FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-12-2008, 02:23 PM
 
Default Oops in Etch 40r3

I have recently installed debain Etch 40r3 on an older Intel desktop
which was previously reliably running a 2,4 Kernel SuSE system.

The installation went pretty smoothly, and the system is being manly
used as a firewall (Shorewall) for a local lan, and a Samba server.

This morning it generated an oops as follows:
Message from syslogd@debian at Sat Apr 12 08:11:27 2008 ...
tuko kernel: Oops: 0002 [#1]
tuko kernel: SMP
tuko kernel: CPU: 0
tuko kernel: EIP is at _spin_lock+0x1/0xf
tuko kernel: eax: 00000044 ebx: 00000000 ecx: 00000001 edx: e7893d98
tuko kernel: esi: e7893d98 edi: 00000044 ebp: 00000044 esp: dfa67f00
tuko kernel: ds: 007b es: 007b ss: 0068
tuko kernel: Process kswapd0 (pid: 122, ti=dfa66000 task=dff98550 task.ti=dfa660
00)
tuko kernel: Stack: c015e27d e7893ca4 00000000 c016f31e 00000080 e7893ea4 c60984
cc 0000f7a8
tuko kernel: dfffeac0 0000008d 000000d0 c0148ca8 003dea00 00000000 003dea
00 000315a5
tuko kernel: 00000080 00000000 00000020 c02ccec0 c02cd540 00000003 c01490
53 00000000
tuko kernel: Call Trace:
tuko kernel: Code: 05 90 ff 02 30 c9 89 c8 c3 89 c2 90 81 28 00 00 00 01 0f 94 c
0 84 c0 b9 01 00 00 00 75 09 90 81 02 00 00 00 01 30 c9 89 c8 c3 90 <fe> 08 79 0
9 f3 90 80 38 00 7e f9 eb f2 c3 90 81 28 00 00 00 01
tuko kernel: EIP: [<c028091a>] _spin_lock+0x1/0xf SS:ESP 0068:dfa67f00

Following this my ssh connections were still there, but after one or two
commands would freeze on something. The system continues to respond to
pings, but I can't start any new ssh connections.

I need to get it rebooted to get more details on the installation.

Before I spend too much time on it, does anyone know of this particular
oops being a known problem?

Any other thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin digbyt(at)digbyt.com
http://www.digbyt.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-12-2008, 06:44 PM
NN_il_Confusionario
 
Default Oops in Etch 40r3

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 02:23:44PM +0000, digbyt@skaro.afraid.org wrote:
> tuko kernel: Process kswapd0 (pid: 122, ti=dfa66000 task=dff98550 task.ti=dfa66000)

Is the memory (ram + swap) sufficient ? A 2.6 kernel might need more
memory than a 2.4 kernel. The heavvier use of swap is needed, the easier
is to meet a kswapd bug.

--
Chi usa software non libero avvelena anche te. Digli di smettere.
Informatica=arsenico: minime dosi in rari casi patologici, altrimenti letale.
Informatica=bomba: intelligente solo per gli stupidi che ci credono.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-12-2008, 10:48 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"
 
Default Oops in Etch 40r3

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 02:23:44PM +0000, digbyt@skaro.afraid.org wrote:
> I have recently installed debain Etch 40r3 on an older Intel desktop
> which was previously reliably running a 2,4 Kernel SuSE system.
>
> The installation went pretty smoothly, and the system is being manly
> used as a firewall (Shorewall) for a local lan, and a Samba server.
>
> This morning it generated an oops as follows:

[snip the oops]

> Following this my ssh connections were still there, but after one or two
> commands would freeze on something. The system continues to respond to
> pings, but I can't start any new ssh connections.
>
> I need to get it rebooted to get more details on the installation.
>
> Before I spend too much time on it, does anyone know of this particular
> oops being a known problem?
>
> Any other thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Give us some hardware details. CPU and speed, ram size, swap size, any
errors in /var/log/syslog?

You may want to install the memtest86+ package and run it when you can
spare the box for a while. The package installs a grub line so that you
can boot into it and run the tests. The problem could be a failing
memory module.

I suppose if the box had hit swap, it could be a PSU problem if the
drive was drawing too much, or it could be a disk problem (which should
show some errors in /var/log/syslog).

At least its an old box (I run them all the time) so troubleshooting
isn't too difficult.

