Old 04-12-2008, 03:17 AM
"Manon Metten"

Default euro sign / nobreak space

Hi All,

In "KDE/Control Center/Keyboard layout/Xkb options", I set
"Adding the EuroSign to certain keys" to "Add the EuroSign to the 5 key", coz that's where
it is located on my keyboard.

At the bottom of the Control Center I read: "setxkbmap -option eurosign:5,compose:menu".
(I have set Compose Key Position to Menu is compose.) So I expected to get the
EuroSign after pressing the menu key and then the 5 key. But all I get is no EuroSign.

Tried I tried Alt+5, Ctrl+5, Ctrl+Alt+5 etc. but I don't get no EuroSign. What did I do wrong?
What keys do I have to press to get the EuroSign?

I also*found this: "Adding the nobreakspace keysym to space key" with the

options to set it to any, second, third and fourth level.

What is a level, and eg. if I set it to second level, how do I access the
nobreakspace char then?

Greetings, Manon.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Nigel Henry

On Saturday 12 April 2008 05:17, Manon Metten wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In "KDE/Control Center/Keyboard layout/Xkb options", I set
> "Adding the EuroSign to certain keys" to "Add the EuroSign to the 5 key",
> coz that's where
> it is located on my keyboard.
>
> At the bottom of the Control Center I read: "setxkbmap -option
> eurosign:5,compose:menu".
> (I have set Compose Key Position to Menu is compose.) So I expected to get
> the
> EuroSign after pressing the menu key and then the 5 key. But all I get is
> no EuroSign.
>
> Tried I tried Alt+5, Ctrl+5, Ctrl+Alt+5 etc. but I don't get no EuroSign.
> What did I do wrong?
> What keys do I have to press to get the EuroSign?

Hi Manon. I have a few keboard layouts setup, but on the GB one, the right alt
key (ALT GR) plus the 4, gives me the € sign. On the US keyboard layout,
right alt plus E does the same. French keyboard, right alt plus E again, and
the same for portugese layout.

> I also found this: "Adding the nobreakspace keysym to space key" with the
> options to set it to any, second, third and fourth level.
>
> What is a level, and eg. if I set it to second level, how do I access the
> nobreakspace char then?

Not sure about the nobreakspace char, but the levels are:
Level one: lower case characters.
Level two: Upper case characters (using the shift key).
Level three: Additional characters (using right alt (ALT GR) key).
Level four: More additional characters (using right alt plus shift).

> Greetings, Manon.

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:43 PM
"Manon Metten"

Hi Nigel

On 4/12/08, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
On Saturday 12 April 2008 05:17, Manon Metten wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In "KDE/Control Center/Keyboard layout/Xkb options", I set
> "Adding the EuroSign to certain keys" to "Add the EuroSign to the 5 key",

> coz that's where it is located on my keyboard.
>
> At the bottom of the Control Center I read: "setxkbmap -option
> eurosign:5,compose:menu".
> (I have set Compose Key Position to Menu is compose.) So I expected to get

> the EuroSign after pressing the menu key and then the 5 key. But all I get is
> no EuroSign.
>
> Tried I tried Alt+5, Ctrl+5, Ctrl+Alt+5 etc. but I don't get no EuroSign.
> What did I do wrong?

> What keys do I have to press to get the EuroSign?

Hi Manon. I have a few keboard layouts setup, but on the GB one, the right alt
key (ALT GR) plus the 4, gives me the € sign. On the US keyboard layout,

right alt plus E does the same. French keyboard, right alt plus E again, and
the same for portugese layout.
I have a US keyboard, but it just won't work. I have tried all options (2 key, E key

and 5 key) but nothing works. Whenever I press the Alt-Gr + E, the Edit menu opens
(same with the left-Alt + E).
*

> I also found this: "Adding the nobreakspace keysym to space key" with the
> options to set it to any, second, third and fourth level.
>
> What is a level, and eg. if I set it to second level, how do I access the

> nobreakspace char then?

