Old 07-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Titanus Eramius

Default Install and setup of a mailserver

Hello good folks of Debian

Together with 3 other admins I'm in the process of moving a
Danish forum for Linux to a VPS since standard hosting is becomming to
slow. The VPS (offcourse) runs Debian stable, and the last task which
needs doing is getting a mailserver to work.

It's primary function will be to serve the phpBB forum and in some
small degree the staff of the forum, but only in relation to the forum,
so we only need something like 15 - 20 adresses and some aliases (abuse,
contact etc).

But to be honest we are all stunned at the complexity and have failed
once. This is therefore the second go at this, and we hoped for some
help this time around

What we would like is a server running RoundCube as webmail, Dovecot as
IMAP/POP3 and Postfix as MTA with encryption and antispam of some sorts.
We are more than open to suggetions on what programs to use, but would
preferre it if RoundCube would remian since some of us knows it. We are
also considering PostFixAdmin.

The rest of the criteria is simple:
* Program/s must be in stable repo
* Should be as easy as possible to set up and maintain

We already have a complete LAMP-installation for the forum, so it would
be best if the solution could use apache2, MySQL and PHP5.

Some of the questions that comes to mind when working with this is what
kind of users is best (read easy and safe) to use (system users or
virtual users in the databse)?

Also, is there any complete solutions in the stable repo we could use,
or is it best to use Postfix, Dovecot and so on?

And lastly, how does one test the mailserver without a domain name or MX
record? For obvius reasons we can't move the domain name before the VPS
works.

Any comments on this will be a great help.
Cheers, tit