Doug.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-12-2008, 11:23 PM
 
Default Oops in Etch 40r3

I would think so. It is quite a lightly loaded system:

digbyt@debian:~$ free -b
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1061478400 311463936 750014464 0 100552704 105132032
-/+ buffers/cache: 105779200 955699200
Swap: 699138048 0 699138048

>From dmesg:
Linux version 2.6.18-6-686 (Debian 2.6.18.dfsg.1-18etch1) (waldi@debian.org) (gc
c version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)) #1 SMP Sun Feb 10 22:11
:31 UTC 2008
BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
BIOS-e820: 0000000000000000 - 000000000009fc00 (usable)
BIOS-e820: 000000000009fc00 - 00000000000a0000 (reserved)
BIOS-e820: 00000000000e0000 - 0000000000100000 (reserved)
BIOS-e820: 0000000000100000 - 000000003ffe0000 (usable)
BIOS-e820: 000000003ffe0000 - 0000000040000000 (ACPI NVS)
BIOS-e820: 00000000feda0000 - 0000000100000000 (reserved)
127MB HIGHMEM available.
896MB LOWMEM available.
.
.
Detected 1495.263 MHz processor.
Built 1 zonelists. Total pages: 262112
Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda1 ro
mapped APIC to ffffd000 (fee00000)
mapped IOAPIC to ffffc000 (fec00000)
Enabling fast FPU save and restore... done.
Enabling unmasked SIMD FPU exception support... done.
Initializing CPU#0
PID hash table entries: 4096 (order: 12, 16384 bytes)
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Dentry cache hash table entries: 131072 (order: 7, 524288 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 65536 (order: 6, 262144 bytes)
Memory: 1031320k/1048448k available (1541k kernel code, 16448k reserved, 580k da
ta, 196k init, 130944k highmem)

Regards,
DigbyT

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 08:44:57PM +0200, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 02:23:44PM +0000, digbyt@skaro.afraid.org wrote:
> > tuko kernel: Process kswapd0 (pid: 122, ti=dfa66000 task=dff98550 task.ti=df
a66000)
>
> Is the memory (ram + swap) sufficient ? A 2.6 kernel might need more
> memory than a 2.4 kernel. The heavvier use of swap is needed, the easier
> is to meet a kswapd bug.
>
> --
> Chi usa software non libero avvelena anche te. Digli di smettere.
> Informatica=arsenico: minime dosi in rari casi patologici, altrimenti letale.
> Informatica=bomba: intelligente solo per gli stupidi che ci credono.
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

--
Digby R. S. Tarvin digbyt(at)digbyt.com
http://www.digbyt.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-13-2008, 01:19 AM
 
Default Oops in Etch 40r3

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 06:48:28PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> Give us some hardware details. CPU and speed, ram size, swap size, any
> errors in /var/log/syslog?
>
> You may want to install the memtest86+ package and run it when you can
> spare the box for a while. The package installs a grub line so that you
> can boot into it and run the tests. The problem could be a failing
> memory module.
>
> I suppose if the box had hit swap, it could be a PSU problem if the
> drive was drawing too much, or it could be a disk problem (which should
> show some errors in /var/log/syslog).
>
> At least its an old box (I run them all the time) so troubleshooting
> isn't too difficult.
>
> Doug.

/proc/cpuinfo:
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 1
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.50GHz
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 1495.263
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm up
bogomips : 2993.90

Memory reported at bood:
127MB HIGHMEM available.
896MB LOWMEM available.

uname:
2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Sun Feb 10 22:11:31 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Partitioning:
Disk /dev/hda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 547 4393746 83 Linux
/dev/hda2 548 1155 4883760 83 Linux
/dev/hda3 1156 1240 682762+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda4 1241 38913 302608372+ 5 Extended
/dev/hda5 1241 2456 9767488+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda6 2457 32850 244139773+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda7 32851 36619 30274461 83 Linux
/dev/hda8 36620 38913 18426523+ 83 Linux


The hard drive is new, purchased specifically for the OS upgrage. So it
shouldn't be failing (but of course it could be faulty..)

Memtest always seemed like clutching at straws, but I did recently have a
problem system that actually did turn out to be flakey ram, so it is
certainly worth a try...