Not sure about the nobreakspace char, but the levels are:
Level one:**lower case characters.
Level two:** Upper case characters (using the shift key).
Level three: Additional characters**(using right alt (ALT GR) key).

Level four: More additional characters (using right alt plus shift).
Thanks for the info. Didn't know that.But whatever settings I try,
I don't get a nobreakspace char (ascii 160).
*
Greetings, Manon.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 21:43:55 +0200, Manon Metten wrote:
> On 4/12/08, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Saturday 12 April 2008 05:17, Manon Metten wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > In "KDE/Control Center/Keyboard layout/Xkb options", I set
> > > "Adding the EuroSign to certain keys" to "Add the EuroSign to the 5
> > > key",
> > > coz that's where it is located on my keyboard.
> > >
> > > At the bottom of the Control Center I read: "setxkbmap -option
> > > eurosign:5,compose:menu".
> > > (I have set Compose Key Position to Menu is compose.) So I expected to
> > > get
> > > the EuroSign after pressing the menu key and then the 5 key. But all I
> > > get is
> > > no EuroSign.
> > >
> > > Tried I tried Alt+5, Ctrl+5, Ctrl+Alt+5 etc. but I don't get no
> > > EuroSign.
> > > What did I do wrong?
> > > What keys do I have to press to get the EuroSign?
> >
> > Hi Manon. I have a few keboard layouts setup, but on the GB one, the right
> > alt
> > key (ALT GR) plus the 4, gives me the € sign. On the US keyboard layout,
> > right alt plus E does the same. French keyboard, right alt plus E again,
> > and
> > the same for portugese layout.
>
> I have a US keyboard, but it just won't work. I have tried all options (2
> key, E key
> and 5 key) but nothing works. Whenever I press the Alt-Gr + E, the Edit menu
> opens
> (same with the left-Alt + E).

Send us the output of the following three commands:

setxkbmap -print

xmodmap -pm

xmodmap -pke | egrep 'EuroSign|Level'

> > > I also found this: "Adding the nobreakspace keysym to space key" with the
> > > options to set it to any, second, third and fourth level.
> > >
> > > What is a level, and eg. if I set it to second level, how do I access
> > > the
> > > nobreakspace char then?
> >
> > Not sure about the nobreakspace char, but the levels are:
> > Level one: lower case characters.
> > Level two: Upper case characters (using the shift key).
> > Level three: Additional characters (using right alt (ALT GR) key).
> > Level four: More additional characters (using right alt plus shift).
>
> Thanks for the info. Didn't know that.But whatever settings I try,
> I don't get a nobreakspace char (ascii 160).

Then we also need the output of:

xmodmap -pke | grep space

Florian |

Old 04-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Nigel Henry

On Saturday 12 April 2008 21:43, Manon Metten wrote:
> Hi Nigel
>
> On 4/12/08, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> > On Saturday 12 April 2008 05:17, Manon Metten wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > In "KDE/Control Center/Keyboard layout/Xkb options", I set
> > > "Adding the EuroSign to certain keys" to "Add the EuroSign to the 5
> >
> > key",
> >
> > > coz that's where it is located on my keyboard.
> > >
> > > At the bottom of the Control Center I read: "setxkbmap -option
> > > eurosign:5,compose:menu".
> > > (I have set Compose Key Position to Menu is compose.) So I expected to
> >
> > get
> >
> > > the EuroSign after pressing the menu key and then the 5 key. But all I
> >
> > get is
> >
> > > no EuroSign.
> > >
> > > Tried I tried Alt+5, Ctrl+5, Ctrl+Alt+5 etc. but I don't get no
> >
> > EuroSign.
> >
> > > What did I do wrong?
> > > What keys do I have to press to get the EuroSign?
> >
> > Hi Manon. I have a few keboard layouts setup, but on the GB one, the
> > right alt
> > key (ALT GR) plus the 4, gives me the € sign. On the US keyboard layout,
> > right alt plus E does the same. French keyboard, right alt plus E again,
> > and
> > the same for portugese layout.
>
> I have a US keyboard, but it just won't work. I have tried all options (2
> key, E key
> and 5 key) but nothing works. Whenever I press the Alt-Gr + E, the Edit
> menu opens
> (same with the left-Alt + E).

