for my laptop
model, so I've got the module is called

dell-m26

Now, where should I put it? Can You bring here the line example?

My kernel is 3.2.0-3-amd64.

> It can also be that your sound card chipset is too new for your
> kernel or alsa version but that would be strange given that your're
> on wheezy. Was the mic detected before or has never worked?

Opposite, it is old laptop. And the situation w/ mic was ever that way.
I'm just trying again to make it working.



Sthu.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 501f5b41.897d980a.1dc7.637e@mx.google.com">http://lists.debian.org/501f5b41.897d980a.1dc7.637e@mx.google.com
 
Old 08-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 12:50:48 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

>> Run these command and put here the ouput:
>
> OK, here it comes:
>
>> cat /proc/asound/cards
>
> 0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
> HDA ATI SB at 0xc0000000 irq 16
>
>> head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec*
>
> head: cannot open `/proc/asound/card0/codec' for reading: No such file
> or directory
>
> What do I miss here?

I don't know... I just have run the above command from my wheezy
(installed in a netbook) and I got a reply ("codec: IDT 92HD88B1") :-?

Check if there's something of interest in the directory, try with:

ls -la /proc/asound/card[0-9]/*

And also run "aplay -l".

>> It can be that sound card is not being properly detected and you need
>> to pass the "model=" parameter to the ALSA config file. Depending on
>> the codec and your kernel verion, you can edit the alsa configuration
>> file and append to the "options" line a value that matches with your
>> sound card hardware settings:
>>
>> http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt
>
> I have searched through the list for "HDA-Intel" - but did not find it,

Before going to the list of HD Intel codecs and select one, you have
first to know what codec uses your soundcard :-)

> but at the same time I have found corresponding line for my laptop
> model, so I've got the module is called
>
> dell-m26

Oh, good catch, you can try with that but do you really have an "Inspiron
1501"? :-?

> Now, where should I put it? Can You bring here the line example?

This has to be placed in "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf", at the end of
the file add new line similar to this:

options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0 model=dell-m26

After editing the file restart the alsa service or reboot, which is
usually easier.

(if there's already a line starting with "options snd-hda-intel ..." just
append the "model=dell-m26" parameter and keep the rest as is)

> My kernel is 3.2.0-3-amd64.

The most recent kernel version is usually the better for hardware
support :-)

>> It can also be that your sound card chipset is too new for your kernel
>> or alsa version but that would be strange given that your're on wheezy.
>> Was the mic detected before or has never worked?
>
> Opposite, it is old laptop. And the situation w/ mic was ever that way.
> I'm just trying again to make it working.

Mmm... if it was working before the chances that the card is still
supported are higher. It could be just that now it requires some tweaking
or specific settings to make it to work :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jvomjq$qkd$9@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Sthu Deus
 
Default Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

Good time of the day, Camaleón.


Thank You for Your time and answer.
You wrote:

> >> head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec*
> >
> > head: cannot open `/proc/asound/card0/codec' for reading: No such
> > file or directory
> >
> > What do I miss here?
>
> I don't know... I just have run the above command from my wheezy
> (installed in a netbook) and I got a reply ("codec: IDT 92HD88B1") :-?
>
> Check if there's something of interest in the directory, try with:
>
> ls -la /proc/asound/card[0-9]/*

That's what I get:
ls -la /proc/asound/card[0-9]/*
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 /proc/asound/card0/codec#1
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 /proc/asound/card0/id
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 /proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer

/proc/asound/card0/pcm0c:
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 .
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 ..
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 info
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 oss
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 sub0

/proc/asound/card0/pcm0p:
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 .
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 ..
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 info
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 oss
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 sub0

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
Codec: Conexant ID 2bfa
Address: 0
MFG Function Id: 0x2 (unsol 1)
Vendor Id: 0x14f12bfa
Subsystem Id: 0x14f100c3
Revision Id: 0x90000
Modem Function Group: 0x2

Any ideas? )

> And also run "aplay -l".

Oh, it's better:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

That gives us same

dell-m26

module from
<http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt>.

> >> http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt
> >
> > I have searched through the list for "HDA-Intel" - but did not find
> > it,
>
> Before going to the list of HD Intel codecs and select one, you have
> first to know what codec uses your soundcard :-)

OK )

> > but at the same time I have found corresponding line for my laptop
> > model, so I've got the module is called
> >
> > dell-m26
>
> Oh, good catch, you can try with that but do you really have an
> "Inspiron 1501"? :-?

