Old 08-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Sthu Deus

Default Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

Good time of the day, Camaleón.

Thank You for Your time and answer, again!
You wrote:

(..)

> > And w/ this I have problem. I use console only tool - therefore I
> > use ALSA mixer, and my mic refuses to work unless in it is the
> > built-in (ROM?) testing program. May it worked under windoze - but
> > I had never such a one on the lap.
>
> Mmm... is it possible that you can you load a LiveCD (choose whatever
> you prefer, it does not have to be Debian or Debian related) and
> check if the microphone is present there? I mean, that you can
> controll it from the sound applet.

OK. I will try and write back, latter.

> > Does Your mic. work?!
>
> Good question as I don't use it so much :-). Hold on, going to test
> it...
>
> Yes, it works. I have launched the gnome-sound-recorder application
> and from there I can only select one device ("master") from where to
> get the input. I start recording and after stopping and playing I can
> hear exactly the recorded sample.
>
> Let's see how it goes with the "arecord" utility. Hold on...
>
> Yup, it also works fine.

Lucky person! )

> Hint: when you're in alsamixer, press F6 to be sure you are
> controlling the right card (Intel HDA) in the event there is more
> than one listed. Also, from here, press F4 to put at 100% the Capture
> swicth.

That I have done already...

> >> And now I realized I share the same chipset as yours and we also
> >> share the same kernel version, I can run more tests from my side.
> >> Run "dmesg | grep -i mic", I can see a line referencing the
> >> microphone device, check if you also have it.
> >
> > Oh! Me too!
> >
> (...)
> > [ 9.441402] input: HDA ATI SB Mic
> > as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input13
> > [ 9.441589] input: HDA ATI SB Mic
> > as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input14
> > [ 9.441751] input: HDA ATI SB Mic
> > as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input15
> (...)
>
> > So, how to use it ?!!! I got excited! )
>
> Three (3) inputs? I only get one. I wonder if the mess can be from
> here :-?

May UDEV works wrong? In ALSA mixer I have 3 mic.s: Line, Rear, Front -
switched every one - no sound in speakers.

> >> Okay, have you checked for the input (mic) volume levels? What kind
> >> sound controller are you using (gnome/kde volume applet...)? Also,
> >> test with the usual command line utility to test the mic:
> >
> > Of course. I just checked now and to my amasement I saw additional
> > channels appeared.
>
> Uh? Magic strikes back? :-)

I suppose it came because we changed model to ref, may. On changing
back - I will see if it is still there.

> > Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
> > Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined penum
> > Playback channels: Mono
> > Capture channels: Mono
> > Mono: Playback [on] Capture [off]
>
> Capture is "off".
>
> > Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
> > Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
> > Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
> > Limits: Capture 0 - 15
> > Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]
> > Front Right: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]
>
> Here there's a difference with mine: I have both (front left/right)
> turned [on].

I think this is the reason. - I have turned all to maximum and unmutted
in ALSA mixer (capture screen), whereas amixer still shows.

Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 15
Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]
Front Right: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]

So. volume 100%, but both channels are off!
May, You have an idea how to turn it on?

> > Simple mixer control 'Digital',0
> > Capabilities: cvolume penum
> > Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
> > Limits: Capture 0 - 120
> > Front Left: Capture 120 [100%] [30.00dB]
> > Front Right: Capture 120 [100%] [30.00dB]
> > Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
> > Capabilities: cenum
> > Items: 'Front Mic' 'Rear Mic' 'Line'
> > Item0: 'Rear Mic'
> > Simple mixer control 'Mux',0
> > Capabilities: cvolume penum
> > Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
> > Limits: Capture 0 - 4
> > Front Left: Capture 4 [100%] [40.00dB]
> > Front Right: Capture 4 [100%] [40.00dB]
>
> For these ones there's no info about if they're on/off.

And I have no idea what it means. Just have turned on everything.

> > Yet, no sound from the mic.
> >
> >> arecord -d 10 /tmp/mic.wav
> >
> > This command hangs - I think it can not use/open mic. device if any.
>
> Mmm... that's curious. If the mic is not detected (not your case) or
> not enabled (this seems to be your problem) I would have expected an
> error from arecord but not to hang :-?
>
> While Googling around, I found this:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#No_Microphone_In put
>
> You can try what it says, that is:
>
> ***
> Many Dell laptops need "-dmic" to be appended to the model name
> in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf:
>
> options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6-dmic
> ***

I did try so and rebooted. Result is no mic and some errors at boot
time - but I have sound, still.

By the way, extra channels gone. - I tried then different parameters
for ALSA modules and restarted alsa-utils each time - but it did not
appear. So, I suppose at boot time something else changes.

> Yes, not very orthodox, but you seem to have a "new" digital mic
> detected, so who knows... Also, take a look into ALSA debigging tips
> for recording:
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/SoundcardTesting

Alright. Thank You for Your time and answers, Camaleón.

I will read those and give a try. If no more ideas, I think we can
finish here.

Sthu.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 21:24:08 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

(removing some stuff)

>> > Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
>> > Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
>> > Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right Limits: Capture 0 - 15
>> > Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off] Front Right: Capture
>> > 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]
>>
>> Here there's a difference with mine: I have both (front left/right)
>> turned [on].
>
> I think this is the reason. - I have turned all to maximum and unmutted
> in ALSA mixer (capture screen), whereas amixer still shows.
>
> Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
> Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
> Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right Limits: Capture 0 - 15
> Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off] Front Right: Capture 15
> [100%] [22.50dB] [off]
>
> So. volume 100%, but both channels are off! May, You have an idea how to
> turn it on?

(...)

I don't know how to engage your Capture ports *but* I can tell you how I
can turn off mines on the fly: by opening the GNOME applet sound mixer
and moving the "Microphone" slide to "Off" :-)

So I guess that there has to be a tool to do this from command line. Let
me do some search... got it:

amixer set Capture cap → will toggle on Capture ports (L/R)
amixer set Capture nocap → will toggle off Capture ports (L/R)

>> options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6-dmic
>
> I did try so and rebooted. Result is no mic and some errors at boot time
> - but I have sound, still.
>
> By the way, extra channels gone. - I tried then different parameters for
> ALSA modules and restarted alsa-utils each time - but it did not appear.
> So, I suppose at boot time something else changes.

Okay, then you can leave the alsa configuration file untouched as it was
by default as this seems not to be the problem here.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón