Old 07-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Sven Joachim

Default Installing 3.2 kernel

On 2012-07-30 18:27 +0200, Gary wrote:

> Sven Joachim wrote:
>
> On 2012-07-29 21:38 +0200, Gary wrote:
>
>> > Still confused why the wireless doesn't work.
>>
>> It's not supported by the 2.6.32 kernel.* Installing a 3.2 kernel and
>> firmware-ralink from squeeze-backports should make it work.
>
> I'm guessing this is a "get source and compile" jobby.

No, squeeze-backports has binary packages (linux-image-3.2*) that you
can just install.

Cheers,
Sven

Old 07-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Gary

On 2012-07-30 18:27 +0200, Gary wrote:
> > I'm guessing this is a "get source and compile" jobby.
>
> No, squeeze-backports has binary packages (linux-image-3.2*) that you
> can just install.

Ooh! That's nice! Thanks!

Old 07-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Gary

Sven Joachim wrote:
>*On 2012-07-30 18:27 +0200, Gary wrote:
>*> Sven Joachim wrote:
>*> On 2012-07-29 21:38 +0200, Gary wrote:
>*>
>*>> > Still confused why the wireless doesn't work.
>*>>
>*>> It's not supported by the 2.6.32 kernel.* Installing a 3.2 kernel and
>*>> firmware-ralink from squeeze-backports should make it work.
>*>
>*> I'm guessing this is a "get source and compile" jobby.
>*
>*No, squeeze-backports has binary packages (linux-image-3.2*) that you
>*can just install.

That didn't go well

I installed the packages, and then the one that that process complained was missing/out of date (our old friend the realtek package). Restarted. After selecting one of the 3.2 kernel options, the computer effectively froze, with lines all over the screen. So badly I had to pull the plug

Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Keith McKenzie

On 30 July 2012 19:43, Gary <listgj-deb@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Sven Joachim wrote:
>> On 2012-07-30 18:27 +0200, Gary wrote:
[...]
> That didn't go well
>
> I installed the packages, and then the one that that process complained was missing/out of date (our old friend the realtek package). Restarted. After selecting one of the 3.2 kernel options, the computer effectively froze, with lines all over the screen. So badly I had to pull the plug

Did you try your old kernel with the new firmware installed?
(That is what I do.)

--
Sent from FOSS (Free Open Source Software)
Debian GNU/Linux

Old 07-31-2012, 09:14 AM
Gary

Keith McKenzie wrote:

> On 30 July 2012 19:43, Gary <listgj-deb@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > I installed the packages, and then the one that that process complained was missing/out of date (our old friend the realtek package). Restarted. After selecting one of the 3.2 kernel options, the computer effectively froze, with lines all over the screen. So badly I had to pull the plug
> >

> Did you try your old kernel with the new firmware installed?
> (That is what I do.)

Well that still works in that I have a running system, but the wifi doesn't work. The firmware is not for the wifi card as I previously thought, it's for the ethernet card.

Oh, when starting using the 3.2 kernel and the realtek firmware, the light on the wifi button on the keyboard was flashing like crazy. At least there are signs of life from that when I use 3.2. Shame the rest of the computer won't play along!

Old 07-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Brian

On Mon 30 Jul 2012 at 19:43:25 +0100, Gary wrote:

> Sven Joachim wrote:
> >*On 2012-07-30 18:27 +0200, Gary wrote:
> >*> Sven Joachim wrote:
> >*> On 2012-07-29 21:38 +0200, Gary wrote:
> >*>
> >*>> > Still confused why the wireless doesn't work.
> >*>>
> >*>> It's not supported by the 2.6.32 kernel.* Installing a 3.2 kernel and
> >*>> firmware-ralink from squeeze-backports should make it work.
> >*>
> >*> I'm guessing this is a "get source and compile" jobby.
> >*
> >*No, squeeze-backports has binary packages (linux-image-3.2*) that you
> >*can just install.
>

> That didn't go well

It might not be a bad idea to detail what didn't go well. How you went
about getting the kernel and firmware-ralink packages, commands used,
which kernel etc.

> I installed the packages, and then the one that that process
> complained was missing/out of date (our old friend the realtek
> package). Restarted. After selecting one of the 3.2 kernel options,
> the computer effectively froze, with lines all over the screen. So
> badly I had to pull the plug

Any progress here?

Old 08-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Gary

Brian wrote:

> On Mon 30 Jul 2012 at 19:43:25 +0100, Gary wrote:
>
> > Sven Joachim wrote:

> > >*No, squeeze-backports has binary packages (linux-image-3.2*) that you
> > >*can just install.
> >

> > That didn't go well
>
> It might not be a bad idea to detail what didn't go well. How you went
> about getting the kernel and firmware-ralink packages, commands used,
> which kernel etc.
>
> > I installed the packages, and then the one that that process
> > complained was missing/out of date (our old friend the realtek
> > package). Restarted. After selecting one of the 3.2 kernel options,
> > the computer effectively froze, with lines all over the screen. So
> > badly I had to pull the plug
>
> Any progress here?

As mentioned, I installed the binary packages. Essentially I added
http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports to the software
sources, setting Dist to squeeze-backports and Components to main &
non-free. Then I performed
* apt-get -t squeeze-backports install linux-image-3.2
and
* apt-get -t squeeze-backports install firmware-realtek

They seemed to go okay but the system doesn't start with the new
kernels - on startup it gets part way through before covering the
screen with horizontal lines and seems to hang.

The kernel is 3.2.0-0.bpo.2-rt-amd64.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:12 PM
"Selim T. Erdogan"

Gary, 4.08.2012:
> Brian wrote:

> > > That didn't go well
> >
> > It might not be a bad idea to detail what didn't go well. How you went
> > about getting the kernel and firmware-ralink packages, commands used,
> > which kernel etc.
> >
> > > I installed the packages, and then the one that that process
> > > complained was missing/out of date (our old friend the realtek
> > > package). Restarted. After selecting one of the 3.2 kernel options,
> > > the computer effectively froze, with lines all over the screen. So
> > > badly I had to pull the plug
> >
> > Any progress here?
>
> As mentioned, I installed the binary packages. Essentially I added
> http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports to the software
> sources, setting Dist to squeeze-backports and Components to main &
> non-free. Then I performed
> * apt-get -t squeeze-backports install linux-image-3.2
> and
> * apt-get -t squeeze-backports install firmware-realtek
>
> They seemed to go okay but the system doesn't start with the new
> kernels - on startup it gets part way through before covering the
> screen with horizontal lines and seems to hang.
>
> The kernel is 3.2.0-0.bpo.2-rt-amd64.
^^
Don't know if it matters but "rt" above is the realtime kernel. You
might want to try with one of the other 3.2 kernels on backports to see
if it helps.