Old 04-13-2008, 02:48 AM
" Kevin C. Redden"

Default Odd problem - Windows not seeing files from linux on a FAT32 partition?

Hi folks: Ran into a really bizare problem. I'm working on it in the
usenet but thought you may be able to help too.

I've got Debian 4+KDE fully installed on a PATA drive, Win2k/SP4 is my
Windows on SATA drives. I've got a partition of 640 megs on the PATA
drive, formatted in FAT32 that I use as a bridge. A way of sharing files
between Linux and Windows.

I've set up my FSTAB file the following way:

#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb2 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hdb6 /home ext3 defaults 0 2
/dev/hdb5 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hda /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,auto 0 0

# linux bridge

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/bridge vfat rw,auto,user,exec,sync,utf8,umask=0,gid=users 0 1

--
Now the problem is, I can see, access and save any file from a *normal*
linux account without a problem. However if I try to get to them from

Now if I save a file *from* Windows on that partition, linux has no
problems.

While in linux, I saved the fstab file onto a flash drive, using the SU
account, and it's showing up in Windows. But it seems that if I save a
file from Linux to Windows, using SU it works fine. This is the first
time I've tried to solve the R/W problem in linux using a *normal*
account, and running into all sorts of problems. Can you help?

- Kc

--
Kevin C. Redden
kredden@maysvilleky.net

**
If an attachment is present, all attachments are automatically scanned
by AVAST AV. Updated daily. Also all attachments are listed below. If an
attachment isn't listed below, or shows any deviation, please save it,
and contact us. Do NOT open the attachment, if there is any doubt. Note
that MS Outlook Express may not show the true extension names.

file #1:
Size:
True extension:

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080404-0, 04/04/2008
Tested on: 4/12/2008 10:48:49 PM

Old 04-13-2008, 06:36 AM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 10:48:48PM -0400, Kevin C. Redden wrote:
> /dev/hdb1 /mnt/bridge vfat rw,auto,user,exec,sync,utf8,umask=0,gid=users 0 1
> I can see, access and save any file from a *normal*
> linux account without a problem. However if I try to get to them from
> Windows, they don't show up.
> Now if I save a file *from* Windows on that partition, linux has no
> problems.

I would check the vfat filesystem on hdb1 both from linux (dosftools)
and from windows. And then check again. And then I would try various
kinds of (possibly decent) filemanagers in windows instead of the
default one. And then ask to expert windows users, the kind of users
who cannot live without the command line, sysinternals utilities,
reading official and unofficial documentation, and so on (I know, there
are _fewer_ expert windows users than expert *nix users).

vfat has NO way of storing owner and permissions, so I would not expect
a difference between root and not root.