Well I tried adding the € to the 5 key on my Etch install, which only has the
original US keyboard layout. The only box I checked in xkb options was the
"Add the EuroSign to the 5 key" one, and ALT-GR plus 5 now gives me the €
char. The command shows: setxkbmap -option eurosign:5

> > I also found this: "Adding the nobreakspace keysym to space key" with the
> >
> > > options to set it to any, second, third and fourth level.
> > >
> > > What is a level, and eg. if I set it to second level, how do I access
> >
> > the
> >
> > > nobreakspace char then?
> >

> Thanks for the info. Didn't know that.But whatever settings I try,
> I don't get a nobreakspace char (ascii 160).

Later on I checked the box "Space key output nobreakspace at third level". I
tried ALT-GR plus space in Gedit, and Kwrite, and that still makes a space,
but in KDE's Konsole ALT-GR plus space results in no visible space, but a
continual string of characters, so it appears to be working, but what it's
used for, I have no idea. Perhaps someone would tell me.

The command now shows: setxkbmap -option eurosign:5,nbsp:level3

The ALT-GR key is the default one for accessing level 3, and I havn't messed
about with changing level 3 access to a different key.

Nigel.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:00 PM
"Manon Metten"

Hi Florian,

On 4/13/08, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 21:43:55 +0200, Manon Metten wrote:
> On 4/12/08, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Saturday 12 April 2008 05:17, Manon Metten wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > In "KDE/Control Center/Keyboard layout/Xkb options", I set

> > > "Adding the EuroSign to certain keys" to "Add the EuroSign to the 5
> > > key",
> > > coz that's where it is located on my keyboard.
> > >

> > > At the bottom of the Control Center I read: "setxkbmap -option
> > > eurosign:5,compose:menu".
> > > (I have set Compose Key Position to Menu is compose.) So I expected to

> > > get
> > > the EuroSign after pressing the menu key and then the 5 key. But all I
> > > get is
> > > no EuroSign.
> > >
> > > Tried I tried Alt+5, Ctrl+5, Ctrl+Alt+5 etc. but I don't get no

> > > EuroSign.
> > > What did I do wrong?
> > > What keys do I have to press to get the EuroSign?

Send us the output of the following three commands:

setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
xkb_keycodes { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)" };
xkb_types { include "complete" };

xkb_compat { include "complete" };
xkb_symbols { include "pc(pc105)+us+compose(menu)+eurosign(5)+nbsp(level 3)" };
xkb_geometry { include "pc(pc104)" };

};

*

xmodmap -pm
xmodmap: up to 3 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift Shift_L (0x32), Shift_R (0x3e)
lock Caps_Lock (0x42)
control Control_L (0x25), Control_R (0x6d)

mod1 Alt_L (0x40), Alt_L (0x7d), Meta_L (0x9c)
mod2 Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4 Super_L (0x7f), Hyper_L (0x80)
mod5 Mode_switch (0x5d), ISO_Level3_Shift (0x7c)

xmodmap -pke | egrep 'EuroSign|Level'
keycode 14 = 5 percent EuroSign NoSymbol EuroSign
keycode 124 = ISO_Level3_Shift

*

> > > I also found this: "Adding the nobreakspace keysym to space key" with the
> > > options to set it to any, second, third and fourth level.

Then we also need the output of:

xmodmap -pke | grep space
keycode 65 = space space nobreakspace NoSymbol nobreakspace

*

Thanks in advance, Manon.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:03 PM
"Manon Metten"

Hi Nigel,

Well I tried adding the € to the 5 key on my Etch install, which only has the
original US keyboard layout. The only box I checked in xkb options was the
"Add the EuroSign to the 5 key" one, and ALT-GR plus 5 now gives me the €

char.**The command shows:**setxkbmap -option eurosign:5
I did the same, but it just don't work.

