Old 08-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Teemu Likonen

Default Debian multimedia repository (was: Shockwave Flash)

Gary Dale [2012-08-01 13:55:09 -0400] wrote:

> Agreed. I would also advise people to stay away from
> debian-multimedia. It's packages are incompatible with standard Debian
> packages in many cases. [...] debian-multimedia can be too much of a
> headache.

It has worked fine the seven or eight years I've been using it. So, it
depends. Different Debian releases and different packages vary so much
that I think we can't say that Debian multimedia is good or bad as a
whole. Instead we could warn users that occasionally there are
incompatible packages.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Titanus Eramius

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 21:20:59 +0300
Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> Gary Dale [2012-08-01 13:55:09 -0400] wrote:
>
> > Agreed. I would also advise people to stay away from
> > debian-multimedia. It's packages are incompatible with standard
> > Debian packages in many cases. [...] debian-multimedia can be too
> > much of a headache.
>
> It has worked fine the seven or eight years I've been using it. So, it
> depends. Different Debian releases and different packages vary so much
> that I think we can't say that Debian multimedia is good or bad as a
> whole. Instead we could warn users that occasionally there are
> incompatible packages.

My 2 cents on this is, that once packages is installed from Debian
Multimedia it's very hard to go back to stable. But if one keeps using
Debian Multimedia there are rarely any problems.

Cheers

Old 08-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Arun Khan

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 12:48 AM, Titanus Eramius <titanus@aptget.dk> wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 21:20:59 +0300
> Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> Gary Dale [2012-08-01 13:55:09 -0400] wrote:
>>
>> > Agreed. I would also advise people to stay away from
>> > debian-multimedia. It's packages are incompatible with standard
>> > Debian packages in many cases. [...] debian-multimedia can be too
>> > much of a headache.
>>
>> It has worked fine the seven or eight years I've been using it. So, it
>> depends. Different Debian releases and different packages vary so much
>> that I think we can't say that Debian multimedia is good or bad as a
>> whole. Instead we could warn users that occasionally there are
>> incompatible packages.
>>

> My 2 cents on this is, that once packages is installed from Debian
> Multimedia it's very hard to go back to stable. But if one keeps using
> Debian Multimedia there are rarely any problems.

My recent experience Debian MM repo has been different.

Around May/June 2011, I had installed Debian 6.0.2 (amd64) with VLC
(Deb repo) + MythTV (Deb MM repo). VLC and MythTV worked fine side
by side. No issues.

End of July/2012, I installed Debain 6.0.5 (amd64) with VLC (Deb
repo). VLC worked fine. I then installed MythTV from the Deb MM
repo (squeeze/updates), expecting to get a compatible package with
6.0.5..

After MythTV installation, VLC stopped working. After searching
found these discussions to be applicable to my problem:
<http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/FAQ#Common_issues>
<http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=70719&f=13>.

I need both VLC and MythTV to work side by side and it was no longer
possible with packages pulled in from the Debian MM repo.

I ended up with a fresh 6.0.5 install with VLC; I then compiled
MythTV from source. Most dependencies were resolved by packages from
the Debian repo except for lame. I compiled lame from source and
MythTV built fine. Now MythTV from source and VLC from Debian repo
are both working fine.

With my experience, I will say use Debian MM with caution; at least
for Squeeze amd64.

My two cents. YMMV

--
Arun Khan
"As a layman, I would say we have it, but as a scientist I have to

Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Mittwoch, 1. August 2012 schrieb Teemu Likonen:
> Gary Dale [2012-08-01 13:55:09 -0400] wrote:
> > Agreed. I would also advise people to stay away from
> > debian-multimedia. It's packages are incompatible with standard
> > Debian packages in many cases. [...] debian-multimedia can be too
> > much of a headache.
>
> It has worked fine the seven or eight years I've been using it. So, it
> depends. Different Debian releases and different packages vary so much
> that I think we can't say that Debian multimedia is good or bad as a
> whole. Instead we could warn users that occasionally there are
> incompatible packages.

I have had several apt-get / aptitude session to get things straight in
order to be able a package from the official debian repository while
packages from the debian-multimedia reposity have been installed.

So I use packages from that repository sparely. And have this to avoid
further trouble:

martin@merkaba:~> cat /etc/apt/preferences
[…]
Explanation: Manchmal Konflikte mit offiziellen Paketquellen, 15.6.2011
Package: *
Pin: release o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages
Pin-Priority: 200
[…]

The german translates to: "Sometimes conflicts with official package
repositories".

Ciao,