I do! ) I have told it is an old laptop that works very well still.

> > Now, where should I put it? Can You bring here the line example?
>
> This has to be placed in "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf", at the end
> of the file add new line similar to this:
>
> options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0 model=dell-m26

Thank You very much! - What did You check to find out that
"snd-hda-intel" should be specified here? - I understand that
"HDA-Intel" tells about this - but what about exact "snd-hda-intel"
cypher? )

> After editing the file restart the alsa service or reboot, which is
> usually easier.

I have done as You said:

cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
# autoloader aliases
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7
# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd && { /sbin/modprobe
--quiet snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-seq ; } install
snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi &&
{ /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-seq-midi ; : ; } install
snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 &&
{ /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-emu10k1-synth ; : ; }

# Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
options bt87x index=-2
options cx88_alsa index=-2
options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
# Keep snd-pcsp from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-pcsp index=-2
# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-usb-audio index=-2
options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0 model=dell-m26

Then rebooted, but w/o luck:

amixer
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 27 [87%] [-6.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 27 [87%] [-6.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Capabilities: pvolume penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 110 [43%] [-29.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 110 [43%] [-29.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 15
Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [off]
Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Digital',0
Capabilities: cvolume penum
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 120
Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [-30.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [-30.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Mux',0
Capabilities: cvolume
penum Capture channels: Front Left - Front
Right Limits: Capture 0 -
4 Front Left: Capture 0 [0%]
[0.00dB] Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB]

- no mic. nor mic. working. (

> (if there's already a line starting with "options snd-hda-intel ..."
> just append the "model=dell-m26" parameter and keep the rest as is)

No, there was not.

> > My kernel is 3.2.0-3-amd64.
>
> The most recent kernel version is usually the better for hardware
> support :-)

I think the same. )

> > Opposite, it is old laptop. And the situation w/ mic was ever that
> > way. I'm just trying again to make it working.
>
> Mmm... if it was working before the chances that the card is still
> supported are higher. It could be just that now it requires some
> tweaking or specific settings to make it to work :-?

Hmm. I do not think the lap. is too old that the code will be removed
from kernel/ALSA to support the HW. You know at the time laptop was new
and latter - I thought, When will kernel support my mic. ? And You say
it is old. I think it is misconfiguration on ALSA/whatever side that
withheld mic. from working rather than a support issue.

If You will not get borried w/ the thread, I will supply any info
needed in order to solve the mic. problem.

Again. thank You!


Sthu.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 5020cf5b.c40a700a.08ff.2545@mx.google.com">http://lists.debian.org/5020cf5b.c40a700a.08ff.2545@mx.google.com
 
Old 08-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 15:18:31 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

>> >> head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec*
>> >
>> > head: cannot open `/proc/asound/card0/codec' for reading: No such
>> > file or directory
>> >
>> > What do I miss here?
>>
>> I don't know... I just have run the above command from my wheezy
>> (installed in a netbook) and I got a reply ("codec: IDT 92HD88B1") :-?
>>
>> Check if there's something of interest in the directory, try with:
>>
>> ls -la /proc/asound/card[0-9]/*
>
> That's what I get:
> ls -la /proc/asound/card[0-9]/*
> -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
> -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 /proc/asound/card0/codec#1

(...)

Then why the "head" command returned void? :-?

> cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
> Codec: Conexant ID 2bfa

(...)

> Any ideas? )

Not yet :-)

But also run:

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec

Because you seem to have two different codecs listed.

>> And also run "aplay -l".
>
> Oh, it's better:
>
> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
> Subdevices: 0/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> That gives us same
>
> dell-m26

Mmm... Now run, juts to be sure:

arecord -l

>> > but at the same time I have found corresponding line for my laptop
>> > model, so I've got the module is called
>> >
>> > dell-m26
>>
>> Oh, good catch, you can try with that but do you really have an
>> "Inspiron 1501"? :-?
>
> I do! ) I have told it is an old laptop that works very well still.

Okay, okay... let's try then to restore the honour of your oldie laptop.

