Old 08-01-2012, 12:06 AM
David Christensen

Default Testing lightdm not remembering session

debian-user:

I installed Debian Testing amd64 with the Debian desktop environment. I
then installed task-xfce-desktop, including lightdm and setting lightdm
as the default desktop manager.

When I login to an xfce desktop, lightdm is running and gdm is not:

2012-07-31 17:01:54 root@i72600s ~
# ps -A | grep lightdm
2364 ? 00:00:00 lightdm
6530 ? 00:00:00 lightdm

2012-07-31 17:01:58 root@i72600s ~
# ps -A | grep gdm

When I log out, leaving the check box "Save session for future login"
checked", and then login again leaving the "Default Xsession" drop-down
alone, I am logged in to a Gnome desktop, in spite of the contents of
~/.dmrc:

2012-07-31 17:04:01 dpchrist@i72600s ~
$ cat .dmrc

[Desktop]
Session=xfce

Any suggestions?

TIA,

David

Archive: 501872EB.2080401@holgerdanske.com">http://lists.debian.org/501872EB.2080401@holgerdanske.com

Old 08-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 17:06:03 -0700, David Christensen wrote:

> I installed Debian Testing amd64 with the Debian desktop environment. I
> then installed task-xfce-desktop, including lightdm and setting lightdm
> as the default desktop manager.

(...)

> When I log out, leaving the check box "Save session for future login"
> checked", and then login again leaving the "Default Xsession" drop-down
> alone, I am logged in to a Gnome desktop, in spite of the contents of
> ~/.dmrc:
>
> 2012-07-31 17:04:01 dpchrist@i72600s ~ $ cat .dmrc
>
> [Desktop]
> Session=xfce

So in brief, the problem you experiment is that the selected session is not
saved as the default from lightdm, correct?

> Any suggestions?

A couple of hints:

1/ Try with any of these options (classic method/new method):

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch07.en.html#_customizing_the_x_session_classic_me thod

2/ Read the comments and suggested steps listed here:

And you may also find useful these ones:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/62833/how-do-i-change-the-default-session-for-when-using-auto-logins
http://wiki.debian.org/LightDM

Greetings,

--