The syslogs from around the time of the problem are:
Apr 12 07:50:43 tuko -- MARK --
Apr 12 08:09:01 tuko /USR/SBIN/CRON[30143]: (root) CMD ( [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] &
& find /var/lib/php5/ -type f -cmin +$(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime) -print0 | xarg
s -r -0 rm)
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereferen
ce at virtual address 00000044
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: printing eip:
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: c028091a
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: *pde = 00000000
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: Oops: 0002 [#1]
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: SMP
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: Modules linked in: nfs nfsd exportfs lockd nfs_acl sunrpc appletalk ppdev lp button ac battery ip6table_filter ip6_tables iptable_r
aw xt_policy xt_multiport ipt_ULOG ipt_TTL ipt_ttl ipt_TOS ipt_tos ipt_TCPMSS ip
t_SAME ipt_REJECT ipt_REDIRECT ipt_recent ipt_owner ipt_NETMAP ipt_MASQUERADE ip
t_LOG ipt_iprange ipt_hashlimit ipt_ECN ipt_ecn ipt_DSCP ipt_dscp ipt_CLUSTERIP
ipt_ah ipt_addrtype ip_nat_tftp ip_nat_snmp_basic ip_nat_pptp ip_nat_irc ip_nat_
ftp ip_nat_amanda ip_conntrack_tftp ip_conntrack_pptp ip_conntrack_netbios_ns ip
_conntrack_irc ip_conntrack_ftp ts_kmp ip_conntrack_amanda xt_tcpmss xt_pkttype
xt_physdev bridge xt_NFQUEUE xt_MARK xt_mark xt_mac xt_limit xt_length xt_helper
xt_dccp xt_conntrack xt_CONNMARK xt_connmark xt_CLASSIFY xt_tcpudp xt_state ipt
able_nat ip_nat ip_conntrack iptable_mangle nfnetlink iptable_filter ip_tables x
_tables ipv6 reiserfs dm_snapshot dm_mirror dm_mod loop parport_pc parport tsdev
floppy snd_intel8x0 snd_ac97_codec snd_ac97_bus snd_pcm_oss snd
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: mixer_oss serio_raw psmouse rtc snd_pcm snd_timer p
cspkr shpchp pci_hotplug intel_agp agpgart snd soundcore snd_page_alloc evdev ex
t3 jbd mbcache ide_cd cdrom ide_disk ehci_hcd ohci_hcd tulip e100 mii uhci_hcd u
sbcore piix generic ide_core thermal processor fan
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: CPU: 0
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: EIP: 0060:[<c028091a>] Not tainted VLI
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: EFLAGS: 00010206 (2.6.18-6-686 #1)
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: EIP is at _spin_lock+0x1/0xf
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: eax: 00000044 ebx: 00000000 ecx: 00000001 edx
: e7893d98
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: esi: e7893d98 edi: 00000044 ebp: 00000044 esp: dfa67f00
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: ds: 007b es: 007b ss: 0068
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: Process kswapd0 (pid: 122, ti=dfa66000 task=dff9855
0 task.ti=dfa66000)
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: Stack: c015e27d e7893ca4 00000000 c016f31e 00000080
e7893ea4 c60984cc 0000f7a8
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: dfffeac0 0000008d 000000d0 c0148ca8 003dea00
00000000 003dea00 000315a5
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: 00000080 00000000 00000020 c02ccec0 c02cd540
00000003 c0149053 00000000
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: Call Trace:
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: [<c015e27d>] remove_inode_buffers+0x2b/0x5a
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: [<c016f31e>] shrink_icache_memory+0xc6/0x1bd
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: [<c0148ca8>] shrink_slab+0xd3/0x13c
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: [<c0149053>] kswapd+0x2ab/0x38b
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: [<c012d92d>] autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x2d
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: [<c0148da8>] kswapd+0x0/0x38b
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: [<c012d85f>] kthread+0xc2/0xef
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: [<c012d79d>] kthread+0x0/0xef
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: [<c0101005>] kernel_thread_helper+0x5/0xb
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: Code: 05 90 ff 02 30 c9 89 c8 c3 89 c2 90 81 28 00
00 00 01 0f 94 c0 84 c0 b9 01 00 00 00 75 09 90 81 02 00 00 00 01 30 c9 89 c8 c3
90 <fe> 08 79 09 f3 90 80 38 00 7e f9 eb f2 c3 90 81 28 00 00 00 01
Apr 12 08:11:27 tuko kernel: EIP: [<c028091a>] _spin_lock+0x1/0xf SS:ESP 0068:df
a67f00
Apr 12 08:17:01 tuko /USR/SBIN/CRON[30357]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --r
eport /etc/cron.hourly)
Apr 12 08:30:43 tuko -- MARK --
Apr 12 08:33:01 tuko /USR/SBIN/CRON[30745]: (nobody) CMD ([ -x /usr/share/sa-exi
m/greylistclean ] && /usr/share/sa-exim/greylistclean)
Apr 12 08:39:01 tuko /USR/SBIN/CRON[30892]: (root) CMD ( [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] &
& find /var/lib/php5/ -type f -cmin +$(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime) -print0 | xarg
s -r -0 rm)
Apr 12 08:50:44 tuko -- MARK --
Apr 12 09:09:01 tuko /USR/SBIN/CRON[31623]: (root) CMD ( [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] &
& find /var/lib/php5/ -type f -cmin +$(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime) -print0 | xarg
s -r -0 rm)
Apr 12 09:17:01 tuko /USR/SBIN/CRON[31822]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --r
eport /etc/cron.hourly)
Apr 12 09:30:44 tuko -- MARK --
Apr 12 09:31:51 tuko kernel: <6>Shorewall:net2allROP:IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:02:a
5:f7:47:a8:00:0b:bf:51:60:01:08:00 SRC=125.65.112.135 DST=81.105.30.126 LEN=40 T
OS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=99 ID=256 PROTO=TCP SPT=6000 DPT=3128 WINDOW=16384 RES=0x0
0 SYN URGP=0
Apr 12 09:31:51 tuko kernel: Shorewall:net2allROP:IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:02:a5:f7
:47:a8:00:0b:bf:51:60:01:08:00 SRC=125.65.112.135 DST=81.105.30.126 LEN=40 TOS=0
.
.


