Old 04-12-2008, 01:21 AM
"s. keeling"

Default OT: what scripting language to learn?

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:

> On 04/11/08 13:47, Daniel Mahoney wrote:
> > Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> >> I keep coming up against a wall "Solid scripting experience required"
> >> in my job search (for Linux sys admin). IYHO, what would be the one
> >> scripting language to learn?
> >
> > Though I find Python to be clearer and easier to write, Perl would
> > probably be a good choice. There are a lot more tools out there written
> > in Perl than those written in Python.
>
> Python certainly is more rational, but what the ad means is "solid
> shell (which implies sed & awk) and Perl experience required".

Not a given. When employers are posting ads demanding "Solid
Computing Skills; must have used MS Office!", wtfd "Solid scripting"
mean?

If you've no scripting exp., you may have a problem. In my
experience, "Solid scripting" means "Oh, you know what shell scripts
are? Cool."

And this is at some very big corps. "sed? awk? What are those?"

Old 04-12-2008, 01:23 AM
"s. keeling"

Bob McGowan <bob_mcgowan@symantec.com>:
> Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > I keep coming up against a wall "Solid scripting experience required"
> > in my job search (for Linux sys admin). IYHO, what would be the one
> > scripting language to learn?
>
> Several other responses suggest "sh", with "awk" and "sed", etc.
>
> I second those suggestions, but have one thing to add: learn regex
> syntax, and learn it well. They can be "mind benders", but if you don't
> know how to use them, your use of UNIX/Linux command line utilities will
> suffer.

I strongly agree, and this knowledge is portable. All of the *nix
tools, including shell, perl, and python, rely on regex
understanding.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:44 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 03:23:57AM +0200, s. keeling wrote:

> I strongly agree, and this knowledge is portable. All of the *nix
> tools, including shell, perl, and python, rely on regex
> understanding.

One can get along just fine in python without using regex. I'm living
proof. Sure, the regex module lets you do neat one-liners, but I hate
one-liners especially when I'm tired.

Doug.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:52 AM
Steve Lamb

Daniel Mahoney wrote:
> Though I find Python to be clearer and easier to write, Perl would
> probably be a good choice. There are a lot more tools out there written
> in Perl than those written in Python.

Whereas Python is on the rise while Perl is declining. At least if you
believe ohloh.net.

http://www.ohloh.net/languages/compare?commit=Update&l0=python&l1=perl&l2=-1&l3=-1&l4=-1&measure=projects&percent=true

That's just one example.

--
Steve C. Lamb | But who decides what they dream?
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | And dream I do...

Old 04-12-2008, 01:55 AM
Steve Lamb

Ron Johnson wrote:
> Python certainly is more rational, but what the ad means is "solid
> shell (which implies sed & awk) and Perl experience required".

That's a tad presumptuous. In my area the rare ads I see for Linux/Unix
work which mention scripting go on to specify that Perl/Python/Ruby experience
is pretty much equal. In reality most computer languages are but dialects of
a process and once you learn one dialect well learning how to "speak" in
another is managible. Compiles vs "Scripted", procedural vs. functional vs.
objective. All of those can be considered different languages branches so
it's harder to cross. But in the end an experienced programmer is an
experienced programmer above all else.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Steve Lamb

Bob McGowan wrote:
> I second those suggestions, but have one thing to add: learn regex
> syntax, and learn it well. They can be "mind benders", but if you don't
> know how to use them, your use of UNIX/Linux command line utilities will
> suffer.

T'hell with command line. Without regex your Python, Perl, Ruby, PHP,
sh, vim will all suffer. Scripting without regex is like eating a
veggieburger. Yeah, it may look the same and it may feel the same but no way
does it taste the same.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom