Old 07-31-2012, 09:08 PM
hvw59601

Default slow hibernate after upgrade

Hi,

After wheezy dist-upgrade desktop hibernate is twice as slow as before.

It is not drive related because it also happens when I move the swap
space to another drive.

The kernel was upgraded in this upgrade among many other things.

If I stop X before hibernating the speed is as before.

Anyone have suggestion on how to get around this?

Hugo

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jv9hfr$996$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 08-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Vincent Lefevre

On 2012-07-31 16:08:12 -0500, hvw59601 wrote:
> After wheezy dist-upgrade desktop hibernate is twice as slow as before.

I've also found that putting the by Debian/unstable laptop into sleep
with Fn+F1 takes much longer than before. But this is more several
dozens of seconds vs a few seconds in the past.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:17 PM
hvw59601

After wheezy dist-upgrade desktop hibernate is twice as slow as before.

I've also found that putting the by Debian/unstable laptop into sleep
with Fn+F1 takes much longer than before. But this is more several
dozens of seconds vs a few seconds in the past.

It now takes 40 secs. to hibernate about 400.000 pages, before it took
about 15 secs. But wakeup is still fast: 12 secs.

But why does this happen? And how to circumvent it?

Hugo

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jvba9e$svo$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 08-02-2012, 04:10 PM
hvw59601

After wheezy dist-upgrade desktop hibernate is twice as slow as before.

I've also found that putting the by Debian/unstable laptop into sleep
with Fn+F1 takes much longer than before. But this is more several
dozens of seconds vs a few seconds in the past.

It now takes 40 secs. to hibernate about 400.000 pages, before it took
about 15 secs. But wakeup is still fast: 12 secs.

But why does this happen? And how to circumvent it?

When I pin linux-image-amd64 it does not happen so it is the wheezy
upgrade to linux-image-3.2.0-3-amd64 that does it, but is it a feature
or a bug?

Hugo

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jve8p0$5e3$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 08-03-2012, 05:14 PM
hvw59601

hvw59601 wrote:

After wheezy dist-upgrade desktop hibernate is twice as slow as before.

I've also found that putting the by Debian/unstable laptop into sleep
with Fn+F1 takes much longer than before. But this is more several
dozens of seconds vs a few seconds in the past.

It now takes 40 secs. to hibernate about 400.000 pages, before it took
about 15 secs. But wakeup is still fast: 12 secs.

But why does this happen? And how to circumvent it?

When I pin linux-image-amd64 it does not happen so it is the wheezy
upgrade to linux-image-3.2.0-3-amd64 that does it, but is it a feature
or a bug?

In any case submitted it as a bug:

Hugo

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jvh0sn$5ia$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 08-04-2012, 03:03 AM
Vincent Lefevre

On 2012-08-01 02:40:26 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2012-07-31 16:08:12 -0500, hvw59601 wrote:
> > After wheezy dist-upgrade desktop hibernate is twice as slow as before.
>
> I've also found that putting the by Debian/unstable laptop into sleep
> with Fn+F1 takes much longer than before. But this is more several
> dozens of seconds vs a few seconds in the past.

I can't reproduce the problem, even with the same kernel. I think that
the only difference is that I have an Ethernet cable plugged in. I'll
have to do more tests, with and without the Ethernet cable...

Old 08-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Vincent Lefevre

On 2012-08-04 05:03:01 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2012-08-01 02:40:26 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > On 2012-07-31 16:08:12 -0500, hvw59601 wrote:
> > > After wheezy dist-upgrade desktop hibernate is twice as slow as before.
> >
> > I've also found that putting the by Debian/unstable laptop into sleep
> > with Fn+F1 takes much longer than before. But this is more several
> > dozens of seconds vs a few seconds in the past.
>
> I can't reproduce the problem, even with the same kernel. I think that
> the only difference is that I have an Ethernet cable plugged in. I'll
> have to do more tests, with and without the Ethernet cable...

Indeed the problem seems to occur only without the Ethernet cable.
And this is not due to the kernel, but to wicd:

It tries to put wlan0 down (probably in some wrong way), even though
is isn't up.