-   -   could not connect to database postgres: could not connect to server (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/68521-could-not-connect-database-postgres-could-not-connect-server.html)

"Jaisen N.D." 04-12-2008 04:56 AM

could not connect to database postgres: could not connect to server

I have another problem with postgresql 8.1. I have uninstalled the postgresql-8.3 and removed its configuration files, and the user postgres also. Then installed postgresql-8.1. But when I started to create a database, it shows some message like this..

Here is the output I got:-
localhost:/home/user# su - postgres
postgres@localhost:~$ /usr/lib/postgresql/8.1/bin/initdb -D /var/lib/postgresql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale en_IN.
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to UTF8.

initdb: directory "/var/lib/postgresql/data" exists but is not empty

If you want to create a new database system, either remove or empty
the directory "/var/lib/postgresql/data" or run initdb
with an argument other than "/var/lib/postgresql/data".
postgres@localhost:~$ /usr/lib/postgresql/8.1/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/lib/postgresql/data -l logfile start

postmaster starting
postgres@localhost:~$ /usr/lib/postgresql/8.1/bin/createdb test
createdb: could not connect to database postgres: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
******* Is the server running locally and accepting

******* connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
postgres@localhost:~$
Why it can't connect to server? How can I resolve it??

--
`*Jaisen.*..`