Old 07-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Kushal Kumaran

Default Transferring files between Samsung tablet and a Debian box

Ken Heard <kenslists@teksavvy.com> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me how I can transfer files between my Samsung tablet
>with Honeycomb and my Debian boxes with Lenny or Squeeze, using either
>USB or Bluetooth connection between them? I know I can transfer them
>by
>e-mail, but that method is cumbersome.

I hear newer versions of android no longer support the usb mass storage protocol. They use something called Media Transfer Protocol. The libmtp package (and associated utility packages) should help, but I think they are still in debian unstable only.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Miles Fidelman

Kushal Kumaran wrote:

Ken Heard <kenslists@teksavvy.com> wrote:

Can anyone tell me how I can transfer files between my Samsung tablet
with Honeycomb and my Debian boxes with Lenny or Squeeze, using either
USB or Bluetooth connection between them? I know I can transfer them
by
e-mail, but that method is cumbersome.

I hear newer versions of android no longer support the usb mass storage protocol. They use something called Media Transfer Protocol. The libmtp package (and associated utility packages) should help, but I think they are still in debian unstable only.

amazing what one can find with a little googling:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/how-to-connect-your-android-ice-cream-sandwich-phone-to-ubuntu-for-file-access

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Archive: 4FFF0DA2.2010105@meetinghouse.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FFF0DA2.2010105@meetinghouse.net

Old 07-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Siard

Miles Fidelman wrote:
> amazing what one can find with a little googling:
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/how-to-connect-your-android-ice-cream-sandwich-phone-to-ubuntu-for-file-access

In addition to that, I found another method which is amazingly fast:
install an application like 'Software data cable' in your Android
device. If device and PC both share the same WiFi connection, then you
can access your device from your PC through an ftp program, e.g. gftp.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Mark Neidorff

On Thursday 12 July 2012 1:47:14 pm Miles Fidelman wrote:

> > I hear newer versions of android no longer support the usb mass storage
> > protocol. They use something called Media Transfer Protocol. The libmtp
> > package (and associated utility packages) should help, but I think they
> > are still in debian unstable only.
>
> amazing what one can find with a little googling:
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/how-to-connect-your-android-ice-cream-sa
> ndwich-phone-to-ubuntu-for-file-access

It doesn't work for me. Here is the error output that I get:

mark@Mark:~$ mtp-detect
libmtp version: 1.0.3

Listing raw device(s)
Device 0 (VID=04e8 and PID=6860) is UNKNOWN.
Please report this VID/PID and the device model to the libmtp development team
Found 1 device(s):
04e8:6860 @ bus 1, dev 8
Attempting to connect device(s)
PTP_ERROR_IO: Trying again after re-initializing USB interface
LIBMTP PANIC: Could not open session! (Return code 767)
Try to reset the device.
Unable to open raw device 0
OK.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Siard

Mark Neidorff:
> Miles Fidelman:
> > amazing what one can find with a little googling:
> > http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/how-to-connect-your-android-ice-cream-sa
> > ndwich-phone-to-ubuntu-for-file-access
>
> It doesn't work for me. Here is the error output that I get:
>
> mark@Mark:~$ mtp-detect
> libmtp version: 1.0.3
>
> Listing raw device(s)
> Device 0 (VID=04e8 and PID=6860) is UNKNOWN.
> Please report this VID/PID and the device model to the libmtp
> development team Found 1 device(s):
> 04e8:6860 @ bus 1, dev 8

It's OK, you just need the VID and PID in order to put them into
/etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules.

You might understand a little more of mtpfs after reading this:
www.linux-magazine.com/content/view/full/45191/(offset)/3

For more interesting stuff on MTP in Linux, try the same url, leaving
away the 3 at the end.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:41 AM
Cam Hutchison

Ken Heard <kenslists@teksavvy.com> writes:

>Can anyone tell me how I can transfer files between my Samsung tablet
>with Honeycomb and my Debian boxes with Lenny or Squeeze, using either a
>USB or Bluetooth connection between them? I know I can transfer them by
>e-mail, but that method is cumbersome.

As others have mentioned in this thread, Honeycomb and onwards use MTP as
the protocol for communicating with a USB host instead of MSC (mass storage
class).

I have not found a reliable MTP stack on linux, possibly because the MTP
protocol itself is not very general, so treating the device as a filesystem
is an abstraction mismatch.

Instead, I have install an app called AirDroid on my tablet. This lets me
communicate with the tablet via my browser, and supports transferring
files that way. It does not give the flexibility of treating the device
as a mounted filesystem, but works well enough for my purposes.

I know that's not USB or bluetooth, but hopefully it is still suitable.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:12 AM
Mark Blakeney

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 11:55:54 -0400, Ken Heard wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how I can transfer files between my Samsung tablet
> with Honeycomb and my Debian boxes with Lenny or Squeeze, using either a
> USB or Bluetooth connection between them? I know I can transfer them by
> e-mail, but that method is cumbersome.

Dropbox?

Old 07-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Mika Suomalainen