Nothing much else remarkable, other than the fact that the looked so normal.
Whatever was preventing new logins was not stopping the firewall or
periodic cron jobs...

Regards,
DigbyT


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-13-2008, 03:55 AM
NN_il_Confusionario
 
Default Oops in Etch 40r3

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 11:23:48PM +0000, digbyt@skaro.afraid.org wrote:
> digbyt@debian:~$ free -b
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 1061478400 311463936 750014464 0 100552704 105132032
> -/+ buffers/cache: 105779200 955699200
> Swap: 699138048 0 699138048
> . .Detected 1495.263 MHz processor.

For my standards this is a very modern and powerful box.

If memterst86 (or memtest from memtester package, if you cannot spare
the box) and the check of logs does not show anything, I will
_temporarilly_ try another kernel (a newer one from etch-and-half,
backports and/or an older one from sarge; or even the suse kernel that
was running fine before) to understand if a bug report agaisnt the
current kernel in etch is needed

--
Chi usa software non libero avvelena anche te. Digli di smettere.
Informatica=arsenico: minime dosi in rari casi patologici, altrimenti letale.
Informatica=bomba: intelligente solo per gli stupidi che ci credono.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-13-2008, 02:35 PM
 
Default Oops in Etch 40r3

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 05:55:36AM +0200, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 11:23:48PM +0000, digbyt@skaro.afraid.org wrote:
> > digbyt@debian:~$ free -b
> > total used free shared buffers cached
> > Mem: 1061478400 311463936 750014464 0 100552704 105132032
> > -/+ buffers/cache: 105779200 955699200
> > Swap: 699138048 0 699138048
> > . .Detected 1495.263 MHz processor.
>
> For my standards this is a very modern and powerful box.
>
> If memterst86 (or memtest from memtester package, if you cannot spare
> the box) and the check of logs does not show anything, I will
> _temporarilly_ try another kernel (a newer one from etch-and-half,
> backports and/or an older one from sarge; or even the suse kernel that
> was running fine before) to understand if a bug report agaisnt the
> current kernel in etch is needed
>

memtester is an interesting idea (since my next opportunity to shutdown
is about a week away). I assume that it won't really be able to rule out
the possibility of a memory problem as it can only test a sufficiently
small amount of free memory so as not to interfere with the running of
the system.

That gives rise to another question. I just repeated the free command
above to see how much memory can be spared, and see that my memory usage
has steadily climbed despite having no users on the system, and nothing
running other than the standard packages from a server install:

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1061478400 860430336 201048064 0 374857728 164020224
-/+ buffers/cache: 321552384 739926016
Swap: 699138048 0 699138048

Clearly about half of this increase (270M) is due to the buffer chache,
which is a reasonable use for spare memory capacity. Any idea how to
find out where the rest has gone? I'd rather not push the system into
excessive swapping if disk i/o is a potentially implicated in the
original crash.

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin digbyt(at)digbyt.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-13-2008, 04:40 PM
NN_il_Confusionario
 
Default Oops in Etch 40r3

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 02:35:25PM +0000, digbyt@skaro.afraid.org wrote:
> my memory usage
> has steadily climbed despite having no users on the system,

perhaps htop memstat sysatat or similar things can help

smartmontools hdparm (and badblocks, later) for the HD

Also, how much (kernel) memory is used by netfilter (activated by
iptables rules) to track connections? (it might be somewhere in /proc
but I do not remember)

--
Chi usa software non libero avvelena anche te. Digli di smettere.
Informatica=arsenico: minime dosi in rari casi patologici, altrimenti letale.
Informatica=bomba: intelligente solo per gli stupidi che ci credono.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:55 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org