>> > Now, where should I put it? Can You bring here the line example?
>>
>> This has to be placed in "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf", at the end
>> of the file add new line similar to this:
>>
>> options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0 model=dell-m26
>
> Thank You very much! - What did You check to find out that
> "snd-hda-intel" should be specified here? - I understand that
> "HDA-Intel" tells about this - but what about exact "snd-hda-intel"
> cypher? )

Mmm... that's the usual value for intel HDA chipset (the full list of
available modules are documented here):

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt

(yours is and HDA ATI SB)

>> After editing the file restart the alsa service or reboot, which is
>> usually easier.
>
> I have done as You said:
>
> cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

(...)

> options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0 model=dell-m26
>
> Then rebooted, but w/o luck:

(...)

> Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
> Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
> Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
> Limits: Capture 0 - 15
> Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [off]
> Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [off]

(...)

Wait. I must have missed this line from your very first post, but this
has to be your mic input (this is what I also get from my netbook and I
can from the mixer applet the "mic" is there) :-?

How are you testing your microphone?

> - no mic. nor mic. working. (

Well, you can also try with a different one as this won't hurt:

options snd-hda-intel model=ref

And so on... (remember to reboot or restart alsa service after editing
the file to changes take effect)

>> Mmm... if it was working before the chances that the card is still
>> supported are higher. It could be just that now it requires some
>> tweaking or specific settings to make it to work :-?
>
> Hmm. I do not think the lap. is too old that the code will be removed
> from kernel/ALSA to support the HW.

Neither I do. That would be going very (very) backwards.

> You know at the time laptop was new and latter - I thought, When will
> kernel support my mic. ? And You say it is old. I think it is
> misconfiguration on ALSA/whatever side that withheld mic. from working
> rather than a support issue.

Yup.

> If You will not get borried w/ the thread, I will supply any info needed
> in order to solve the mic. problem.

Bored because of problems... never! That makes things even more
interesting :-)

> Again. thank You!

:-)

Let's see if we can restore your recording capabilities.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jvr8h0$6mk$5@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Sthu Deus
 
Default Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

Good time of the day, Camaleón.


Thank You for Your time and answer, again.
You wrote:

> >> >> head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec*
> >> >
> >> > head: cannot open `/proc/asound/card0/codec' for reading: No such
> >> > file or directory
> >> >
> >> > What do I miss here?
> >>
> >> I don't know... I just have run the above command from my wheezy
> >> (installed in a netbook) and I got a reply ("codec: IDT
> >> 92HD88B1") :-?
> >>
> >> Check if there's something of interest in the directory, try with:
> >>
> >> ls -la /proc/asound/card[0-9]/*
> >
> > That's what I get:
> > ls -la /proc/asound/card[0-9]/*
> > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
> > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 /proc/asound/card0/codec#1
>
> (...)
>
> Then why the "head" command returned void? :-?

May this is the reason?

> > cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
> > Codec: Conexant ID 2bfa
>
> But also run:
>
> cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec

Codec: Conexant ID 2bfa
Codec: SigmaTel STAC9200

$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* |grep -i mic
Pin Default 0x04a11020: [Jack] Mic at Ext Right

Probably, says about connector only?

> Because you seem to have two different codecs listed.

May one for modem, another - sound card?

> >> And also run "aplay -l".
> > **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
> > card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
> > Subdevices: 0/1
> > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

(...)

> > dell-m26
>
> Mmm... Now run, juts to be sure:
>
> arecord -l

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

> > I do! ) I have told it is an old laptop that works very well
> > still.
>
> Okay, okay... let's try then to restore the honour of your oldie
> laptop.

Actually, I never saw it. ) - Only on desktops - w/o any problems.

> > Thank You very much! - What did You check to find out that
> > "snd-hda-intel" should be specified here? - I understand that
> > "HDA-Intel" tells about this - but what about exact "snd-hda-intel"
> > cypher? )
>
> Mmm... that's the usual value for intel HDA chipset (the full list of
> available modules are documented here):
>
> http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt
>
> (yours is and HDA ATI SB)

Oh, thanks again!

> > Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
> > Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
> > Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
> > Limits: Capture 0 - 15
> > Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [off]
> > Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [off]
>
> (...)
>
> Wait. I must have missed this line from your very first post, but
> this has to be your mic input (this is what I also get from my
> netbook and I can from the mixer applet the "mic" is there) :-?

