Old 04-12-2008, 05:15 AM
"Jaisen N.D."

Default Another problem Postgresql: createdb: could not connect to database postgres: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

have another problem with postgresql 8.1. I have uninstalled the
postgresql-8.3 and removed its configuration files, and the user
postgres also. Then installed postgresql-8.1. But when I started to
create a database, it shows some message like this..

Here is the output I got:-
localhost:/home/user# su - postgres
postgres@localhost:~$ /usr/lib/postgresql/8.1/bin/initdb -D /var/lib/postgresql/data

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale en_IN.
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to UTF8.

initdb: directory "/var/lib/postgresql/data" exists but is not empty

If you want to create a new database system, either remove or empty
the directory "/var/lib/postgresql/data" or run initdb
with an argument other than "/var/lib/postgresql/data".
postgres@localhost:~$ /usr/lib/postgresql/8.1/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/lib/postgresql/data -l logfile start

postmaster starting
postgres@localhost:~$ /usr/lib/postgresql/8.1/bin/createdb test
createdb: could not connect to database postgres: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
******* Is the server running locally and accepting

******* connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
postgres@localhost:~$
Why it can't connect to server? How can I resolve it??

--
(`'.(`'.**.') .')**
`*Jaisen.*..`

Old 04-12-2008, 11:04 AM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 10:45:46AM +0530, Jaisen N.D. wrote:
> I have another problem with postgresql 8.1.
> initdb: directory "/var/lib/postgresql/data" exists but is not empty
> If you want to create a new database system, either remove or empty
> the directory "/var/lib/postgresql/data" or run initdb
> with an argument other than "/var/lib/postgresql/data".

I you cannot do what the above suggests, explain why.