Later on I checked the box "Space key output nobreakspace at third level". I
tried ALT-GR plus space in Gedit, and Kwrite, and that still makes a space,
but in KDE's Konsole ALT-GR plus space results in no visible space, but a

continual string of characters, so it appears to be working, but what it's
used for, I have no idea. Perhaps someone would tell me.
I use the nobreakspace char instead of the <br /> tag in html code. Gives a much cleaner text.

*

The command now shows: setxkbmap -option eurosign:5,nbsp:level3
Strange, my output of the same command shows nothing.
*

Thanks, Manon.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Nigel Henry

On Sunday 13 April 2008 16:03, Manon Metten wrote:
> Hi Nigel,
>
> Well I tried adding the € to the 5 key on my Etch install, which only has
>
> > the
> > original US keyboard layout. The only box I checked in xkb options was
> > the "Add the EuroSign to the 5 key" one, and ALT-GR plus 5 now gives me
> > the € char. The command shows: setxkbmap -option eurosign:5
>
> I did the same, but it just don't work.
>

> Later on I checked the box "Space key output nobreakspace at third level".
>
> > tried ALT-GR plus space in Gedit, and Kwrite, and that still makes a
> > space,
> > but in KDE's Konsole ALT-GR plus space results in no visible space, but a
> > continual string of characters, so it appears to be working, but what
> > it's used for, I have no idea. Perhaps someone would tell me.
>
> I use the nobreakspace char instead of the <br /> tag in html code. Gives a
> much cleaner text.
>

> The command now shows: setxkbmap -option eurosign:5,nbsp:level3
>

> Strange, my output of the same command shows nothing.
>

> Thanks, Manon.

Hi Manon. I had another go at this problem of yours, and after playing about
with the "Compose Key Position" section lost access to the € character on key
5, which was working with ALT-GR plus 5. Then I unchecked all boxes, and
clicked apply, then clicked defaults, then logged out, and back in to KDE.

So starting from the top, I check "Enable xkb options", then scroll down to
"Adding the EuroSign to certain keys" section. Check the "Add the EuroSign to
the 5 key" box, click apply, and then open gedit. Now I try ALT-GR plus 5,
but nothing. Thinking back to when I first tried this, first of all I checked
a box in the "Third level choosers" section, which was the "Press Right Alt
key to choose 3rd level, Shift+Right Alt key is Multi_Key", so now I check
this box again, and click apply.

Now the € character appears in Gedit when doing an ALT-GR plus 5. Now if I
uncheck the box above, and click apply, the only box now checked is the "Add
the EuroSign to the 5 key" one, and ALT-GR plus 5 still shows me a €
character in Gedit. I hope you are following me on what I had to do to get
the € character showing in Gedit/Kwrite.

There does though seem to be a problem when checking boxes in the "Compose Key
Position" section of xkb options. I lost access to the € character. All I got
were beeps from the pc speaker, and no € character displayed in Gedit.

I suggest unchecking all boxes on the "Enable xkb options" page, click on
"apply", then on "default", then logout, and login to KDE.

Having logged back in, check "Enable xkb options" box, and scroll down to the
"Third level choosers" section, then check the "Press Right Alt key to choose
3rd level, Shift+Right Alt key is Multi_Key." box.

Scroll down a bit more to "Adding the EuroSign to certain keys" section, and
check the "Add the EuroSign to the 5 key." box. Click apply. Open Gedit, or
Kwrite, and try ALT-GR plus 5. This works for me, and I get the € character
displayed in the text editor.

I don't know about the "Compose Key Position" section though, as I lost access
to the € character, when checking any of the boxes here.