Hmm. On desktops I see exactly word microphone or mic - do not remember
correctly. Then alsa mixer has appropriate handle w/ which I can change
its gain. - Here, on laptop, I miss all this.

> How are you testing your microphone?

Eventually, knocking on microphone gives no any sound in speakers.
Whereas on desktops - it does.

The microphone is working - tested on desktops.

> > - no mic. nor mic. working. (
>
> Well, you can also try with a different one as this won't hurt:
>
> options snd-hda-intel model=ref

> And so on... (remember to reboot or restart alsa service after
> editing the file to changes take effect)

Done, restarted w/

# /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

correct? - But nothing.

> >> Mmm... if it was working before the chances that the card is still
> >> supported are higher. It could be just that now it requires some
> >> tweaking or specific settings to make it to work :-?
> >
> > Hmm. I do not think the lap. is too old that the code will be
> > removed from kernel/ALSA to support the HW.
>
> Neither I do. That would be going very (very) backwards.

OK, thank You! ) - It inspired me!

> > You know at the time laptop was new and latter - I thought, When
> > will kernel support my mic. ? And You say it is old. I think it is
> > misconfiguration on ALSA/whatever side that withheld mic. from
> > working rather than a support issue.
>
> Yup.
>
> > If You will not get borried w/ the thread, I will supply any info
> > needed in order to solve the mic. problem.
>
> Bored because of problems... never! That makes things even more
> interesting :-)

Wow! Great spirit! Thank You for Your help! - No matter what will be
its result!

(..)

Sthu.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 502381e4.046c980a.3b20.0d0c@mx.google.com">http://lists.debian.org/502381e4.046c980a.3b20.0d0c@mx.google.com
 
Old 08-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:24:48 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

>> > That's what I get:
>> > ls -la /proc/asound/card[0-9]/*
>> > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
>> > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 7 14:32 /proc/asound/card0/codec#1
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Then why the "head" command returned void? :-?
>
> May this is the reason?

What do you mean? :-?

The above "head" command should look for whatever files are placed there,
remember we used a glob pattern "*" so any "/proc/asound/card0/
codec_whatever_file" has to be found.

>> But also run:
>>
>> cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
>
> Codec: Conexant ID 2bfa
> Codec: SigmaTel STAC9200
>
> $ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* |grep -i mic
> Pin Default 0x04a11020: [Jack] Mic at Ext Right
>
> Probably, says about connector only?

So it seems.

>> Because you seem to have two different codecs listed.
>
> May one for modem, another - sound card?

Yes, that makes sense. Conexant is a well-known manufacturer for embedded
modem chipsets.

>> Mmm... Now run, juts to be sure:
>>
>> arecord -l
>
> **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices **** card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB],
> device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Good. I wanted to verify the STAC92xx chipset was selected as the default
recording chipset instead the other.

>> Okay, okay... let's try then to restore the honour of your oldie
>> laptop.
>
> Actually, I never saw it. ) - Only on desktops - w/o any problems.

Shhh! Be quiet, your netbook can be listening and won't like seeing
you're in doubt about it :-)

>> Wait. I must have missed this line from your very first post, but this
>> has to be your mic input (this is what I also get from my netbook and I
>> can from the mixer applet the "mic" is there) :-?
>
> Hmm. On desktops I see exactly word microphone or mic - do not remember
> correctly. Then alsa mixer has appropriate handle w/ which I can change
> its gain. - Here, on laptop, I miss all this.

Yes, I also see a "Mic" device in desktops but not in my netbook (and you
know what? My netbook also has a STAC92xx chipset, I didn't notice until
now :-P). I mean, this can be normal and not an error per se. Of course,
despite not being displayed, the microphone has to be visible/
controllable from the sound applet and has work :-)

And now I realized I share the same chipset as yours and we also share
the same kernel version, I can run more tests from my side. Run "dmesg |
grep -i mic", I can see a line referencing the microphone device, check
if you also have it.

>> How are you testing your microphone?
>
> Eventually, knocking on microphone gives no any sound in speakers.
> Whereas on desktops - it does.
>
> The microphone is working - tested on desktops.

