Old 04-11-2008, 06:42 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Default OT: what scripting language to learn?

I keep coming up against a wall "Solid scripting experience required"
in my job search (for Linux sys admin). IYHO, what would be the one
scripting language to learn?

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 04-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Glenn Becker

I keep coming up against a wall "Solid scripting experience required" in my
job search (for Linux sys admin). IYHO, what would be the one scripting
language to learn?

I would learn straight shell (sh) ... it's clunkier than bash shell but
it's everywhere.

Of course to be useful you'd have to know things like sed and some awk and
so on: standard unix utils.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Daniel Mahoney

Damon L. Chesser wrote:
I keep coming up against a wall "Solid scripting experience required"
in my job search (for Linux sys admin). IYHO, what would be the one
scripting language to learn?

Though I find Python to be clearer and easier to write, Perl would
probably be a good choice. There are a lot more tools out there written
in Perl than those written in Python.

Dan

Old 04-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Kevin Mark

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 06:45:16PM +0000, Glenn Becker wrote:

>> I keep coming up against a wall "Solid scripting experience required"
>> in my job search (for Linux sys admin). IYHO, what would be the one
>> scripting language to learn?
>
> I would learn straight shell (sh) ... it's clunkier than bash shell but
> it's everywhere.
>
> Of course to be useful you'd have to know things like sed and some awk
> and so on: standard unix utils.

millions of lines of debian infrastructure are composed in shell
scripts. Beyond that there is: perl, python, ruby....
-k
--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|

Old 04-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Damon L. Chesser wrote:

> I keep coming up against a wall "Solid scripting experience required"
> in my job search (for Linux sys admin). IYHO, what would be the one
> scripting language to learn?

If you just want to learn one language start with python. If you have
flexibility to learn more than one, go with python, perl, shell scripting.

hth
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 04-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Bob McGowan

Damon L. Chesser wrote:
I keep coming up against a wall "Solid scripting experience required"
in my job search (for Linux sys admin). IYHO, what would be the one
scripting language to learn?

Several other responses suggest "sh", with "awk" and "sed", etc.

I second those suggestions, but have one thing to add: learn regex
syntax, and learn it well. They can be "mind benders", but if you don't
know how to use them, your use of UNIX/Linux command line utilities will
suffer.

--
Bob McGowan

Old 04-12-2008, 01:03 AM