Old 07-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Kushal Kumaran

Default Transferring files between Samsung tablet and a Debian box

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Mika Suomalainen
<mika.henrik.mainio@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 12.07.2012 20:22, Kushal Kumaran wrote:
>> I hear newer versions of android no longer support the usb mass
>> storage protocol. They use something called Media Transfer
>> Protocol. The libmtp package (and associated utility packages)
>> should help, but I think they are still in debian unstable only.
>
> Maybe that is why it works for me on Sid. I seem to have some of those
> packages installed.

It works for you because you have an older version of Android on your
phone. In newer versions (I think honeycomb onwards), the support for
mass storage is not present. It means that the phone will not act
like a usb hard disk when you plug it in. To interact with the
storage, you have to use software that can speak the Media Transfer
Protocol (or the specific dialect of it that android speaks, I haven't
looked at it in any detail).

> I hope that unchecking USB debugging works.

AFAIK, this has nothing to do with accessing the storage. I have two
pre-honeycomb phones, and I always leave usb debugging turned on, and
I have no problems accessing the phones as usb mass storage devices.
You have to explicitly switch the USB connection type (check the
notifications after you connect a usb cable) to "Mass Storage" or
"Disk Drive" (or whatever text your particular phone uses) for it to
switch to the mass storage protocol. In Honeycomb+, this option has
been removed.

Hope this makes it clearer.

--
regards,
kushal

Fri Jul 13 11:30:01 2012
d=gmail.com; s=20120113;
h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject
:content-type:content-transfer-encoding;
bh=gweYCnAw8z3QEf0/IZBTuXZ6TN3iAhnYZdWZSu6SP3I=;
b=VPbVcpRfCneifCzHClMotv38YNY/MP4Udb+6IqN+Pwz964aO1QtZdzi9z5fpv64NFc
RhDb9AZCpgMoWsnjC10S/ycrUIq1boXs0D7gKaMu191NE9Da3yWAI6MKgM2xDbFjS6yl
iu+KLQ7aMAQgpZ8/Xm6ishYjlEDIG7WyVq2SnHaIMe+YkV9CFmHkq3iSB0mqRMnnVI Mo
d5tA0RsxWu9TN9AR0QS80cNUf4wkdJZM57fjpbbKXaonh89zSn GEs7WVBG0L/G7WyZR1
FnIpFrpHtiW4EZA1V5k40FjsZAcEjxNfzYdLqYRI1Sm0FSPNln AzH3gPvep7sQhfzk7R
GRdg==