Okay, have you checked for the input (mic) volume levels? What kind sound
controller are you using (gnome/kde volume applet...)? Also, test with
the usual command line utility to test the mic:

arecord -d 10 /tmp/mic.wav

The above will record from your mic input for 10 seconds and save the
sample result at "/tpm/mic.wav" which you will be able to play with:

aplay /tmp/mic.wav

>> Well, you can also try with a different one as this won't hurt:
>>
>> options snd-hda-intel model=ref
>
>> And so on... (remember to reboot or restart alsa service after editing
>> the file to changes take effect)
>
> Done, restarted w/
>
> # /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart
>
> correct? - But nothing.

Mmm... maybe this indicates that specifying a model by hand is not needed
and the problem is elsewhere :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/k00k7a$t9u$10@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 08-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Sthu Deus
 
Default Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

Good time of the day, Camaleón.


Thank You for Your time and answer.
You wrote:

> >> Then why the "head" command returned void? :-?
> >
> > May this is the reason?
>
> What do you mean? :-?

That "the "head" command returned void" - therefore no microphone?

(..)

> > Actually, I never saw it. ) - Only on desktops - w/o any problems.
>
> Shhh! Be quiet, your netbook can be listening and won't like seeing
> you're in doubt about it :-)

No, it doesn't here - the mic. does not function! I can say
anything about for the present time. )

> >> Wait. I must have missed this line from your very first post, but
> >> this has to be your mic input (this is what I also get from my
> >> netbook and I can from the mixer applet the "mic" is there) :-?
> >
> > Hmm. On desktops I see exactly word microphone or mic - do not
> > remember correctly. Then alsa mixer has appropriate handle w/ which
> > I can change its gain. - Here, on laptop, I miss all this.
>
> Yes, I also see a "Mic" device in desktops but not in my netbook (and
> you know what? My netbook also has a STAC92xx chipset, I didn't
> notice until now :-P). I mean, this can be normal and not an error
> per se. Of course, despite not being displayed, the microphone has to
> be visible/ controllable from the sound applet and has work :-)

And w/ this I have problem. I use console only tool - therefore I use
ALSA mixer, and my mic refuses to work unless in it is the built-in
(ROM?) testing program. May it worked under windoze - but I had never
such a one on the lap.

Does Your mic. work?!

> And now I realized I share the same chipset as yours and we also
> share the same kernel version, I can run more tests from my side. Run
> "dmesg | grep -i mic", I can see a line referencing the microphone
> device, check if you also have it.

Oh! Me too!

[ 8.544369] [drm] Loading R300 Microcode
[ 9.441402] input: HDA ATI SB Mic
as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input13 [ 9.441589]
input: HDA ATI SB Mic
as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input14 [ 9.441751]
input: HDA ATI SB Mic
as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input15 [ 9632.081262]
usb 1-7.1: Manufacturer: JMicron [16671.093223] usb 1-7.1:
Manufacturer: JMicron

So, how to use it ?!!! I got excited! )

(..)

> Okay, have you checked for the input (mic) volume levels? What kind
> sound controller are you using (gnome/kde volume applet...)? Also,
> test with the usual command line utility to test the mic:

Of course. I just checked now and to my amasement I saw additional
channels appeared. So, I have turned on all of them w/ maximum gain:

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Capabilities: pvolume penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Mono
Capture channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Default PCM',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 15
Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]
Front Right: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Digital',0
Capabilities: cvolume penum
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 120
Front Left: Capture 120 [100%] [30.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 120 [100%] [30.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
Capabilities: cenum
Items: 'Front Mic' 'Rear Mic' 'Line'
Item0: 'Rear Mic'
Simple mixer control 'Mux',0
Capabilities: cvolume penum
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 4
Front Left: Capture 4 [100%] [40.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 4 [100%] [40.00dB]

Yet, no sound from the mic.

> arecord -d 10 /tmp/mic.wav

This command hangs - I think it can not use/open mic. device if any.

(..)


Sthu.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 50264439.046c980a.4032.0d48@mx.google.com">http://lists.debian.org/50264439.046c980a.4032.0d48@mx.google.com
 
Old 08-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 18:38:29 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> You wrote:
>
>> >> Then why the "head" command returned void? :-?
>> >
>> > May this is the reason?
>>
>> What do you mean? :-?
>
> That "the "head" command returned void" - therefore no microphone?