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Florian Kulzer

[ Please try to turn off the HTML part. ]

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:00:05 +0200, Manon Metten wrote:
> On 4/13/08, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> Send us the output of the following three commands:
> >
> > setxkbmap -print
>
> xkb_keymap {
> xkb_keycodes { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)" };
> xkb_types { include "complete" };
> xkb_compat { include "complete" };
> xkb_symbols { include "pc(pc105)+us+compose(menu)+eurosign(5)+nbsp(level 3)" };
> xkb_geometry { include "pc(pc104)" };
> };

I don't think it is the cause for the present problems, but I would
nevertheless fix the pc104/pc105 inconsistency. Check which keyboard you
have: The pc105 model has a "tall" ENTER key (spanning two rows of keys
and reaching up to the backspace key) while the pc104 model has a
one-row ENTER key with the backslash/pipe key above it. You can use the
"xkeycaps" package to display graphical representations of the different
layouts.

> xmodmap -pm
>
> xmodmap: up to 3 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):
>
> shift Shift_L (0x32), Shift_R (0x3e)
> lock Caps_Lock (0x42)
> control Control_L (0x25), Control_R (0x6d)
> mod1 Alt_L (0x40), Alt_L (0x7d), Meta_L (0x9c)
> mod2 Num_Lock (0x4d)
> mod3
> mod4 Super_L (0x7f), Hyper_L (0x80)
> mod5 Mode_switch (0x5d), ISO_Level3_Shift (0x7c)

Something is missing in the "mod5" line: ISO_Level3_Shift (0x71)

> xmodmap -pke | egrep 'EuroSign|Level'
>
> keycode 14 = 5 percent EuroSign NoSymbol EuroSign
> keycode 124 = ISO_Level3_Shift

The AltGr key has keycode 113 (0x71) for both the pc104 and the pc105
keyboard model. (You can check with "xev" from "x11-utils".) In your
case it does not have the ISO_Level3_Shift symbol associated with it, so
it produces "Alt_R", which acts the same as the left ALT key. This is
the expected behavior for the "basic" variant of the "us" layout.

You can either use KDE's "Xkb Options" tab to add the option "Third
level choosers > Press Right Alt key to choose 3rd level", or you can
use the "Layout" tab to select the "euro" variant of the "us" layout
(which already includes both the "lvl3:ralt_switch" and the "eurosign:5"
option.)

The same setup can be achieved via /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Your pc104/5
inconsistency is probably the result of contradicting settings in
xorg.conf and in the KDE keyboard dialogs.

> > the
>
> Then we also need the output of:
> >
> > xmodmap -pke | grep space
>
> keycode 65 = space space nobreakspace NoSymbol nobreakspace

This should work as soon as you have the ISO_Level3_Shift symbol
associated with the AltGr key.

Florian |

Old 04-14-2008, 06:55 AM
"Manon Metten"

Hi Nigel

> I suggest unchecking all boxes on the "Enable xkb options" page, click on
> "apply", then on "default", then logout, and login to KDE.
>
> Having logged back in, check "Enable xkb options" box, and scroll down to the
> "Third level choosers" section, then check the "Press Right Alt key to choose
> 3rd level, Shift+Right Alt key is Multi_Key." box.
>
> Scroll down a bit more to "Adding the EuroSign to certain keys" section, and
> check the "Add the EuroSign to the 5 key." box. Click apply. Open Gedit, or
> Kwrite, and try ALT-GR plus 5. This works for me, and I get the € character
> displayed in the text editor.

Wow! Great!
I did exactly as you suggested, and now it works.
Alt+5 now produces the € sign and Alt+Space the nobreakspace char (ascii 160).

Thank you very much for your help. I've tried all I could think of,
but I couldn't have figured this out myself.

> I don't know about the "Compose Key Position" section though, as I lost > access to the € character, when checking any of the boxes here.

After the € sign and the nbsp; char worked, I checked "Menu is
compose" as I my previous setting was, and that also works again like
it did: á è ï ô ũ :-)

Greetings and thanks again, Manon.