Well, it returned "nothing" but there were indeed two devices, so no
"void" at all. That was my concern, that "head" command was "lying" us :-)

> (..)
>
>> > Actually, I never saw it. ) - Only on desktops - w/o any problems.
>>
>> Shhh! Be quiet, your netbook can be listening and won't like seeing
>> you're in doubt about it :-)
>
> No, it doesn't here - the mic. does not function! I can say anything
> about for the present time. )

There's still the modem mic!! :-P

>> Yes, I also see a "Mic" device in desktops but not in my netbook (and
>> you know what? My netbook also has a STAC92xx chipset, I didn't notice
>> until now :-P). I mean, this can be normal and not an error per se. Of
>> course, despite not being displayed, the microphone has to be visible/
>> controllable from the sound applet and has work :-)
>
> And w/ this I have problem. I use console only tool - therefore I use
> ALSA mixer, and my mic refuses to work unless in it is the built-in
> (ROM?) testing program. May it worked under windoze - but I had never
> such a one on the lap.

Mmm... is it possible that you can you load a LiveCD (choose whatever you
prefer, it does not have to be Debian or Debian related) and check if the
microphone is present there? I mean, that you can controll it from the
sound applet.

> Does Your mic. work?!

Good question as I don't use it so much :-). Hold on, going to test it...

Yes, it works. I have launched the gnome-sound-recorder application and
from there I can only select one device ("master") from where to get the
input. I start recording and after stopping and playing I can hear
exactly the recorded sample.

Let's see how it goes with the "arecord" utility. Hold on...

Yup, it also works fine.

Hint: when you're in alsamixer, press F6 to be sure you are controlling
the right card (Intel HDA) in the event there is more than one listed.
Also, from here, press F4 to put at 100% the Capture swicth.

>> And now I realized I share the same chipset as yours and we also share
>> the same kernel version, I can run more tests from my side. Run "dmesg
>> | grep -i mic", I can see a line referencing the microphone device,
>> check if you also have it.
>
> Oh! Me too!
>
(...)
> [ 9.441402] input: HDA ATI SB Mic as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input13
> [ 9.441589] input: HDA ATI SB Mic as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input14
> [ 9.441751] input: HDA ATI SB Mic as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input15
(...)

> So, how to use it ?!!! I got excited! )

Three (3) inputs? I only get one. I wonder if the mess can be from here :-?

>> Okay, have you checked for the input (mic) volume levels? What kind
>> sound controller are you using (gnome/kde volume applet...)? Also, test
>> with the usual command line utility to test the mic:
>
> Of course. I just checked now and to my amasement I saw additional
> channels appeared.

Uh? Magic strikes back? :-)

> So, I have turned on all of them w/ maximum gain:

(...)

> Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
> Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined penum
> Playback channels: Mono
> Capture channels: Mono
> Mono: Playback [on] Capture [off]

Capture is "off".

> Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
> Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
> Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
> Limits: Capture 0 - 15
> Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]
> Front Right: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]

Here there's a difference with mine: I have both (front left/right)
turned [on].

> Simple mixer control 'Digital',0
> Capabilities: cvolume penum
> Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
> Limits: Capture 0 - 120
> Front Left: Capture 120 [100%] [30.00dB]
> Front Right: Capture 120 [100%] [30.00dB]
> Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
> Capabilities: cenum
> Items: 'Front Mic' 'Rear Mic' 'Line'
> Item0: 'Rear Mic'
> Simple mixer control 'Mux',0
> Capabilities: cvolume penum
> Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
> Limits: Capture 0 - 4
> Front Left: Capture 4 [100%] [40.00dB]
> Front Right: Capture 4 [100%] [40.00dB]

For these ones there's no info about if they're on/off.

> Yet, no sound from the mic.
>
>> arecord -d 10 /tmp/mic.wav
>
> This command hangs - I think it can not use/open mic. device if any.

Mmm... that's curious. If the mic is not detected (not your case) or not enabled
(this seems to be your problem) I would have expected an error from arecord but
not to hang :-?

While Googling around, I found this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#No_Microphone_In put

You can try what it says, that is:

***
Many Dell laptops need "-dmic" to be appended to the model name in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6-dmic
***

Yes, not very orthodox, but you seem to have a "new" digital mic detected, so
who knows... Also, take a look into ALSA debigging tips for recording:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/SoundcardTesting

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/k08lgp$fer$17@dough.gmane.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:49 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org